Start by marking “Utilitarianism and Other Essays” as Want to Read:
Utilitarianism and Other Essays

Utilitarianism and Other Essays

Clear, eloquent and profound, Mill's Utilitarianism has had an enormous influence on moral philosophy and is the idea introduction to ethics.

Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832) was a reformer who applied the test of utility to the law and politics of his day. Legislators must aim at 'the greatest happiness of the greatest number,' and Bentham explained in minute detail how they mig

Published March 26th 1987 by Penguin Classics (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Utilitarianism and Other Essays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utilitarianism and Other Essays

J. S. Mill

--From A System of Logic
--'Bentham'
--'Coleridge'
--'Whewell on Moral Philosophy'

--Utilitarianism

Further Reading
Index
Darwin8u
Mar 04, 2013 Darwin8u rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, 2013
Read it again in 2013 after reading Dickens' Hard Times just to make sure JSM wasn't as crass as the industrial, totally rationalized society, Utilitarians presented in 'Hard Times'. He wasn't, and so it is still safe for me to still have some affection for Utilitarianism as an ism.

***

Since I hadn't read Mill since college, I figured it was high time to revisit his famous ethical essay on, and defense of, social utility, justice and the greatest-happiness principle. I remember loving the clarity
Awab AlSaati
Jan 15, 2016 Awab AlSaati rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This being, more or less, the first book of ‘raw’ philosophy that I read, proved (pun intended) most utile to my introduction to this particular area.
I’m not going to get into Jeremy Bentham’s Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, because quite honestly I didn’t give much attention to it. Because on the one hand, I didn’t make much sense of it, being the debutant I am, and the fact that it’s a bit passé.
But then comes John Stuart Mill with an exquisite essay on liberty, in
Kalle Wescott
Oct 22, 2015 Kalle Wescott rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I am convinced that Bentham, in addition to his philosophy about morals, economics, and the government, might be a good CEO, with John Stuart Mills a natural COO to not only interpret his theories (as he has done, with his own bent and twists), but to run operations for the greatest good for all.
Thomas
May 30, 2008 Thomas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Philosophy Fans and Such
Only a great mind (Mill was so advanced that he had a mental breakdown before the age of 5) could give something so seemingly obvious and simple and expound on it until you forgot the original thesis. Definitely a positive and interesting way to approach and live your life (and a shout-out to fans of Lost for John Locke's character now being called Jeremy Bentham!)
Nat
Aug 15, 2007 Nat rated it really liked it
Shelves: readpartof
I should have ordered this book for the Phil Perspectives class instead of the Hackett edition of Utilitarianism. This includes selections from Bentham's Principles of Morals and Legislation, as well as the whole text of Utilitarianism and Mill's essays on Bentham and Coleridge (which are more interesting in some ways than Utilitarianism itself).
Ling
Sep 12, 2013 Ling rated it really liked it
I am not usually a big fan of philosophy but I really enjoyed Utilitarianism. Mill is a capable writer in getting his thoughts across. His definition of utilitarianism and his understanding in commensurating of happiness has provided quite a bit of comfort.

Along with On Liberty, this book is John Stuart Mill at his finest.
Brance Long
Im way over my head by this book. Help me!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Prue
Prue marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
MULAZAM
MULAZAM marked it as to-read
Amit Singh
Amit Singh marked it as to-read
Falak
Falak marked it as to-read
stillslow
stillslow marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Sarah added it
Sep 04, 2016
Ana Franco
Ana Franco rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2016
Maja Zmaja
Maja Zmaja rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Igor Piovezan
Igor Piovezan is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Daniel Dickson
Daniel Dickson rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Jahongo SN
Jahongo SN marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
SuperstringPotato
SuperstringPotato marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Mark Glidden
Mark Glidden marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Asier Marqués
Asier Marqués marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Bojangles
Bojangles marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Steve Walker
Steve Walker rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Paola Caceres
Paola Caceres marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • The Problem of Knowledge
  • An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion
  • Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion/The Natural History of Religion (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong
  • The Human Touch: Our Part in the Creation of a Universe
  • Toward a New Cold War: Essays on the Current Crisis & How We Got There
  • Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia
  • Perpetrators Victims Bystanders: The Jewish Catastrophe 1933-1945
  • The Elements of Law, Natural and Politic: Part I: Human Nature; Part II: de Corpore Politico with Three Lives
  • Among the Dead Cities: The History and Moral Legacy of the WWII Bombing of Civilians in Germany and Japan
  • Guardians of Power: The Myth of the Liberal Media
John Stuart Mill, British philosopher, political economist, civil servant and Member of Parliament, was an influential liberal thinker of the 19th century. He was an exponent of utilitarianism, an ethical theory developed by Jeremy Bentham, although his conception of it was very different from Bentham's.
More about John Stuart Mill...