Start by marking “Wetware (Ware #2)” as Want to Read:
Wetware (Ware #2)

Wetware (Ware #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,588 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In 2030, bopper robots in their lunar refuge have founds a way to infuse DNA wetware with their own software code. The result is a new lifeform: the meatbop. Fair is fair, after all. Humans built the boppers, now bops are building humans. . .sort of. Its all part of an insidious plot thats about to ensnare Della Taze--who doesnt think she killed her lover while in drug-ind ...more
Published April 1st 1988 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Wetware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wetware

Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickAltered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Best of Cyberpunk
40th out of 216 books — 909 voters
Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonCount Zero by William GibsonMona Lisa Overdrive by William GibsonDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Best cyberpunk books
41st out of 120 books — 312 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
I enjoyed Software, the first book in Rucker's Ware series, but this second installment was even better. The ideas were more unique and disturbing and took the logical steps forward that a series should which deals with artificial intelligence. For being such a slim read, it packs a punch and leaves the reader's mind scurrying down endless possible paths of what will happen next in the future Rucker has created.

I just love that as far this book is concerned, intelligence is intelligence, regard
Angela Alcorn
Rudy Rucker has reprinted the series as a complete set: The Ware Tetralogy. As a bonus, he's also released the whole Tetralogy as a free PDF available on his site.

The Ware Tetralogy (Ware, #1-4) by Rudy Rucker
Andrew
Sep 01, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rudy Rucker is something of an unsung hero of the Cyberpunk movement. Rudy should rightfully be considered the third aspect in a trinity that would include Bruce Sterling and William Gibson. In fact, one of my favourite stories in the seminal Mirroshades anthology—absolutely fundamental to understanding Cyberpunk—is Rudy’s Tales of Houdini. Possibly one of the earliest examples—along with Software—of posthuman or transhumanist literature; Wetware spins the central conceit of Software (humans dow ...more
Simon
Dec 23, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Another melting pot of ideas presenting the authors weird vision of the future of humans and robots and their uneasy, unharmonious relationship. No doubt greatly influenced by Asimov's earlier robot stories but here is a much more up to date exploration of AI by a man well qualified in the field. Like it's predecessor, Software, this also won the Philip K. Dick award.

Despite this however, the story is all over the place with barmy plot developments and unfathomable character motivations; they ju
Allan MacDonell
Jul 11, 2014 Allan MacDonell rated it it was amazing
You can’t always tell the robots from the humans from the robotically engineered flesh-encased humanoids in Rudy Rucker’s Wetware, and neither can many of the book’s characters. A warp-speed evolution of technology and ethics twists Rucker’s future into the kind of place where protagonists and antagonists and the gawking supporting cast are occasionally called upon to stop and explain the day’s scientific developments to one another, speculating to what ends these advancements are being deployed ...more
Luke Burrage
Finally got to the end! I think cyberpunk might not be for me.

Full review of Software and Wetware on my podcast, SFBRP episode #not-sure-yet-probably-about-227-or-228.
Mike Franklin
The first book in Rucker’s Ware Tetralogy was okay but I had this to say about the ending:

The end was simply dreadful; it just fizzled out. There was very little conclusion and a lot of untied loose ends. It was so bad I was literally looking around for missing pages. Will I read the remaining books in the tetralogy? Probably as I have bought them as an omnibus, but another ending like that one will likely stop me dead.

Well I didn’t even reach the ending in this second book – Wetware – it was si
Ashryn
May 12, 2015 Ashryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This one delves more deeply into the philosophy of meat and consciousness than the first in this series and for that reason was a more engaging read.

The characters have something of the dr Seuss about them still, individuals don't leave an impression and are interchangeable depending on their function... eg A female character's prime importance is about whether she can reproduce, similarly, a male who can't reproduce becomes less important to the plot because the plot is focusing on that idea a
Mike
Dec 17, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
"Wetware," the second book in the Ware series, picks up 20 years after the events of "Software." Earth has attacked the colony of "boppers," intelligent robots living on the moon, and driven them underground. Since then, an uneasy truce has been obtained between the humans and robots. Earth needs the cloned organs that the robots produce on the moon, and the robots require petroleum and raw materials from earth. As the story takes off, this equilibrium is shattered by a robot plot to unleash "me ...more
Anthony
Jan 19, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing
If William S Burroughs and William Gibson had a strange lovechild...no, that is not doing justice to the weirdness that inhabits Rudy Rucker's 'Ware Tetralogy. While the first of the books, Software, introduced us to the boppers and their quest for immortality (via eating human brains), this book, Wetware, takes the story of the boppers to the next logical plateau: boppers want to merge with the wetware of the humans. He does this by first setting up the means by which boppers will be able to me ...more
Felix Zilich
2031 год. После восстания лунных роботов-бопперов против своих старейшин прошло уже десять лет. За это время люди смогли вернуть себе поверхность спутника и переименовать бывшую бопперскую столицу в город Эйнштейн. Недобитые механизмы окопались после этих событий в недрах Луны, откуда и ведут по сей день свою активную подрывную деятельность, продолжая мечтать о дне расплаты.

В это время на Земле появился новый наркотик, который быстро стал проклятием всего человечества. Он называется “слив”, так
Michael
Mar 07, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok
I guess it was about 10 years ago when a guy I'd done some work for couldn't afford to pay me in cash, so he gave me a pile of books by Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling, Jack Womack and maybe a couple of other so-called cyberpunks. We had a mutual interest in theoretical mathematics and philosophy and he was of the opinion that these books would appeal to me. Which they did. Despite my distaste for what I perceived as the sci-fi aesthetic (aliens, big laser guns, android babes, etc.), the cyberpunks ...more
Chris
Aug 28, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
With a very much matured writing style, Wetware is quite a lot better than Software - and the genre-blending is fabulous. I'm curious what exactly Rucker was reading that inspired the noir/sci-fi crossover, and what exactly the timing was (sure, it's not at all unique any more, but it was at one point!)... but it's a brilliantly fun, well-paced narrative.

This series is excellent. There are a whole lot of people sleeping on Ware - I think I'll be gifting this to quite a lot of friends.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The free robots known as “Boppers” have started putting control mechanisms into human brains"," creating “Meaties","” but that's not enough for them. They're trying to make fast-growing human children with programming built into their DNA. If the robots can't beat us"," they'll outbreed us.
Dmitry Verkhoturov
Apr 26, 2015 Dmitry Verkhoturov rated it it was ok
Гораздо слабее первой книги, автор решил напустить побольше шоковых вещей, как в "Чужом в стране чужих", но не добавил ничего сверх — вся книга это просто насилие, секс, наркотики, канибализм, много действий и мало смысла. Есть взрывающийся вертолёт.
Alecsandra Velez
Jun 27, 2015 Alecsandra Velez rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-future
difficult read but interesting ideas
Nicole G.
Aug 23, 2015 Nicole G. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, sf-fantasy
This book takes place twenty years after the events in "Software." In the intervening years, the humans have taken over the bopper civilization on the moon, and forced the boppers underground. The boppers are attempting to get their own back by attempting to merge their information with human, making what is termed a meatbop. The world-building is more developed here than in the first book. I'm really enjoying these.
Heini
Aug 08, 2011 Heini rated it it was ok
Tämä ei ollut ihan minun makuuni. Paljon mässäiltiin ihmisten oman onnen tavoittelulla ja välinpitämättömyydellä toisia kohtaan. Kenelläkään ei mennyt hyvin. Lopusta pidin hämmästyttävää kyllä, koska se lupasi sentään jotain onnellisuutta, mistä syystä se ei kuitenkaan sopinut kokonaisuuteen.
Devin
Jul 15, 2014 Devin rated it really liked it
A crazy thrill-ride of a story that oozes cyberpunk from every orifice - a few of them invented along the way. It brims with the excess that would eventually send the genre into more sedate territory. But in the meantime, it has left this messy, delicious read in its wake.
Tai Viinikka
Jan 09, 2008 Tai Viinikka rated it liked it
Recommended to Tai by: WTD
A quick one, and he throws out some ideas that were novel at the time. Their freshness still echoes. But the plotting went quite wide of the mark. This is not Neuromancer.

I do like the idea of just giving Florida to the old people. :)
Dmadden
Oct 31, 2008 Dmadden rated it liked it
Also good. The Kerouac/Poe references were great, and I finally realized that Imipolex(-G) is actually from Pyncheon. Unfortunately the Happy Cloak thing really ruined it for me.
HeavyReader
Jun 09, 2008 HeavyReader rated it it was ok
Shelves: sciencefiction
I didn't really like Software, so why did I read the sequel? Maybe Software and Wetware came together in one book? I don't really remember.
Bryan
Aug 06, 2011 Bryan added it
A creative story, but a little uneven and hokey in parts. Main role seems to be as a bridge between "Software" that precedes it and "Freeware" that follows.
Brick Marlin
May 28, 2012 Brick Marlin rated it it was amazing
Another great cyberpunk novel from the master himself! I'm really digging the fact of uncovering authors who I have never heard of. It is like buried treasure!
Dennis Schvejda
Dec 30, 2012 Dennis Schvejda rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The second book of The Ware Tetralogy, "Wetware" was also awarded the Philip K. Dick Award. Better than the first book, much more going on!
Les
Jan 11, 2016 Les rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Another good story, infused with plenty of the philosophy and sensibilities of the 60s culture.
Tracy
Oct 03, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I loved the *ware series by Rudy Rucker. All of his books are very funny and thought provoking.
Amanda
Jan 26, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Great book- funny and clever. I think I'm just a bit Ruckered out of it lately.
Jeffrey Hart
Jun 26, 2008 Jeffrey Hart rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Loved this book. The robots decide they need to be more organic. Find out what happens.
Jim
Sep 29, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
Read this over the summer. Fun scifi a different view of the cyberpunk genre.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN wrong for Rudy Rucker's Wetware 3 26 Jun 12, 2013 10:26AM
  • The Artificial Kid (Context, San Francisco)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Headcrash
  • Elvissey
  • Strange Toys
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #1)
  • Points of Departure
  • King of Morning, Queen of Day
  • Growing Up Weightless
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Metrophage
  • Life
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...

Ware (4 books)