Start by marking “Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America” as Want to Read:

All Americans must read this book in order to truly understand the reasons why radical Muslims like Osama bin Laden and his followers have declared war on America and the West. Furthermore, only this book accurately describes the severity of the threat they will continue to pose, with or without bin Laden’s leadership, to our national security.

To win the war against terror
Published February 1st 2003 by Potomac Books (first published June 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Through Our Enemies' Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through Our Enemies' Eyes

Nate
Feb 24, 2010 Nate rated it liked it
Shelves: military, terrorism
Scheuer addresses the difficult questions regarding bin Laden and why he is actually focused on attacking America. He addresses the issues of America's foreign policy being the primary reason behind Al-Qaeda's attacks and provides a context for understanding why bin Laden does what he does in a way that is clear and unmistakable. This is a necessary reading for anybody attempting to understand extremism, Al-Qaeda, militant Islam, and terrorism. It provides an insight into bin Laden and his histo ...more
James
An informative and well-organized history of Bin Laden and the development of the war he is fighting against the West. Marred a bit by rough editing and the author's at times angry and somewhat bitter tone, but as a historian who has watched America's government and media consistently blow it, through an apparent preference for wishful thinking, cultural narcissism, and at times simple analytical laziness.

Anyone who wants to understand Al Qaeda and the roots of its implacable enmity toward Ameri
Arild
Sep 06, 2009 Arild rated it liked it
This book begins very clever by comparing Osama bin Laden with some quite interesting people which we now call freedomfighters and not just terrorists. It is also a book that sums up every little an big terrorist act which in some way or another is linked too Osama bin Laden.

How much he really is involved in is though difficult to know but it was an interesting book that i am glad that i have read.
Kevin
Jun 29, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone running forpublic office and screaming about how they are "strong on terrorism". The book puts the angers of our enemy into a nice concise book and then leads us through history to show us how they got there. A great book for understanding, a bad book if you want to think our leaders understand who we are facing.

Scheuer tells who we are facing and why they are mad. Our government is not doing either.
Nate Cooley
I read abouot half this book and had a hard time finishing it. I did read "Imperial Hubris" though which is written by the same author.

When "Imperial Hubris" was published it was greatly criticized because of its tone regarding the War on Terror. It was viewed as somewhat unpatriotic by the Right. Being a Conservative myself, the book contained some hard truths that those in the current administration ought to adopt (i.e., energy independence).
Jen
Sep 03, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. I read this when he first published as "Anonymous".
If you've ever wondered why al-Qaeda declared war on America, or how the whole mess seemed to start, this is a great book to read. I've reccomended it dozens of times. It's not scholarly or stuffy, it's intelligent, engaging and extremely well done.
Sadly, it's the only good book he's written. The rest get pretty heavy on the 'bitter bureaucrat with an axe to grind against those nancy-boy politicans'.
Glenkes
Aug 10, 2012 Glenkes rated it really liked it
As a former intelligence officer on Middle Eastern affairs during the period covered, I am amazed both at how much detailed truth Scheurer was able to put into this book and by how easily it was ignored by public and government officials alike. Perhaps if it was written in better story-telling form, it would have had a greater impact. But everything is there that should have saved the United States a whole hell of a lot of grief.
Dave
Dec 03, 2008 Dave rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
A must read for every american. The books answers alot of "why" questions and explains the motive behind Osama-Bin-Laden and gives alot of insight about his organization. Very well written but the author seems to be a little bitter as if almost supporting the reasons behind Osama's intentions. I dont think that is the intention of the author but too much credit is given to him.
Tom Rodriguez
Apr 15, 2007 Tom Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: already-read
A through history of the current war on terror, back through its roots with American support to Afghan mujahaddin during the Soviet-Afghan war of the 1970's. Enlightening, especially when read in concert with some of bin Laden's statements, including his 1998 fatwah. Highly recommended.
Lucas Johnson
Jan 22, 2016 Lucas Johnson rated it really liked it
Argued in a strangely sympathetic way, Scheuer delivers the best summary of al Qa'ida's program in the English language. Supposedly, this book is actually used as a ideological manual by non-Arabic speaking Islamists.
John Rivera
Jul 07, 2008 John Rivera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A "must read" for those interested in understanding terrorism. Most importantly, concerning this work, is the academic manner in which it was written. One could spend years simply reading the works which with this book brings to bear for references and citations.
Aleksandra
Sep 16, 2007 Aleksandra is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans trying to understand the Middle East perception towards the West.
Understanding Islam and the Middle East's perception of America, even Bin Laden was quoted as respecting Scheuer's writings. (Along with those of Noam Chomsky)
Greg
Aug 16, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Breakthrough work on the nature of radical Islam and the US view of it, from the former head of the CIA's Bin Laden unit.
Kessa
Mar 07, 2009 Kessa rated it liked it
Shelves: smart-reading
Says what many need to hear - even years after it was written. That people still don't know or understand this is a shame.
Lance
Oct 02, 2007 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 9/11, so many Americans were asking "How?" when they should have been asking "Why?". This book helps explain why.
Paul Shin
Paul Shin rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Leland LeCuyer
Leland LeCuyer rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Mike Slawdog
Mike Slawdog rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2008
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Earl
Earl rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
James Sass
James Sass rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Matthew Tanous
Matthew Tanous rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Daryl Muranaka
Daryl Muranaka rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Alex Lennon
Alex Lennon rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Boozy
Boozy rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Leaderless Jihad: Terror Networks in the Twenty-First Century
  • Holy War, Inc.: Inside the Secret World of Osama bin Laden
  • Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws
  • Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia
  • Endless Enemies
  • Al Qaeda:  The True Story Of Radical Islam
  • Overblown: How Politicians and the Terrorism Industry Inflate National Security Threats, and Why We Believe Them
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
  • Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
  • The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death
  • A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the  Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
  • The Other Side of Deception: A Rogue Agent Exposes the Mossad's Secret Agenda
  • American Empire: The Realities and Consequences of U.S. Diplomacy
  • Jawbreaker: The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda: A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
Michael F. Scheuer is a former CIA employee. In his 22-year career, he served as the Chief of the Bin Laden Issue Station (aka "Alec Station"), from 1996 to 1999, the Osama bin Laden tracking unit at the Counterterrorist Center. He then worked again as Special Advisor to the Chief of the bin Laden unit from September 2001 to November 2004.

Scheuer resigned in 2004. He is currently a news analyst fo
More about Michael Scheuer...