Start by marking “The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen

The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for ISBN-10: 1500713775 / ISBN-13: 9781500713775.

>>> Reviewed and awarded the 2016 Indie Editor's Choice by the Historical Novel Society.
>>> Long listed for the Historical Novel Society 2017 Indie Award.

Ankhesenamun grew up a princess and became queen at age 13. Her husband, the famed King Tut, was 9. They were expe
Paperback, 2nd Edition (revised) with Sneak Peek at "The Forgotten #2: Heir of the Heretic", 556 pages
Published October 29th 2015 by CreateSpace (first published August 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Zoe Saadia
Mar 16, 2014 Zoe Saadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

A lover of historical fiction, especially novels put in unusual, "unexplored" by historical fiction, times and places, this novel gratified the reader in me greatly, leaving me satisfied, but wishing for more. If there was a sequel to this novel I would have picked it right away, despite the perfectly rounded-up ending, even.

Not an expert on anything ancient Egypt related, I found it a delight to learn all about Akhenaten and the possible motives to his actions, to his puzzling attempt
Peggysue
Nov 02, 2014 Peggysue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book a 4.5 of 5 due to editing error. This is a combination of actual facts and fiction. The story is told from the point of view of king tut's great wife, the only pharoah that only had one wife and never had a herem. king tut was the half brother of his great wife. throughout egyptian history pharoahs took their sisters, daughters, granddaughters and such as their wives to preserve the royal bloodlines which produced many deformities and deaths of the babies from the incestous ...more
Toni Poll-sorensen
Beautiful prose! I am not a fan of ancient historical fiction but this novel is mesmerizing ! I learned so much about the beauty and horror of the time! Careful research and documentation is masterful !
Beth
Nov 01, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten is a wonderfully written novel. After a while you forget you reading a book and are transported back to ancient Egypt. The characters are very real and the plot is very fast paced. I look forward to reading more works by this wonderful author!
Kourtni Roucoulet
This review was originally posted on my blog.

First of all, I want to give a big thank you to J. Lynn Else for being kind enough to send me a copy to review.

To quickly give an overview of the book: the story follows Ankhesenamun, or An, who was King Tut’s wife and sister. She was also the daughter of the previous Pharoah. We get to see her grow up and become the Queen alongside King Tut. We see her go through a lot.

For some reason, this book took me forever to get through. I spent between 2-3 wee
TheFountainPenDiva
Rating: 2.5

The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen wasn't bad. It just tried to do too much. I made it to the half-way point and just could not finish.

There's not a lot known or written about King Tutankhamen's wife Ankhesenamun save for a letter she may have written to the Hittite king asking for a prince to marry after the death of her husband (under then what were believed to be mysterious circumstances). J. Lynn Else does her/his best to not only fill in the blanks, which was a notable endeavor. He
Jj
Sep 24, 2013 Jj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten: Aten's last Queen by J. Lynn Else
I loved this book! It's set back in ancient Egypt, but the author has a great way of making the characters come to life! J. Lynn Else is beautifully descriptive in her writing, so you feel like you are there, can see the things they see, and can almost reach out and touch the scenery. She effortlessly weaves the historical information in with the fiction, creating a rich story full of love, loss, betrayal, faith, and family. There are twists and tu
Alice R. Jones
Aug 03, 2015 Alice R. Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesmerizing

I felt like I was taken back in time and I did not want the story to end. My emotions were taken on a rollercoaster ride.
Kait
Nov 25, 2013 Kait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have ever read!
J. Else
Apr 28, 2016 J. Else rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
She was more than just an image in stone. She was more than just a pharaoh’s wife. At an early age, Ankhesenamun had to navigate her people through religious upheaval and political dissent. Her life was threatened, but she did not back down. When paths were barred, she carved out a new way. And when sacrifices had to be made, she gave with everything she had.

Ankhesenamun was a girl who had to grow up too fast. She loved and lost, but she never gave up. In this story, a strong woman is brought to

J. Else
Apr 28, 2016 J. Else rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

Emily
Aug 11, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story about one of the less written about Egyptian Queens - Ankhesenamun. Unfortunately, this book suffers from a lack of historical evidence, which leads to the author's need to fill in the blanks. J. Lynn Else has done her best, I'm sure, but the "Moses" / Jewish subplot feels quite forced. The parallels drawn between the worship of "Adonai" and Aten are somewhat overwrought.

Two other personal issues: Firstly, I didn't particularly like the narrative device of chapters alternating betwe
Amanda Schnall
The book suffers from historical inaccuracies and is overly-ambitious in trying to weave together the story of Ankhesenamun and Moses.

The Amarna period and the religious revolution is an era ripe for gripping fiction; however, it takes a ton of research and the ability to make sense of what is essentially a collection of theories and unknown identities to do so, and I don't think this author has done that.

It's not terrible by any means, but I do think it suffers from the issues described above.
Glenn
Feb 13, 2016 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl Wiegert
Creative way to fill in historical blanks

I'm fascinated by Egyptian history: Tut and his family in particular. This book answers some of the questions in unexpected ways. It's not a page turner but worthwhile read for history buffs who're OK with a little creative license.
Camille Thomas
Camille Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Janis
Janis rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Paulette E. Gosden
Paulette E. Gosden rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Stephen Smallman
Stephen Smallman rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Gay King
Gay King rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Erin Hicks
Erin Hicks rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Kim Musumeci
Kim Musumeci rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Salma Alladin
Salma Alladin rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Carol Lerch
Carol Lerch rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Alana
Alana rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Last Heiress: A Novel of Tutankhamun's Queen
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • The War at Troy
  • The City of Refuge (Memphis Cycle, #1)
  • The Siege (Agent of Rome #1)
  • The Dagger of Isis
  • The Golden Dice (Tales of Ancient Rome, #2)
  • Daughter of the Gods: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • The Year-God's Daughter (The Child of the Erinyes, #1)
  • Ancient Greece: Everyday Life in the Birthplace of Western Civilization
  • Hetaera: Daughter of the Gods
  • Girl Mary
  • Selene of Alexandria
  • KIYA: Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)
  • The King's Man (The King's Man, #3)
  • Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt: From Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra
  • The Other Alexander (The Bow of Heaven, #1)
  • The Purple Shroud: A Novel of Empress Theodora
Around 4th grade, I began writing stories as well as developed an interest in history when I was gifted the book “The Discovery of the Titanic: Exploring the Greatest of All Lost Ships” (which I still own). My creative writing also developed in part through having multiple pen pals in her school days (in the “time before email” times!).

Outside of reading voraciously and driving kids to multiple a
More about J. Lynn Else...

“Living in beauty can dull your appreciation for such things.” 1 likes