Start by marking “Yellow Umbrella” as Want to Read:
Yellow Umbrella

Yellow Umbrella

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The perfect book for a rainy day, but also for an art lesson, a lazy afternoon, or a quiet classroom. Accompanied by a CD of original and evocative piano music, this is a book meant to be enjoyed by all people, connecting us through music and art and transcending language and cultural barriers. Readers, "lookers", and listeners of all ages will love this slice of a rainy d ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Kane/Miller Book Pub

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Umbrella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Umbrella

The Arrival by Shaun TanTuesday by David WiesnerFlotsam by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
56th out of 181 books — 272 voters
Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong HoGuji Guji by Chih-Yuan ChenOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaWho Likes Rain? by Wong Herbert YeeShades of Black by Sandra L. Pinkney
Chromatic Children's Literature
14th out of 153 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Nov 03, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Summary

This story is told exclusively through pictures and music about the experience of a rainy day. We see rain light and heavy, umbrellas in a big city, and the quiet after the storm.

Identify the characteristics from the text that support the specific genre

This is a wordless picture book because it has pictures and no words! It comes with a CD of music to accompany each page so perhaps we could call it a musical, wordless picture book. It tells a story but not a historical or magical story s
Judy Lindow
Jul 09, 2015 Judy Lindow rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Music is provided for this beautiful book. I used to play it and show the pictures on rainy days to 3-5th graders. It's very moody and dramatic. It's been at least 5 years since I've seen the book. Opening it, I see there's sheet music and words that I don't even remember using.

I loved the illustrations for the bright colors of the umbrellas, how well it conveyed the feeling of rain, and yet how abstract the illustrations are. I like kids to experience the music and visual art together so they
Rebecca
I spotted this on the "Umbrellas" Goodreads list, which is now one of my favorites. Umbrellas really are a cool shape, and this wordless book follows a group of children walking to school in the city, visible only via their colorful umbrellas from above, contrasted with the blue/gray/lavender of the rainy concrete around them. The accompanying CD, with original music by Dong Il Sheen, makes it even more of an experience, beginning with the sound of rain and continuing into a tinkling piano track ...more
babyhippoface
Apr 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Music Teachers!!!
Small children will enjoy following the yellow umbrella through the beautifully-bright pages, but there is so much more to this book. Pop the accompanying CD in and you have an incredible little experience from Jae Soo Liu and composer Dong Il Sheen, for children and adults alike. The music is just beautiful, and is perfectly suited for the rain-soaked illustrations. Really, really cool book/CD combo.
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
the illustration in this wordless book is really good, but the CD that comes with it is fantastic.
Crystal Lough
Oct 26, 2011 Crystal Lough rated it it was amazing
Yellow Umbrella is a picture book. It is meant for pre-primary and primary children. The book has no words. It comes with a CD that essentially tells the story. While flipping through the pages after each page you can see a new umbrella. You cannot see who is carrying the umbrella. You can only see where they are. They go down steps, into a subway, down a narrow street, each time adding an umbrella. By the end of the book you see all of the umbrellas and children's legs and feet walking into a s ...more
Karen
May 29, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this book, I liked it. I thought it was cool how the pictures told the story of this umbrella on it's way to school even though there were no words. I really liked how the bright umbrellas seemingly meeting each other. It was fun and creative. Then, I put in the CD and WOW, I loved it! Suddenly these umbrellas had personality. Suddenly, a story was really created. The music on the CD is not only beautiful, but really helps tell the story. One time I accidentally turned two ...more
Alissa
Jul 25, 2014 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: usborne
This is an amazing book of watercolor pictures that progresses into a counting book as more and more colorful umbrellas are added. The cherry on the top is the accompaning CD that leads you through the book in an auditory way...raindrops (and other accompaning sound effects) and music. This book is wonderful for showing the amazing compatibility and complementary aspects of paintings and music. This is available for sale via http://y3193.myubam.com/p/789/yellow-....
Amy B.
Jul 24, 2008 Amy B. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and early elementary teachers (music teachers too!)
Recommended to Amy by: Cathleen Clara
Liu, J. (2002). Yellow umbrella. LaJolla, California. Kane/ Miller.

This colorful wordless picture book is sure to be a favorite for children age’s two to eight. The author-illustrator tells the story through beautiful water colored images of umbrellas. The images speak to you and clearly depict the beauty of the colors. The CD that accompanies the book is a collection of different interpretations of the book. Track one presents a playful tune that is sure to capture readers and give them a sens
Shelley
Jan 05, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4, wordless
super simple. Just following a birds eye view of umbrellas. But I like that there is a simple piano music cd to go along with the pictures, so it's more than just looking, but also hearing.
Taylor Howard
Sep 17, 2013 Taylor Howard added it
Shelves: wordless
The images in this book seem to be done with acrylic paint where you can see the brush stokes. In the umbrellas, however, you can not see the strokes. This works as an advantage to the book because it makes them stand out from the background. The colors also make them stand out because they are very bright and the background is a dull colors. Throughout the book, it shows different color umbrellas finding their way to one another and making their way throughout a city. This is not a book I would ...more
Ashley Jenkins
The pictures were really pretty and the fact that it had a soundtrack was super cool...but the story itself was a little boring
Siskiyou-Suzy
The art in this is really nice -- there's so much reflection and color despite it being set in a rainy city. The music is nice too. I somehow ended up off though -- I must have missed silences or something because when I got to the end, the music was still playing after another silence. I'm not sure that that matters, because the music seemed to fit the mood just fine. The children enjoyed seeing the new umbrellas enter the scene -- counting them and naming the colors all on their own (and argui ...more
Stephanie
Nov 26, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-slit-40
Actions speak louder than words. This is proved to be true through this wordless picture book, where you see the morning journey, on a rainy day, of a yellow umbrella. If you do not have the music that accompanies the book, then you do not get the full affect. This book would be great for a rainy day or an art lesson not only about different art work and colors in the book, but also about the music. This book, as I said before, is great proof for the statement, "actions speak louder than words," ...more
Jenn
Sep 09, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
The music for this is cute, but I'd hang every page on my wall as art.
Jo-Ann
Fiction:
The Rain Came Down by David Shannon
One Rainy Day by Valeri Gorbachev
This is the Rain by Lola Schaefer

Nonfiction:

Activity/Movement/Song:
See Resource Book "The sound of Storytime" Page 93 - Activity to do while reading the book.
Add repeating line like " And the rain came down all around, all around till the rain made puddles on the ground. Kids can shake their shakers and repeat the chant each time you turn the page.
"The Sound of Storytime" page 95 - It's Raining Opposites Chant &
Carol Scrimgeour
I bought this second-hand so it came without the CD.
Patty
Jul 31, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-record
Illustrator: Jae-Soo Liu
Age: 4-8 (can be used with any age)
Summary: Children are on their way to school in the rain.
Applications/Uses: Could do activity with directionality/movement throughout the book, it is a wordless book so the students could add words to the page, discussion/exploration of using music instead of words in a story/book.
Themes/Connections: Music, wordless book, walking to school in a city, use of different color to identify different people.
Awards: New York Times Best Illustra
Michelle Lacey
Jun 07, 2008 Michelle Lacey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for nice picture book to share with young child
Picked up this picture book after reading that it won the NY Times Award for Illustration a few years ago. The paintings are indeed unique, colorful, and quite cheerful -- even though you never see children's faces. One of the songs on the accompanying CD is sung in Korean, which would be fun to try to teach to a youngster. I thought the paper could have been better -- a nice matte, heavier quality would have shown off the illustrations more. The one I saw had a fairly cheap glossy sheen.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Discovered this book by chance at the library and fell in love with it. No words, only beautiful painting-style illustrations of many colors of umbrellas coming together and making their way through the city. While the images are gorgeous, my favorite part is the CD of piano music composed specifically to accompany the book. My 2-year-old wanted to read this book and listen to the music every day after reading it for the first time, and to this day, still requests "the umbrella song".
Jordan Paxston
Yellow Umbrella by Jae-Soo Liu, Dong Il Sheen
Published September 1st 2002 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers
Picture book with music
-This beautifully illustrated book has no words, but an expressive and thoughtful piano music accompanies it. I love the uniqueness of this picture book; it gives the reader/looker an opportunity to write their own story. Because of the beautiful illustrations and unique format of the book, I included it in my collection.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
My students LOVE this book.
Mollie Smith
Feb 27, 2012 Mollie Smith rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully creative book that tells a story through beautiful pictures and music. This is a great book to use to broaden students' views of literature. It is an untraditional story, but engaging and unique. I feel like you could do a variety of extension activities with this book, including having the kids create their own text for the book. Loved it.
Sally
Dec 05, 2009 Sally rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sally by: artfulparent.wordpress.com
Shelves: picture-book
picture book with no text, but a music soundtrack....

Such a simple idea, yet so rewarding. Withstands multiple "readings" because the perspective and music and journey of the umbrella begs contemplation.

Not only did I enjoy it, but my 3 year old giggled with delight each time the piano chimed in with "rain drops" again.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Mar 30, 2011 Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I first "read" this book while working at the Provo City Library in the Children's Department. I had forgotten how much I loved looking at the pictures while listening to the cd of music. A fun way to look at how music can "say" everything that words can.
Monique
Mar 29, 2010 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Wordless and with a CD track that you turn the pages to, this is such a unique book! Something about the music speaks to me, I absolutely love it. Nora loves to dance to the tracks. Bringing it to school for show and tell on this rainy day.
Rachel
Jan 22, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Imagination is the star of the show. This wordless picture book experienced together with it's accompanying musical DVD is a simple, ponderous pleasure geared toward young children, but which can be appreciated by all.
Olson Family Matters
May 17, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-spring
Beautiful piano music that tells the story of the illustrations in the book. Madelyn enjoyed, although didn't really want to listen more than once. We did have fun drawing our own illustrations - will try again!
Alicia
Feb 05, 2012 Alicia rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It's a little hard to read this book considering there are no words! But, there is a CD of music that goes along with the book. The songs are classical piano and are neat, just not for a two year old, yet.
Daniel Collins
Apr 22, 2012 Daniel Collins rated it really liked it
With this book being all music and just pictures, readers can explore what is literature. Does it have to have text to be literature? We can have critical thinking discussions about this topic.
  • Shadow