Start by marking “True Norwegian Black Metal” as Want to Read:
True Norwegian Black Metal

True Norwegian Black Metal

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the last two decades, a bizarre and violent musical subculture called "Black Metal" has emerged in Norway. Its roots stem from a heady blend of horror movies, heavy metal music, Satanism, Paganism, and adolescent angst. In the early-mid 1990s, members of this extremist underground committed murder, burned down medieval wooden churches, and desecrated graveyards. What st ...more
Published May 20th 2008 by VICE Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about True Norwegian Black Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Norwegian Black Metal

Owen
Jul 04, 2008 Owen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Metal enthusiasts, photographers, artists
This has a lot of great photos documenting the Norwegian black metal scene from a variety of view points beginning around 2000. Peter Beste also made the documentary by the same name (True Norwegian Black Metal) which focused primarily on Gaahl and Gorgoroth, so there are plenty of images from that as well. There's also some history of the early black metal scene concerning Euronymous and Varg Vikernes, but that's really better covered in Lords of Chaos. The book also includes a pretty well deta ...more
Gary Lee
No matter your feelings about Black Metal (the music, the movement, the make-up, etc.), this collection has some photos that will leave you impressed, inspired, enraged, awe-struck, and perhaps breathless.

It gets a bit spotty once the color photos come into play, but all in all this is a brilliant book.

I'd gladly place this one on my coffeetable if I could afford it.

"Black is the night, metal we fight
Power amps set to explode
Energy screams, magic and dreams
Satan records the first note.
We chime t
Javier
Contar todo lo fastuoso, grandioso, satánico, maravilloso, caótico, ridículo, exagerado, oscuro
y brutal que es el black metal noruego, se necesitan más imágenes que palabras.

Nadie captó esto de mejor manera, que el estadounidense Peter Beste.

Un must-have para todo fan del género. El formato es una maravilla.
Hester
If it weren't for the intriguing and sometimes confusing documentary "Before the Light Takes Us" I'd never have an interest in Norwegian Black Metal.

This collection of photos showcases some beautiful scenery only to be marred by a bunch of middle aged idiots wearing ridiculous "corpse paint" makeup lots of leather and spikes. They look like a bunch of gay leather daddies gone hardcore goth. I just want to shout at them to cut their hair, long greasy and stringy is not the look for older men. Bu
Brandon Torres
This book was an overall spectacular collection of photography that captures every aspect of Black Metal, starting from the very start of the dark Inner Circle. Hand written controversial letters from members of Mayhem discussing Dead's suicide to profile shots of the members of Gorgoroth and everything in between, this book gives the reader a well rounded history lesson for the most uneducated person on this topic to understand. Making this book even better, it has no photos or information rega ...more
Brett
I've been kind of into black metal for a little while, but lately I've gone whole hog into loving it. This book is really well done - featuring some excellent quotes (H.P. Lovecraft, Albert Camus), and features not just the elaborate misanthropy of the black metal look but plenty of evocative photos of Norwegian wilderness that is so integral to the music. Pretty much an essential coffee table book if you're into this sort of thing.
Maggie
The pictures are nuts. Crazy! I think the book does a really good job of showing the reader an unfortunate universal phenomenon: it's mainly just a bunch of confused teenagers getting sucked into a subculture that is not very life-affirming. And oh man --maybe it's because English is not their first language or maybe it's because the essays are poorly translated -- but geez, the writing is just ghastly.
Gabriel
I served as production assistant on this book-- mainly scanning the archival materials at the back-- and also designed the poster of band logos included with the deluxe edition. So I'm biased when I say it's great. But it is.
Jason
Great picture book with a cool time line of twisted events and original articles and drawings in the back that document the black metal movement in Norway. Great deal on Amazon, also!
Neil
A good photographic collection, although I disagree a little regarding the 'true norwegian' tag, some of this is run of the mill radio friendly black metal. Otherwise good.
Dave
Badass photo book I picked up used at work.

I'm not the biggest black metal fan, but the imagery sure is pretty/unique/brutal/evil.
Rain
i'm not american so dont know if american apparel sell this as a part of coffetable piece? its huge and heavy, can hold shitload of beers and plates on it if needed for a smaller crowd meeting.

on serious note, my version was 5th press, 3500 printed that time, if Dead were alive he would of killed himself 6 times now probably. yeah its a nice book with pretty pictures with grown up men wearing war paint, ready to battle against christianity in world 4th richest country, but its scene explotation
Steef
I wanted to own this book for years. I finally treated myself to this book, and it's very much worth it. Being interested in both photography and (black) metal (and Norway), this certainly feels like the best of both worlds. Lovely large book with huge pictures, some text with surprisingly new content and a really good look into this niche world.
Jack Thornsberry
For whatever reason, I was drawn to the Norwegian black metal scene in the late 1980's and early to mid 90's. It's not that it is particularly "good" musicianship but you have to look at the whole package. Church burnings, nihilism, chaos, screaming, double bass drums, desolate forests, cold weather, etc all are components of this weird movement. A very nice coffee table book, but I would remove it whenever your in-laws come over.
Kristin
Although this book is not for everyone, you don't have to be into Black Metal to enjoy these photos. My favorite part is the juxtaposition in many photos of day to day images next to scary looking guys in full makeup. But I do like strange things....
Aaron Hall
This book was awesome. The pictures were some familiar ones being album covers or tshirt designs and there were a few I had never seen before. The inclusion of the Kerrang! And Slayer articles at the end was a nice touch.
Amy
Jun 17, 2014 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Black Metal music
Recommended to Amy by: Clifton Reintzel
Hands down, the BEST photography I ever seen! Loved the look back on the beginnings of Norwegian Black Metal and the fanzine & magazine article reprints. This book should be in every black metal fan's library.
Jamil
Dec 09, 2008 Jamil rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: photo
i'm totally not metal enough for this book.

"There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night." - Camus
Ben Valentine
First edition, first printing, signed by the photographer. spectacular photography.
Daniel
Jul 30, 2008 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: many, many people
Recommended to Daniel by: many, many people
what the flying fuck? that's all i have to say. this book turns my semen black...
Augie
I mean really. Church burning, murder and make up. What is there not to love?
Brandi
I WANT THIS FUCKING BOOK.
Charlie
Intense. Will one day own.
Craig
Eye candy...
Brady
Stunning.
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Zahraa Maytham
Zahraa Maytham marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Sondre Stensbøl
Sondre Stensbøl marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Swedish Death Metal
  • Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries
  • Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
  • Fuck You Heroes : Glen E. Friedman Photographs, 1976-1991
  • Matthew Barney: The Cremaster Cycle
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Lucifer Rising: Sin, Devil Worship, and Rock'n'Roll
  • Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1
  • England's Hidden Reverse:  A Secret History of the Esoteric Underground
  • Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • Running with the Devil: Power, Gender and Madness in Heavy Metal Music (Music/Culture)
  • No Wave: Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980.
  • Incredibly Strange Music, Vol. One