Start by marking “In the Dead of Winter” as Want to Read:
In the Dead of Winter

In the Dead of Winter

1918, Northampton, Massachusetts.

Faye Tullis and her friend, Rachel White, two students at Smith University, are arrested after attending a lively suffragette rally.

Things start to get out of hand, and the police arrive. The two girls are arrested, and spend the night in jail, where they meet a tall and imposing woman, who imperiously demands to be released.

When her fre
Published October 26th 2015 by Endeavour Press (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dead of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dead of Winter

Kurt Springs
Mar 28, 2016 Kurt Springs rated it liked it
This review was originally published on Kurt's Frontier.

Synopsis:

Faye Tullis is a young suffragette in 1918 and a student at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts. Arrested at a suffragette rally, she meets a tall imposing woman. This is her first meeting with Dr. Myrl Adler Norton, professor of logic at Smith College. Myrl has a keen eye and the ability to deduce personal information from the smallest details. When Faye’s friend’s flat is broken into, Faye and Myrl find that her landlady,
Nicole
In this foray into the world of Sherlock Holmes, the detective is Myrl Adler Norton, illegitimate daughter of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler. (This Holmes does not know of his daughter's existence.) The narrator is Faye Tullis, a student at Smith College and Norton's undergraduate teaching assistant. The action in this murder mystery takes place at Smith and in Brattleboro, Vermont.

I believe another volume is in the works, and I would be willing to read it. I'm very much on the fence about the
Bookkitten
I am sorry, but I leave this book unfinished.
I liked the idea of Sherlock Holmes having an intelligent daughter from Irene Adler and doesnt know about it, but I really do not like Myrl Adler Norton.
Unlike Holmes, this woman over runs people with her doings like a hurricane and (let me know if you didnt feel the same way) she takes away their air to breathe. Its like, she takes the personalities of other while being with them & leaves nothing like greyness or emptiness (I think shes even tak
Kathleen
Knotty small-town New England murder mystery featuring Holmes' quite arresting daughter. Myrl Adler Norton, a professor of logic at the women's college, and her TA and growing confidante, Faye Tullis find themselves ensnared in a thorny investigation, much to Mryl's satisfaction and Faye's disquiet. Featured the correct whirling blend of historical dress, required sharpshooting, overwrought characters, death threats, budding feminism, and murky unknowns, this novel proved a diverting read.
Michele bookloverforever
interesting premise. the highly intelligent, observant and socially awkward daughter of Irene Adler and Geoffrey Norton solves a crime in Northampton, MA while lecturing at Smith college. there is the murder, the search for a killer. jewels are missing and smuggled...one jewel brings a detective from England, a Mr Sherlock Holmes who bears a striking resemblance to Irene Adler' s remarkable daughter.
Kellyann
Jan 11, 2012 Kellyann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The daughter of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler is a logic professor at Smith and unofficial detective. I love the relationship between Myrl and her companion, Faye, and Myrl's characterization as Holmes's daughter is spot-on. But the profusion of characters, introduced without much to help readers keep the names straight, and the often clunky writing, diminished the pleasure for me. Still, if "Abbey Pen Baker" writes any more books about Myrl and Faye, I'm certain I'd give them a shot.
Laurie
Feb 10, 2010 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Great Detective as a woman? Yes, with all the quirks, foibles, and misanthropy, all the genius, and all the darkness that runs through that remarkable mind--and for a reason: Myrl Adler is the daughter of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler, with Faye Tullis as her faithful Watson.
C
May 28, 2016 C rated it liked it
Slow

I thought this was a good premise for the book, but I found it moved very slowly. The main character of Myrl Adler Norton was too stiff and strained. Other characters were a mixed bag.
ABCme
May 24, 2016 ABCme rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Having crawled my way through, I gave up halfway into this book. The story is interesting, the pace just too slow for me.
Deborah Rocheleau
Deborah Rocheleau rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
Amy Millhouse becker
Amy Millhouse becker rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Joann
Joann rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2016
Laura Graham
Laura Graham rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Rachel Granoff
Rachel Granoff rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Yuliya
Yuliya rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Jessie Carol Dull
Jessie Carol Dull rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Diane Hill
Diane Hill rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
R. Morean
R. Morean rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
marlene ludick
marlene ludick rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Debbie Coleman
Debbie Coleman rated it did not like it
May 15, 2016
Karo
Karo rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Ken Hines
Ken Hines rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Janice Schmidt
Janice Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2013
Cathy Tickle
Cathy Tickle rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Deborrah Brown
Deborrah Brown rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Irene
Irene rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Shadow of the Rat
  • Let There Be Blood (A Lord Ambrose Historical Mystery)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Circus of Fear
  • Checkmate
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës
  • The Smoke
  • Claudine's Daughter
  • Season of the Assassin (Detective Jimmy Parisi Thriller series)
  • The Rider of the White Horse
  • Debut for a Spy
  • The Eye Of Ra
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Boulevard Assassin
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Chilford Ripper
  • Legitimate Business
  • To Sleep No More
  • The Courts Of The Morning
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)