Start by marking “Fifty Years of American Poetry: Over 200 Important Works by America's Modern Masters” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Seer, critic, lover, madwoman--the poet's sensibility gives us a chance to experience them all.This rich, wide-ranging collection of work by scores of America's contemporary poets brings you both wisdom and entertainment in short verse.

In it are represented, with one poem each, the chancellors, fellows, and award winners of the Academy of American Poets since 1934.The resu
Published August 1st 1995 by Laurel

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Years of American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Years of American Poetry

I remember that I was 17 or 18 at the time, browsing through a bookstore, when I first found this book. I flipped to a random page—Muriel Rukeyser’s “Effort at Speech Between Two People”—and was struck at how a short poem written by someone from the other side of the world, 70 years separate from me in time, could speak to me so deeply.

Ten years after that incident, I return again to this book, bringing with me ten years’ worth of poetry-reading and ten years’ worth of living. It collects about
This is one of my favorite poetry anthologies. The selection of modern poems is wonderful, and a good introduction to each poet's work. Although it's a mass market paperback, the font is a nice one and plenty of white space is left on the page.
Laura Verret
Earlier on in the book, the poems were lyrical, metrical, and fun to read. However, the further into the book I got, the more modern and erratic the poems became.
1984 hardback by Harry Abrams Publishers
Nute marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Marissa Miller
Marissa Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Maryam Arabi
Maryam Arabi is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Tina added it
May 05, 2015
Silvia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
John added it
Feb 16, 2015
Lucas Clark
Lucas Clark marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Tracey Friesland
Tracey Friesland marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Mary Spencer
Mary Spencer marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Alanie is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2014