Start by marking “Collected Novellas” as Want to Read:
Collected Novellas

Collected Novellas

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Three of Garcia Marquez's classic short novels-- "Leaf Storm, No One Writes to the Colonel, " "and Chronicle of a Death Foretold" --available in one volume."He has extraordinary strength and firmness of imagiation and writes with the calmness of a man who knows exactly what wonders he can perform."--Alfred Kazin, "New York Times Book Review"
Published October 11th 1991 by Harpperen

To ask other readers questions about Collected Novellas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Novellas

Rose
Sep 19, 2007 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
only garcia marquez can make loneliness, longing, poverty and sorrow this romantic.
Martin
I am reviewing the Collected Novellas, not the Collected Stories. Goodreads appears to have combined them into one thread, not knowing there's a difference.
I give "Leaf Storm" only four stars because the shifting narrators and their mild stream of consciousness makes the story a bit more difficult than it's worth. I've read reviews that are quite negative toward "Leaf Storm", but I found the prose excellent and the story quite interesting as we gradually learned the truth of what happened betwee
Julia
When I read a genius piece of work like One Hundred Years of Solitude, I always imagine that the ideas floated up to the author while he was in a sort of opium haze and he gathered them up with a jar and dipped a quill in the jar and wrote the story that way. That's why when I read this collection of shorts, I was kind of sad to see all of the inspiration that went into One Hundred Years of Solitude... the small town, the family dramas, society vs. the outsider, the pain that comes from followin ...more
Matt
I haven't been blown away by pure literature like this in a while. And when I sat down to parse through Leaf Storm, No One Writes to the Colonel and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, I couldn't help but think it was three stories, three writing styles, but in the same location. Write about what you know, I suppose, but this isn't a bad thing—you try writing three completely different novels about the same place in the same time period but with wildly different styles, and make it as good as these.

A
Ambar Yadav
Marquez was (and it is heartbreaking to use the past tense here) a terribly talented man.

1) Leaf Storm: "Ordinary grass ma'am. The kind that donkeys eat"
The first appearance of Macondo (Those that haven't read One Hundred Years, really need to do so). Marquez hasn't yet developed his trademark magical realism, but the process, so to speak, has begun. Leaf Storm is a tale of duty, bitterness, and nihilism in a characteristically Marquez-like bleak setting. The descriptions and analogies are nigh
Kristen Pollard
This is the first collection of stories that I've read my Márquez. My first introduction to him was through a magic realism course in college in which I read One Hundred Years of Solitude. That work is still my favorite, but I liked how Márquez began populating his fictional town with characters in "Leaf Storm", which was my favorite of the three stories. I just love the way Márquez brings his characters to life with all their imperfections and oddities, and I often wonder how he chose a specifi ...more
Rhonda
Aug 11, 2008 Rhonda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Garcia-Marquez
Shelves: read-2008
I like the style of this author. He puts you in the middle of a story and then slowly fleshes out the details. However, I often want more when he has ended the story!
The first story "The Leaf Storm" involves a family (mother, son and her father) at the death of a neighbor. The town would like to let the dead man rot in his home; the family wants a proper burial. As another reviewer says, the point of view does change and muddle the story.
"Nobody Writes to the Colonel," tells the story of a very
Erin W
In this collection of three short novels, “Leaf Storm” appeared first, but I read it last because it took me a few tries to get into. It was somewhat difficult to read, not in the least because there were three different first-person narrators who would take over for each other at every section break, and I often didn’t realize the narrator had changed until the little boy suddenly started referring to his late wife and it occurred to me that the little boy was no longer speaking, his grandfathe ...more
Larissa
Despite the admirable craftsmanship of "Leaf Storm" and "No One Writes to the Colonel," I found those stories chilly and unengaging. The motivations of the characters are opaque (often even to themselves) and the reader is given few reasons to want to spend time in their world. In some ways, the first two novellas are more effective in conceptual than in literary terms - while the underlying ideas possess considerable symbolic resonance, the actual reading experience can verge on the tedious. Ho ...more
Despina
Nov 11, 2007 Despina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who love great detail
The first story, "Leaf Storm," did nothing for me. It jumps from one POV to another in a messy way and the story itself is not too intersting. I'd skip it. The second novella, "Nobody Writes to the Colonel," is more touching and human, as well as a lot funnier. Marquez has a great sense of humor, and knows how to find it amongst great tragedy. That being said, the ending left me wanting more and felt unfinished. The most robust story of the three, "Chronicles of a Death Foretold," can be confusi ...more
Jake Cooper
GGM is famous for "magical realism," but this is very little magic, even by the broadest literary definition.

Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I dig the allegory of death as a savage necessity to which society seems shamefully resigned, but I found the actual story boring.

No One Writes to the Colonel. I got tired of funerals and roosters, and stopped reading.

Leaf Storm. Never even started.
M4rk
Dec 04, 2007 M4rk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like 'el dia de muerto'
thx Rose. Old men dying in a dead town are cool. Leaf Storm: i wish i knew Spanish better cuz there's a few slang words in the translation. Plus the POV shifts were over used and not really needed/effective. No One Writes to the Colonel: excellent read with a realistic story line and characters, beautifully morose. Chronicle of a Death Foretold: I couldn't believe the whole town including the killers felt murder was an acceptable form of justice for a young boy AND girl doin' it when they were e ...more
Peter
Know first of all that Marquez is a Nobel Laureate in literature. If that means nothing to you than don't bother, you will not appreciate these little masterpieces. These works were infuriating, frustrating, disturbing, and most of all enlightening, regarding re-creating the gritty life-on-the-ground for certain small-town latin-American peoples of the early 20th century living under tin-pot dictators. Of course, the stories and flawed characters are much deeper than that superficial description ...more
Katie
I liked the 3rd story- Chronicle of a Death Foretold- best. It's not a book I would have previously picked up, but I used to find one author, read everything they wrote and then flounder until I found a new one to read. So even though it's ridiculous? pretentious? that when I see lists of books I immediately have to see how many I've read, at least it is expanding the books I'm reading.
Clark
I really need to stop reading any of Marquez's early works. It was staggering how boring and uneventful Leaf Storm and No One Writes To The Colonel were, ESPECIALLY when you read them back-to-back with Chronicle of a Death Foretold. The latter is absolute genius; the former ones...well, Shit Storm and No One Writes Anything Interesting About the Colonel would have been better titles.
Three stories of death and dead men. Yet all three novellas passionately celebrate life in all its complexity. These novellas hit the ground running. Before the story has even truly begun, the reader is struggling to catch up as Marquez catapults forward with one bizarre and exceptional detail after another.
Don
Skip over Leaf Storm (the first novella in the collection), and go directly to “The Colonel...” where you will find the most sympathetic characters Garcia Marquez’s has created. Although the third novella, “Chronicle...” has its inconsistencies, it is like a little generator that keeps pumping out suspense.

Stephen
While at times it was a bit challenging for me to keep track of who's who, there are so many Marquez gems in these stories. "We are the orphans of our son", a woman says to her husband, mourning the death of their son who was killed as a political revolutionary.
Pa
Wonderful! Chronicle of the Death Foretold is probably the best of the three novellas in this collection but the other two are very, very good too. The stories are gripping and taunting and the writing is so BEAUTIFUL.
Tony
May 29, 2008 Tony marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, collections
I just started The Leaf Storm. Even though I'm still never totally comfortable reading things written primarily in the present tense, there's something infectious about Marquez's prose...
Pamela J
"Leaf Storm": this story strikes me as quite Faulknerian in style and descriptively rooted in a setting defined by its townsfolk, but less developed in characterization.
Marcos
I loved "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" so far. It's such a precise and bittersweet story of a poor guy who knows he's about to die....and of life's absurdities.
Scott Dailey
The third novella "Chronical of a Death Foretold" is excellent.
"No One Writes to the Colonel" is good.
"Leaf Storm" is OK
Tami
Beautiful writing. I loved his style even though this collection of short stories is about some depressing times and death.
Andie
4.5 stars overall
Chronicle of a Death Foretold (5 stars!)
Leaf Storm (4 stars)
No One Writes to the Colonel (4.5 stars)
G
It's Gabo. Of course it's great. I think Chronicle of a Death Foretold is the best though, but it all has his fabulous style.
Sofi
All three novellas were wonderfully structured. It showed a deeper, truthful side of humanity. It was overall great.
Jesse
Leaf Storm - Three Stars
Nobody Writes to the Colonel - Five Stars
The Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Fives Stars
Annisa Nuraida
I've finished reading the Chronicles of a Death Foretold, and will be in a daze for the next few hours
Geoffrey
Leaf Storm: meh; No One Writes to the Colonel: yeah!; Chronicle of a Death Foretold: yeah.
  • The Courts of Love: Stories
  • Short Stories in Spanish: New Penguin Parallel Text
  • Collected Prose: Autobiographical Writings, True Stories, Critical Essays, Prefaces, and Collaborations with Artists
  • Peanuts: A Golden Celebration: The Art and Story of The World's Best-Loved Comic Strip
  • The Beat Book
  • Christopher Unborn (Picador Books)
  • Him With His Foot in His Mouth and Other Stories
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth And Other Stories Of Horror
  • The Correspondence of Shelby Foote & Walker Percy
  • The Red Convertible
  • The Curious Casebook of Inspector Hanshichi: Detective Stories of Old Edo
(Arabic: جابرييل جارسيا ماركيز)

Gabriel José de la Concordia Garcí­a Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. Garcí­a Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and late worked a
More about Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez...
One Hundred Years of Solitude Love in the Time of Cholera Chronicle of a Death Foretold Memories of My Melancholy Whores Of Love and Other Demons