Start by marking “Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship” as Want to Read:

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Recipient of a Christianity Today 1993 Critics Choice Award! Third Place Winner of Christianity Today's Book of the Year list award! The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels is unique among reference books on the Bible, the first volume of its kind since James Hastings published his Dictionary of Christ and the Gospels in 1909. In the more than eight decades since Hastings ...more
Published February 18th 1992 by IVP Academic (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels

Sue
Definitely a great resource for NT studies, published in 1992 with recent research, voices of many scholars with references to source works, straight-forward language, readable, more than 900 pages, many articles of interest to me. I can see referring to it for many years.
Brian Leport
Great resource.
Dan Glover
This is not the kind of book you sit down and read cover-to-cover but I have been using it over the years when I study Christ and the gospels. It is at a fairly scholarly level but it is accessible to college level students and intelligent lay people. While most of the contributers are basically evangelical, much source criticism and higher criticism assumptions have been adopted in these articles but for the discerning reader, this is still a very valuable tool.
Daniel Alvers
I didn't read all of this book. However i read a ton of it for New Testament I. Excellent book that I will use many times in my ministry. Good for deep questions about scripture and historical backgrounds. Good discussions.
David Campton
Great reference book from an unashamedly evangelical, but thorough-going academic perspective... But anyone who says they have read it all is telling porkies... With the possible exceptions of the authors!
Seth Channell
This is a great reference work for the gospels. Read many of the articles in this work and found them to be informative and helpful. A comprehensive work.
Don
Talbot Course: Exegesis of the Gospels
Excellent Dictionary! Must have! Very easy and quick to use, but thorough!
Kirk Miller
Informative.
Very useful.
Not the most engaging reading; but that's expected.
Glen
Sensational. I've used this for many research projects and lessons.
Julie
An excellent resource. I use it quite a bit in my study.
George sato
It is helpful in understanding the Bible.
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Virginia Beam
Virginia Beam marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
tu
tu marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Anthony Nguyen
Anthony Nguyen marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
Apr 20, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Dictionary of Paul and His Letters: A Compendium of Contempoary Biblical Scholarship
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Greek New Testament
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • Romans
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • A Survey of the New Testament
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity and Diversity of Scripture
Joel B. Green (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament interpretation and associate dean of the Center for Advanced Theological Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. Prior to moving to Fuller, he taught at Asbury Theological Seminary for ten years. He is editor-in-chief of the Journal of Theological Interpretation and has authored or edited numerous boo ...more
More about Joel B. Green...
The Gospel of Luke Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts Wesley Study Bible-NRSV Seized by Truth: Readng the Bible as Scripture The Theology of the Gospel of Luke