Start by marking “Realware (Ware, #4)” as Want to Read:
Realware (Ware, #4)

Realware (Ware #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This hilarious finale to the award-winning series offers more cutting-edge science, raucous social satire and deeply informed speculations from one of science fiction's wittiest writers (San Francisco Chronicle)
Published April 1st 2001 by Eos (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Realware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realware

Laura Rainbow Dragon
"Reality," pontificates one of Realware's characters to another, "is, after all, a consensual hallucination," and Rudy Rucker makes a first class run at convincing us this is so.

Phil Gottner is not an ambitious man -- a fact which has long set him at odds with his brilliant mathematician father. Phil figures he's doing okay. He has a job as an assistant chef in a fancy restaurant. He has a place to live: a birdcage room he built himself inside a warehouse he shares with three other tenants. He e...more
Felix Zilich
Кулинар Фил Готтнер был разбужен среди ночи печальным сообщением о том, что отца засосала его домашняя черная дыра. Вскоре обнаружилось, смерть старика была далеко не единственной. В сводках показали, что по всему миру последние дни происходят довольно странные и необьяснимые вещи. О сути их происхождения удалось узнать только новой пассии кулинара по имени Йок Мандолл. Согласившись посетить со своим бывшим ухажером острова Тонга, женщина с ужасом обнаружила, что местный туземный король вступил...more
Christoph
The cycle is complete; it took me 10 years to finish this series with a good three or four year break between Hard and Wet. Ironically, I started this series right around when Realware came out not even realizing it existed. Like the Dune series, this series really went off the deep end trying to outdo the previous book. The further I got into this series the more I felt like it was a young adult novel as he drifted away from the hardcore sex and drugs he pushed in Software, which is what attrac...more
Mark Schomburg
A little kilpy for a ware book. The allas leave me deflated in the same way that the matter converters of Farmer's Riverworld did. You can create anything instantly. Great. Now all we have to do is wait for the author to put it to use interestingly... for Rucker, that's not usually a problem, but you know, when the limits are taken away completely, who wants to wait for the book to load into one's head. The level of cultural & philosophical critique in this book seems so simplistic, that it'...more
Phil
For anyone who has read the first three "Ware" books it is worthwhile to finish the tetralogy. However, it is a tall order for Rudy Rucker to compete with the wildly imaginative books that started the cycle. The original book Software was unlike any book I ever read. The ideas were ahead of their time and Rucker's zany take on life, drugs, sex and ice cream trucks was a thrilling ride. By the time the fourth book rolls around the series feels tired. Rucker gives it his best shot by creating alie...more
Nate
The final chapter of this extremely banal series was, in some ways, the least offensive, although still extremely negative about the nature of human beings. The book spends a pointlessly large amount of time following two characters around Tonga for a while, then jumps back to the expected cast of perverts and druggies that have been hanging around the other three books. The author keeps resurrecting poor Cobb from the first book like Dune's Duncan Idaho (this series actually resembles the Dune...more
Dev Null
Publishers who print sequels without any indication on the book that it is part of - and not the start of - a series, should be publicly flogged. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into this one, and I have no idea if the reason for that has anything to do with the fact that its apparently book 4 in a series.

*Edit*

Yeah, I never really managed to get into this, in part because of the aforementioned problem with it assuming information (presumably) in the first three. I'll try to find the others,...more
Emily
I'd read Wetware but didn't realize there were 2 other books between that and this, so it's possible I missed something from skipping those. That said, overall it was an interesting look at a possible high tech future, with the (now) fairly usual gritty cyberpunk feel of drugs, decay, and partial anarchy. Basic theme: aliens contact earth, give everyone a way to create absolutely anything they want, chaos ensues. The characters were ok, the world was interesting, but it felt like the details and...more
Angela Alcorn
Rudy Rucker has reprinted the series as a complete set: The Ware Tetralogy. As a bonus, he's also released the whole Tetralogy as a free PDF available on his site.

The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4) by Rudy Rucker
Brick Marlin
Rudy Rucker delivers another great read in The Ware Tetralogy! Anyone who is a fan of cyberpunk should look this author up! Even though I did not own the third book in this series and read 1, 2 and 4, each novel could be considered a stand alone novel. Mr. Rucker does not leave the reader scratching his head about terms he has developed, explaining each one, if you do decide to read these books out of sequence.
Eric

Rudy Rucker is always a pure delight to read.

His writing style is unfettered, and flows from page to page, and is always unique in its perspective. Rucker can make the science in sci-fi supremely palatable, and the fiction deliciously mind-blowing.

This is one of my favorite stories of his.
Nicole G.
I didn't find this as satisfying as the other three. Even the craziness of Freeware was more intriguing than this. I'm glad I finished it to see how the series ended, and the allas are certainly food for thought, but I just think it could have been better.
Bryan
Not quite as good as "Freeware", but nevertheless a solid final chapter to this series. Some shades of Robert Heinlein in terms of the naivety and simplicity of the characters, but some clever new ideas make this story definitely worth the effort.
Devin
In the final instalment, this series melts into a messy, stupid mishmash. The allusions to Alice in Wonderland hint at what the author possibly had in mind. But what comes out isn't terribly different from watching sausages get made.
Dennis Schvejda
"Realware" is the fourth book of the "Ware" Tetralogy. Definitely a let down, and a forced read. This series and its 800 pages could have been shortened quite a bit.
Ben
His characters and writing isn't always top-notch, but his setting, events, ideas, and wacky hijinks sure are. The tetralogy is well worth reading.
Julie S.
Feb 13, 2011 Julie S. marked it as own-unsorted
Shelves: own
I own this, but I can't read it (yet) because I've never read 1-3 in the series.
Joyce
What was I thinking? New genre, in the middle of a series, poor editing, *sigh.*
Jessica Williamson
Typically I do not like science fiction, but I LOVED this book!
Tim
Aug 30, 2010 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
A fine ending to one weird and fascinating series.
Aaron
Jun 18, 2008 Aaron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF fans
Fun science fiction!
Michael
If you've made it to the 4th Ware book you must be a Rucker fan and know what you're in for. More of the same futuristic stoner dialogue, crazy plotting and inventions galore.
None
Nov 29, 2012 None added it
False
Jim Woodell
Jim Woodell marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Steve Gase
Steve Gase marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
  • City Come a-Walkin'
  • The Artificial Kid (Context, San Francisco)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Fairyland
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
  • Ribofunk
  • A Signal Shattered
  • Terminal Café
  • Falling Out of Cars
  • Distress
  • Remix
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...
Software (Ware, #1) Wetware (Ware, #2) Freeware (Ware, #3) Postsingular White Light

“But Onar turned out to be a poor lover, certainly the worst of Yoke’s
few partners thus far. Onar stinted on the foreplay, made a long messy
fuss of his prophylactic preparations, and was up for at most sixty
seconds of actual coitus. As a final turn-off, Onar said something British
when he came, something like “Cor blimey,” or “Top drawer,” or “Bit of
all right”— Yoke’s outraged brain disdained to retain the phrase.”
1 likes