Start by marking “Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension” as Want to Read:
Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension

Spaceland: A Novel of the Fourth Dimension

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Joe Cube is a Silicon Valley hotshot--well, a would-be hotshot anyway--hoping that the 3-D TV project he's managing will lead to the big money IPO he's always dreamed of. On New Year's Eve, hoping to impress his wife, he sneaks home the prototype. It brings no new warmth to their cooling relationship, but it does attract someone else's attention.
When Joe sees a set of lip
Published July 1st 2003 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Spaceland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spaceland

Ahmed Khalifa
Ludicrously bad, so bad that it was unputdownable. Rudy Rucker is obviously a [insert real profession] first and a writer fourteenth. The characters are one-dimensional and archetypal, the plot is meandering, the pacing is loose, the twists are telegraphed and the prose is juvenile.

All that said, Rucker takes the time and research to make his depiction of what a fourth dimensional experience would be like as accurate and compelling as possible. This is sci-fi at its best, theoretically speaking.
Bruce
I love Rudy Rucker, don't get me wrong, but this is not one of his best books.

It contains the usual-- mathematically sound extradimensional romps with wacky names and gonzo characters. But as other reviewers have commented the juice isn't flowing so much on this one.

Rucker writes according to his doctrine of the "transreal," heavily incorporating elements from his regular life. In his earlier books you will see lots of gratuitous drug use of substances real and otherwise. Here you see his transi
Kenny
SPACELAND is a continuation of the ruminations on dimensionality first begun over one hundred years ago in Abbot's "Flatland," continued in the 60s with "Sphereland," culminating (or maybe not) with Rucker's "Spaceland."

Rudy Rucker has one of the most fertile and flexible minds currently working on SF subject matter. In this case, his foray into trying to explain fourth-dimensionality uses the methodology of his predecessors (going to the next lower dimension to show how easily we perceive it an
Mclane
Interesting idea, but poorly executed. Is the flatness of the characters intentional? Because that would be clever in a way, though still almost unreadable.
It seemed as though the author were taking a 2D example from lecture and folding, duct-taping, and wishing it into the shape of a novel. I'd be interested to read some of his non-fic, but I was happy to finally put this down.
Amanda
Dec 25, 2014 Amanda marked it as to-read
this just became available to me from my wishlist on pbs and i can't decide if i should buy a credit and get it. I've only read one Rudy Rucker book-The Hollow Earth: The Narrative of Mason Algiers Reynolds of Virginia but it was excellent. I already have 2 other of his books that i haven't read, but who knows when this one will become available again as it's not a popular book. OH decisions, decisions! As a founding father of cyberpunk and a twice PKD award winner, as well as a brilliant scient ...more
Kyrie
Spaceland is definitely less science/math oriented than the others I've read in this grouping. It's also geared more to an adult audience.
It lacks the charm of Flatland, to which the author pays homage.
It also reads like a what I tend to call a "guy book". Not that I think all guys are clueless idiots when it comes to women, but there's a lot of that in this book. To be fair, women come off as clueless idiots as well.
The ending was pretty good, but overall, no, I just didn't really like the boo
D.L. Morrese
I made it about halfway through before giving up on this book. I very seldom do that, but if the characters fail to appeal to me after 150 pages, chances are they won't ever. I could not force myself to care about what happened to them. They're quite unlikeable, in fact, and the plot and setting were not interesting enough to overcome that for me. Don't let this prevent you from trying it. I'm sure there are people this book will appeal to. TOR liked it enough to publish it, after all. It just w ...more
Greg
This was much less focused on the science and more on a story that relied on the science compared to the other Flatland spawns I've read. The story reminded me of early Christopher Moore and so it was fun in that way. It did, at times, make the idea of the fourth dimension come alive better than any of the others because it dealt strictly with how humans would experience this do,ensign. I also appreciated the nod to Planiverse by including Drabk.
lisa
Apr 27, 2010 lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone with a lot of time, patients or bad taste
Okeh, so I got half-way through, and the real obstacle to finishing isn't the difficulty in wrapping my head around analogies about the 4th Dimension, it's the terrible prose and the uninteresting shallow characters. If I had more time to devote to something so poorly written, than maybe I would allow myself a chapter a week of this "junk food" book, but as it stands right now, it's just not worth it.
Mark Sequeira
So I believe from what I've read that Rudy Rucker is quite knowledgeable and readable regarding extra dimensions...but as a fiction writer I was let down. I wanted to like this book but it was nowhere near being good fiction. Some of the explanations make you think but would have been better served being in a non-fiction book about space/time/science.
Kathleen
Ridiculous book... It kind of like what would flatland or sphereland be like if it happened to humans in the modern era. The parts that I remember most are that the poor girlfriend of the main character was constantly described in terms of her oily/pimply skin. And that we could imagine exactly how streets and cafes in "Los Perros" mapped onto Los Gatos.
Jake Parks
Dude, the 4th physical dimension blows my mind. Rudy Rucker is a smart guy who I am pretty sure is a string theorist and is using fictional books to open people's minds to the idea of extra physical dimensions. He uses a comparison of 3D people looking at 2D people to describe what 4D people see when looking at 3D people. Get it?
Martin Stein
Entertaining SF from an author who understands the male mind very well.

Set in Silicon Valley with a lot of references to real places, people this book quickly takes off into a physics thought experiment. It is still quite entertaining and a kind of Gilgamesh epos feel.
Nancy
The 4th dimension pieces were ok, but the plot was dumb and the characters were uninteresting. I guess my expectations were too high-- I expected to be blown away by a novel with the 4th dimension woven into it. It was a struggle to finish. So disappointed!
Yelena Malcolm
I liked Flatland and was ready to really like this. It was, as the stars say, just OK. I didn't dislike it and I didn't love it. I would not have chosen not to read it if given the chance, but it seemed more like an exercise and less like a fully developed story.
Andrea
Really different from books I "normally" read - i.e., I don't read much science fiction - but this was entertaining. A little hard to read in some parts, a little too much description sometimes, but a quick read and a nice escape book.
Ethan Bagley
Interesting and funny. Honestly, trying to wrap your brain around a 3-dimensional person's experiences in a further dimension is sort of hard. Lots of great visualization queues from the author, and a plot that keeps it interesting.
Thomas
I love Rudy Rucker, I really do. But as I've started reading his fiction again recently, I'm finding that it's his non-fiction works that really draw me in. This book, while entertaining, just didn't quite do it for me.
Joanne
One of very few books I read partway and put down. The writing was fair, but the plot was sub par. As a fan of a vast variety of science fiction and fantasy, I feel I can say with feeling- this just isn't me. Blech.
Thom Foolery
The dot.com insanity of The Hacker and the Ants meets Rucker's love of the 4th dimension, and beyond, FTW!
Samantha Balmes
Fantastic! Quite the ride through dimensional travel. Fun twist and fantastical food to make you drool. Weird science and definitely a good read for anyone who loves physics, math, and technology.
Jesse
This guy writes books that are so outlandish, you can barely wrap yer head around it. One of the few science fiction authors with a firm grasp of both theoretical physics and plot structure.
Julia Stanton
While the plot was a bit bland, the explanations behind the fourth dimension were really intricate and at times mind-blowing.
D.J.
Not too bad, but the characters were so cookie-cutter from his other work (the plot too in places) it sort of felt phoned in.
Natalya
This was a fun read, although I didn't find the human characters very likable.
David Molnar
enjoyable, maybe went a bit long.
Rob
Messed up, twisted, 4-D fun!
Wojood
Wojood marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • Sphereland: A Fantasy about Curved Spaces and an Expanding Universe
  • Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So
  • Eclipse Penumbra (A Song Called Youth, #2)
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
  • MultiReal (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #2)
  • Implied Spaces
  • Seeds of Change
  • Luminous
  • Ventus
  • The Walls of the Universe (Universe, #1)
  • The Execution Channel
  • Celestial Matters
  • The Turing Test
  • The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque
  • Spin Control
  • Natural Symbols: Explorations in Cosmology
  • Ancients of Days (Confluence, #2)
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...
Software (Ware, #1) Wetware (Ware, #2) Freeware (Ware, #3) Postsingular Realware (Ware, #4)