Start by marking “Realware (Ware #4)” as Want to Read:
Realware (Ware #4)

Realware (Ware #4)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  647 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This hilarious finale to the award-winning series offers more cutting-edge science, raucous social satire and deeply informed speculations from one of science fiction's wittiest writers (San Francisco Chronicle)
Published April 1st 2001 by Eos (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Realware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realware

JonSnow
Jul 16, 2016 JonSnow rated it liked it
Book 1 (software) was awesome. A must read.

Book 2 (Wetware) was pretty awesome. Had a kool nee drug called merge which was wicked.

Book 3 was okay.
Book 4 (this one) was kinda a slog

I felt like this fourth book was maybe one too many. It was nice to see it all end, but i found this last book a real slog. after book 3 I was getting a bit tired of the series. it became way too much about the world, and descriptions of weird shit, and sex, than about the characters in book 4. just wasnt holding my at
Laura Rainbow Dragon
Jul 30, 2015 Laura Rainbow Dragon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, rudy-rucker
"Reality," pontificates one of Realware's characters to another, "is, after all, a consensual hallucination," and Rudy Rucker makes a first class run at convincing us this is so.

Phil Gottner is not an ambitious man -- a fact which has long set him at odds with his brilliant mathematician father. Phil figures he's doing okay. He has a job as an assistant chef in a fancy restaurant. He has a place to live: a birdcage room he built himself inside a warehouse he shares with three other tenants. He e
Felix Zilich
Oct 15, 2011 Felix Zilich rated it it was ok
Кулинар Фил Готтнер был разбужен среди ночи печальным сообщением о том, что отца засосала его домашняя черная дыра. Вскоре обнаружилось, смерть старика была далеко не единственной. В сводках показали, что по всему миру последние дни происходят довольно странные и необьяснимые вещи. О сути их происхождения удалось узнать только новой пассии кулинара по имени Йок Мандолл. Согласившись посетить со своим бывшим ухажером острова Тонга, женщина с ужасом обнаружила, что местный туземный король вступил ...more
Chris Craddock
Oct 20, 2015 Chris Craddock rated it it was amazing
The 4th book of a 4 volume tetralogy. All 4 books outstanding. This was a good tying up of all the loose ends as the story followed multiple generations, and the original patriarch was still around, since his soul had been downloaded and reincarnated in a 'moldie' body, half fungus, half robot. Strange drugs and colonies on the moon are part of the story, but also the nature of god and existence. Rudy Rucker is a writer and a math professor and his books combine strange imagination with science, ...more
Christoph
The cycle is complete; it took me 10 years to finish this series with a good three or four year break between Hard and Wet. Ironically, I started this series right around when Realware came out not even realizing it existed. Like the Dune series, this series really went off the deep end trying to outdo the previous book. The further I got into this series the more I felt like it was a young adult novel as he drifted away from the hardcore sex and drugs he pushed in Software, which is what attrac ...more
Sasha Romesburg
Aug 12, 2015 Sasha Romesburg rated it it was ok
I'm near certain that if I'd read the series in order, I would rate this higher. as it stands I picked this up at a dollar store when I desperately needed something to read, was as lost as one would expect with such intricate world-building. I love Rudy Rucker's short stories, and I intend to start this series from the beginning. I will change my rating when that happens, for sure.
Mark Schomburg
Jan 12, 2013 Mark Schomburg rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
A little kilpy for a ware book. The allas leave me deflated in the same way that the matter converters of Farmer's Riverworld did. You can create anything instantly. Great. Now all we have to do is wait for the author to put it to use interestingly... for Rucker, that's not usually a problem, but you know, when the limits are taken away completely, who wants to wait for the book to load into one's head. The level of cultural & philosophical critique in this book seems so simplistic, that it' ...more
Jul 03, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I thought of this one. Yes, there were robots and not-robots, and surfer-style laidbackness, and the same sort of playful drunken stumble toward utopia as the other three books in this series. This one came with a hefty shot of meta and a surprising* walk-on by the 510 in the end.

*Sorta surprising

Phil
Dec 30, 2011 Phil rated it liked it
For anyone who has read the first three "Ware" books it is worthwhile to finish the tetralogy. However, it is a tall order for Rudy Rucker to compete with the wildly imaginative books that started the cycle. The original book Software was unlike any book I ever read. The ideas were ahead of their time and Rucker's zany take on life, drugs, sex and ice cream trucks was a thrilling ride. By the time the fourth book rolls around the series feels tired. Rucker gives it his best shot by creating alie ...more
Nate
Jul 18, 2013 Nate rated it it was ok
Shelves: cyberpunk
The final chapter of this extremely banal series was, in some ways, the least offensive, although still extremely negative about the nature of human beings. The book spends a pointlessly large amount of time following two characters around Tonga for a while, then jumps back to the expected cast of perverts and druggies that have been hanging around the other three books. The author keeps resurrecting poor Cobb from the first book like Dune's Duncan Idaho (this series actually resembles the Dune ...more
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An alien god visits Earth and begins abducting people. In exchange"," it's distributing devices to people that lets us create anything we can think of.What could possibly go wrong with that?
Dev Null
Publishers who print sequels without any indication on the book that it is part of - and not the start of - a series, should be publicly flogged. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into this one, and I have no idea if the reason for that has anything to do with the fact that its apparently book 4 in a series.

*Edit*

Yeah, I never really managed to get into this, in part because of the aforementioned problem with it assuming information (presumably) in the first three. I'll try to find the others,
Emily
Jun 26, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I'd read Wetware but didn't realize there were 2 other books between that and this, so it's possible I missed something from skipping those. That said, overall it was an interesting look at a possible high tech future, with the (now) fairly usual gritty cyberpunk feel of drugs, decay, and partial anarchy. Basic theme: aliens contact earth, give everyone a way to create absolutely anything they want, chaos ensues. The characters were ok, the world was interesting, but it felt like the details and ...more
Angela Alcorn
Rudy Rucker has reprinted the series as a complete set: The Ware Tetralogy. As a bonus, he's also released the whole Tetralogy as a free PDF available on his site.

The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4) by Rudy Rucker
Brick Marlin
Jul 15, 2012 Brick Marlin rated it it was amazing
Rudy Rucker delivers another great read in The Ware Tetralogy! Anyone who is a fan of cyberpunk should look this author up! Even though I did not own the third book in this series and read 1, 2 and 4, each novel could be considered a stand alone novel. Mr. Rucker does not leave the reader scratching his head about terms he has developed, explaining each one, if you do decide to read these books out of sequence.
Eric
Mar 21, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing

Rudy Rucker is always a pure delight to read.

His writing style is unfettered, and flows from page to page, and is always unique in its perspective. Rucker can make the science in sci-fi supremely palatable, and the fiction deliciously mind-blowing.

This is one of my favorite stories of his.
Nicole G.
Aug 23, 2015 Nicole G. rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, sf-fantasy
I didn't find this as satisfying as the other three. Even the craziness of Freeware was more intriguing than this. I'm glad I finished it to see how the series ended, and the allas are certainly food for thought, but I just think it could have been better.
Bryan
Aug 06, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as "Freeware", but nevertheless a solid final chapter to this series. Some shades of Robert Heinlein in terms of the naivety and simplicity of the characters, but some clever new ideas make this story definitely worth the effort.
Devin
Aug 12, 2014 Devin rated it did not like it
In the final instalment, this series melts into a messy, stupid mishmash. The allusions to Alice in Wonderland hint at what the author possibly had in mind. But what comes out isn't terribly different from watching sausages get made.
Dennis Schvejda
Dec 30, 2012 Dennis Schvejda rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
"Realware" is the fourth book of the "Ware" Tetralogy. Definitely a let down, and a forced read. This series and its 800 pages could have been shortened quite a bit.
Ben
Jun 16, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it
His characters and writing isn't always top-notch, but his setting, events, ideas, and wacky hijinks sure are. The tetralogy is well worth reading.
Julie S.
Feb 13, 2011 Julie S. marked it as own-unsorted
Shelves: own
I own this, but I can't read it (yet) because I've never read 1-3 in the series.
Joyce
Jul 15, 2010 Joyce rated it did not like it
What was I thinking? New genre, in the middle of a series, poor editing, *sigh.*
Jessica Harmon
Jul 27, 2011 Jessica Harmon rated it really liked it
Typically I do not like science fiction, but I LOVED this book!
Tim
Aug 30, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
A fine ending to one weird and fascinating series.
Aaron
Jun 18, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF fans
Fun science fiction!
Michael
Sep 09, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
If you've made it to the 4th Ware book you must be a Rucker fan and know what you're in for. More of the same futuristic stoner dialogue, crazy plotting and inventions galore.
None
Nov 29, 2012 None added it
False
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Mike C
Mike C marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • The Artificial Kid (Context, San Francisco)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Terminal Café
  • Ribofunk
  • Echelon
  • Needle In The Groove
  • Fairyland
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...

Ware (4 books)
  • Software (Ware #1)
  • Wetware (Ware #2)
  • Freeware (Ware #3)

“But Onar turned out to be a poor lover, certainly the worst of Yoke’s
few partners thus far. Onar stinted on the foreplay, made a long messy
fuss of his prophylactic preparations, and was up for at most sixty
seconds of actual coitus. As a final turn-off, Onar said something British
when he came, something like “Cor blimey,” or “Top drawer,” or “Bit of
all right”— Yoke’s outraged brain disdained to retain the phrase.”
1 likes