Start by marking “Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)

Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge #4)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  522 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Henry and his dog Mudge have some Halloween fun in this fourth Ready-to-Read book of their adventures.

Henry and his 180-pound dog Mudge are best friends forever. And when Halloween rolls around, they share jack-o'-lanterns and ghost stories with Aunt Sally.
Published September 1st 1997 by Simon Spotlight (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon

Kathryn
A wonderful collection for autumn as it contains three stories

One on the arrival of fall and the ways that Henry and Mudge enjoy it in their different ways (of course, one being a boy and the other being a dog!) Such as, Henry picks apples and Mudge licks them; Henry puts on a coat and Mudge grows his! ;-p But, always, the uniting factor is their friendship.

One on Halloween, when Henry's mom tells scary stories but Henry feels more brave with Mudge in the house

One on Thanksgiving with the arriva
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Donna
Mar 23, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Fun, short stories about a boy and his dog that are nice early readers. These are harder than Elephant and Piggie but easier than a true chapter book. The three stories are not sequential, so each one can stand alone. I personally felt the Halloween story in here was a bit scary for the Kindergarten reader but every child is different. I also did not like the complaining tone of the Thanksgiving story in here, but Henry does find something to be thankful for in the end.
Rosa Cline
Nov 18, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
This was an easier to read book than the other Henry and Mudge books. So an advanced beginning reader could possibly read it on their own. It's a very nice book, covering Henry and his dog Mudge's first Fall, First Halloween and First Thanksgiving. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter enjoyed looking at the illustrations as I read it to her.
Mimi
Oct 07, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
This was another excellent book, but I did have to skip parts in it. This one takes place during Halloween time, and Henry's mother likes to tell ghost stories. I thought they might be too scary for Jill, because she calls this book the "scary one." So now I summarize the ghost stories. It can foster conversation though, because the author said that Henry never told his mother he thought they were too scary, leading her to think that Henry liked the stories. So the child and adult reading this b ...more
April Smith
This is a great story of a dog and his owner and the bond that they have. This book is separated into chapter (sections). This is a good book for children in transition.
Angela Bruck
Oct 08, 2015 Angela Bruck rated it did not like it
Shelves:
It it was kind of boring. it was really hard to read to. I am even 7 years old and my 10 year old sister is tybeung
megan donaldson
Oct 12, 2015 megan donaldson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was growing up now I read it to my son. He likes the simple stories and the awesome dog.
Bree
Apr 08, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
three separate autumn stories
the second one is about Halloween and is a ghost story
Nichole
Mar 31, 2016 Nichole rated it really liked it
Jude read
Dolly
Nov 24, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale from the "Henry and Mudge" series, a few short stories that celebrates the Fall season and a few of the holidays during that time. It's a nice book that features Halloween, Thanksgiving and the fun of Autumn. Our girls enjoyed this story and we really love reading books by Cynthia Rylant. We've read this one a couple of times.
Madison Jones
Apr 14, 2013 Madison Jones rated it really liked it
Great book for children who are just starting to read chapter books. This series is a good one to get into! This book would be a good choice for children who like ghost stories and things like that. I would reccomend this book for children in first to third grade.
Ratforcekids
Nov 13, 2013 Ratforcekids added it
Shelves: science
Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon is an easy to read story about Henry and his big dog, Mudge, explore nature and Thanksgiving. It is three stories about the friendship between the boy and his dog.
Madison
Read on 042815 and 060215.
Jill
Feb 16, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
This book is set in the season of Fall. Could be read around halloween time to tie into the holidays. The love between Henry and Mudge is so sweet and kids will love it!
Jaime
Jul 26, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: trumans-shelf
We got this as a read-along book and CD. TRuman enjoys being able to follow along, and also being able to read on his own. He's loving this series, and I must admit, I am too.
Christy
Nov 30, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
In the autumn Henry and his big dog Mudge watch the leaves turn, meet with some Halloween spooks, and share Thanksgiving dinner.
Grace
May 19, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, library
I wish the leave would turn colors here, I think my son would love it. Two thumbs up.
Sheila
Sep 21, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
An enjoyable Henry and Mudge series book, perfect to read during the fall holidays.
Tobinsfavorite
May 25, 2010 Tobinsfavorite rated it liked it
Same review again. Three cute stories. I liked the Thanksgiving one best.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I want t o read them all. J.C.
Jessie
Jun 30, 2015 Jessie rated it it was amazing
I loved Henry and Mudge.
Cws
May 18, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Ryl
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Doctor Sax
Doctor Sax rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Hallie
Hallie added it
Jul 19, 2016
Atlas
Atlas marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Pinky and Rex (Pinky and Rex, #1)
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • Tooth Trouble
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • Going to the Firehouse
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
  • And I Mean It, Stanley
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Long Weekend (Henry and Mudge, #11)