Start by marking “Freeware (Ware #3)” as Want to Read:
Freeware (Ware #3)

Freeware (Ware #3)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  939 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Rudy Rucker has seen the future. . .and it is extreme.The Godfather of cyberpunk--a mad scientist bravely meddling in the outrageous and heretical--Rucker created Bopper Robots, who rebelled against human society in his award-winning classic "Software.

Now, in 2053, "moldies" are the latest robotic advancement--evolved artificial lifeforms made of soft plastic and gene-twea
Published March 1st 1998 by Eos (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Freeware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeware

Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonCount Zero by William GibsonDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickMona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson
Best cyberpunk books
44th out of 129 books — 324 voters
Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickAltered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Best of Cyberpunk
84th out of 223 books — 917 voters

More lists with this book...

Florin Pitea
Oct 25, 2015 Florin Pitea rated it it was ok
Read it in preparation of my Ph D Thesis. It was okay, but not up my alley.
JonSnow
Jun 27, 2016 JonSnow rated it really liked it
Loved it! These books just get more and more far out! To begin... my complaints... I will say this one had a different "vibe" to it than the first two. I found the out of sequence non-linearity of the first half+ to be a bit disorientating. It was difficult to follow the timeline because of it's constant jumpings into future/past past/future past/past... etc... despite the chapters being labeled by date...About 2/3 of the way through the book it finally cuts out that non-sense and returns to lin ...more
Natasha Powell
Jan 03, 2015 Natasha Powell rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read when I was able to check out the "Adult Books" in the library and one of the first Sci-Fi novels that stirred my fascination with the weird and uncommon. I enjoyed the complexity of the story plot, and even though I read this book before reading the first two, this book did what most books in a series can't. It could've been a stand alone novel.

Rudy Rucker explained things I might have missed through action and dialogue and didn't waste my time with long paragraph
Christoph
Aug 30, 2011 Christoph rated it liked it
Rucker is back again in the third part of this tetralogy. This go around, the moldies, a funambulist life-form that, although superior to humans, are living out a mostly subservient life on Earth while a large colony of them are self-exiled deep within the moon. Meanwhile, a fundamentalist religion has arisen opposing their mere existence on Earth blaming them for the debaucherous habits of humans, called cheeseballs, who like to use them for masturbatory purposes. These mysterious Heritagists a ...more
Felix Zilich
В финале предыдущего романа эволюция на планете делала совершенно непредсказуемый шаг. Созданный концерном IDSL вирус-чипоид не только уничтожил на Луне за пару дней всех роботов-бопперов, но при этом еще и оказался главной причиной эволюционного скачка экспериментальной биомассы, служившей раньше только для создания “плащей счастья”.

Спустя 20 лет после этих событий человечество почти смирилось с существованием своих новых соседей по разуму. “Молди” способны принять любой облик, но они не в сос
KMO
Feb 08, 2008 KMO rated it it was amazing
Here's the review I posted to Amazon:

I loved this book. It's light in style and narrative structure, and Rucker doesn't take himself at all serriously. Rudy Rucker is a brilliant mathmetician and science fiction writer, and his protagonist, Randy Karl Tucker, is an uneducated redneck, whose primary passion is for sex with artificial life forms that smell of cheese. Other characters include a down-to-earth California surfer girl who, along with her stoner mathmatician husband, runs a fleabag sea-
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An engineered mold has wiped out the Boppers"," and incidentally destroyed all chip-based technology on Earth. From the ashes rises a new kind of artificial intelligence"," the Moldies. Now humans and Moldies cooperate"," and occasionally try to control each other's minds. That is"," until aliens arrive"," borne on cosmic rays"," and try to take over everyone.
Markus Jevring
Mar 07, 2013 Markus Jevring rated it did not like it
This book was absolute garbage. I quite liked the first book in the trilogy. I had my reservations. The second one was also quite ok, but then for the third, this book, he pulled out all the stops and everything turned to shit. This is one of the few books I have had the dissatisfaction of actually not finishing. It's that bad. Avoid this book if you can. Because of this book, I will never again read Rudy Rucker. If you want to still like Rucker, stop at the first book, Software.
Jun 13, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
More robots, but more *organic*, slightly stinky, charming, fittingly located in California coastal town. But still Florida and the Moon lurk. Oh yes. They're there. They await the plot. THEY AWAIT.
Jim Wolfe
Mar 22, 2014 Jim Wolfe rated it really liked it
Muy deschavetado, clásico de Rucker. Tiene escenas de sexo explicito y extensivo uso de drogas, lo digo como aviso para los lectores que se ofenden por ese tipo de cosas.
places to be
non of so many authors as Rudy Rucker *; #@RudyRucker
Angela Alcorn
Rudy Rucker has reprinted the series as a complete set: The Ware Tetralogy. As a bonus, he's also released the whole Tetralogy as a free PDF available on his site.

The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4) by Rudy Rucker
Jennifer Seyfried
Oct 15, 2015 Jennifer Seyfried rated it liked it
Still good if you're a fan of the first two, but maybe not as good as they were. He does keep finding new ways for androids to evolve, to become more "human," and for humans to embrace the process. And to still be oh so human. In addition, now there are aliens. I kind of question that addition, and I think that's why I didn't like this one as much as the first two. You can be sure that I am still hooked enough to read the next one!
Mark Schomburg
Dec 20, 2012 Mark Schomburg rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great first half. Then starts picking up the pieces of the earlier novels and gets blocky. Odd that the undersea creatures of one chapter don't also receive the moldie treatment - a little inconsistent, which changes the overall tone of the book, jarringly by its sudden naturalism. The reader shouldn't be temporarily removed from such a strange world as this, because it disrupts the unreality onslaught.
Nicole G.
Aug 23, 2015 Nicole G. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, sf-fantasy
These just keep getting stranger . . . Now the new robots have formed out of the mold and algae, and are known as moldies. Humans don't like moldies too much, except as menial workers and the like. Although some humans like having sex with the moldies; their smell is a turn-on for the "cheeseballs." Bizarre, but now I have to know how it all ends!
Miodrag Mitic
Follows the Software and Wetware books. The bottom line is that the chip mold virus that destroyed the "boppers" has produced a new life form called "moldies". Confused? Well start reading! The series is very funny and most entertaining. Specially, when human "cheeseballs" who have sex with moldies in this latest installment.
Dennis Schvejda
Dec 30, 2012 Dennis Schvejda rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
"Freeware" is the third book of "The Ware Tetralogy." The mainframes and robots have been destroyed by a chip mold, giving way to a new computational/artificial intelligence platform, the "moldies," made of soft plastic and gene-tweaked molds and algae. Not as good as the first two books!
Bryan
Aug 06, 2011 Bryan rated it really liked it
The series finally begins to hit its straps. In "moldies", Rucker creates a whole new type of artificial intelligence, with endless possibilities for new stories and ideas. Some clever characters, funny moments and genuinely original plot directions make this an engaging read.
John
Dec 20, 2009 John rated it liked it
trippy perspective which was the authors intent and having a science background the perplexing n dimensional poultry dilemma was a cute idea but the rambling plot had no real point....but maybe that's the point....anyhow...fresh and def santa cruz and was a fun read
Chryssy Taylor
Feb 08, 2012 Chryssy Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This was an intense journey, told from the different perspectives of very richly elaborate characters. There were times that my suspension of disbelief was put to the text, but Rucker artfully caught my near falls every time. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Eric
Mar 01, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
I liked the story, its just sometimes he is a little hard to read. The cover claimed he is a cult hero among Cyberpunkers, which is all fine and good. I wonder if some of the stuff he wrote into this story is a little beyond the scope of cyberpunk.
Devin
Jul 28, 2014 Devin rated it liked it
The world of the "-ware" series is wacky, drug-infested and sex obsessed. So... it's fun. Right? Even funny. It is all those things. And yet this world is also starting to wear a little thin with this installment.
Mike Franklin
Aug 21, 2015 Mike Franklin marked it as owned-rejected
Shelves: science-fiction
The first in this tetralogy was very good but the second was so terrible I didn't finish it and I can't bring myself to pick up the third and fourth, which I've heard are worse still. Life is too short.
J.M.
This was the first book I read that really meshed erotica and science fiction in an interesting story I couldn't put down.
KK
Oct 04, 2007 KK rated it it was ok
bot it at a book sale just for its price. is a nice introduction to rudy rucker.
Robert
Dec 24, 2008 Robert rated it did not like it
ugh don't read this. Maybe his earlier book "Software" is better...
Paul
Nov 27, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok
Lost interest, too many other books I'd rather read.
Chris Craddock
Oct 22, 2015 Chris Craddock rated it it was amazing
3 of 4 books. Read them all. Really liked them.
Tim
Aug 25, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
It just gets weirder and weirder.
Jaime
Mar 31, 2014 Jaime rated it liked it
Clasico Rucker
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Heavy Weather
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
  • The Terminal State (Avery Cates, #4)
  • Redrobe
  • The Exile Kiss
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...

Ware (4 books)