Dios de Lo Posible: Puede Cambiar Dios de Parecer?

Dios de Lo Posible: Puede Cambiar Dios de Parecer?

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  41 reviews
El Dios de lo Posible UNA INTRODUCION BIBLICA AL CONCEPTO ABIERTO DE DIOS Por que le dijo Dios a Ezequias que iba a morir, para anadirle despues quince anos a su vida? Si Dios sabe que ciertas personas van a ir al infierno, por que las crea? Conoce Dios de antemano las consecuencias de todas las decisiones que nosotros tomamos? En este libro, accesible pero desafiante, Gre...more
Published September 8th 2003 by Vida Publishers (first published May 1st 2000)

Scott Heaton
God of the Possible by Dr. Gregory Boyd was a difficult read for me. It is a theological book that challenges the traditional view of God (mostly my ideas) and argues for the ‘open view of the future.’ It was difficult for me, not because the writing was poor or that the logic was faulty, but the exact opposite. This was an easy-to-understand book that took me awhile because I had to put it down so frequently to think about the ideas that were being presented. (Mainly because he launched an arse...more
Adam Ross
After reading an interesting interview with Greg Boyd online, I picked up this book and enjoyed it a lot. I'm not fully convinced of his case, but the book certainly convinced me that Open Theism is no heresy. It is, instead, a means of trying to reconcile God's sovereignty and man's free will in a satisfactory way. Having remained unconvinced by the attempts of Calvinism to deal with free will and the Arminian attempt to explain God's sovereignty, I found this to be an interesting suggestion fo...more
JJ Vancil
Greg Boyd is one of my favorite authors and this book helps the reader understand the driving principles of his theology. I happen to understand God through the open lens and see it lining up with the whole counsel of Scripture. I appreciate Boyd's heart and the depth in which he uses Scripture. People are free to disagree with him, but they can't accuse him of not teaching the Word. I believe that the open view, as espoused in this book, paints the most accurate picture of God and after reading...more
Carl
I read this after reading "Letters..." because I had questions about Boyd's Open View as presented to his father. Never having been completely comfortable with the classical arguments presented by Calvin or Arminius, I am intrigued by Boyd's presentation and by the evidence he brings from Scripture. Those who want to label him a blasphemer or heretic go too far.
Thomas Kinsfather
I loved Boyd's approach to the future and God's sovereignty in Scripture. Boyd voiced a philosophy I have held for years, but never been able to put in words. That is, that the future hasn't happened, that it is partially settled and partially open. Well written with an overload of Scriptural support.
Donovan Richards
When Bible Study Becomes Scary

When I was young, my parents hosted a couples’ Bible study on Sunday nights. While my parents studied in the community of believers, I listened to music and played video games in the office.

One Sunday evening, I remember my mother visibly shaken after a study. During the Bible study, one member shared with the group his personal study on the actions God cannot perform. The very thought, to my mother, seemed heretical. God is God right? God can do anything!

But the pe...more
Randall Pratt
In this book, Boyd presents his case for the open view of God (or, the open view of the future) in a highly readable text.

After a brief introduction, he uses the first chapter to present an honest description of the classical view (or views -- Calvin and Arminius) of divine foreknowledge. Each of these essentially sees the future as exhaustively settled, and Boyd presents the biblical case for such a view.

In the second chapter, he shows the motive for the open view by sound biblical exegesis of...more
Tom
Does God know in advance all of history, including the future, down to the last detail? Or does God experience the future as we do: as an array of possibilities that are not yet decided?

My cousin and her husband gave this book to me while I was visiting them. I told them I wanted some good theology and they literally pressed it into my hands. I had no idea what it was about.

It turns out to be a very thorough theological argument for what is known as the ‘Open View’ of God. In the ‘Classical Vie...more
Elizabeth Anglin
This was a very easy and quick read. It is more than a Biblical introduction to the Open View, as Boyd explains extra-biblical reasons for his view, which are nevertheless quite thought-provoking. This is a great, simple introductory book for those who are curious or have misconceptions of what the Open View actually means.
Ben Williams
This is a helpful and extremely accessible introductions to the ideas leading to an Open Theist approach to understanding God's interactions with the universe. Though I still have questions about certain portions of the system, I found Boyd's exploration of the implications of his approach to be thoughtful and thorough.
Bryan Neuschwander
Boyd argues clearly and fairly. Not everyone will find him convincing, but his astute reflections and calm analysis may serve to shift certain deterministic presuppositions and to combat a kind of folk Christian fatalism that simply accepts whatever happens with the bland "God is in control" cliche.
Daphne Tan
Thankful for a work that common folk like me can read. Greg is candid that people should not be divided over this issue in the unity Christ has set up with his own flesh and blood, nor should they pretend to be ignorant about differences people have towards such issues. To paraphrase John Stott, not using our mind to think for ourselves on this issue (Calvinism/Arminianism/Open Theism/Molinism etc) is an insult to our Creator who designed us to use our minds to think.

Great introduction, Bible-ba...more
Calvary Church
Controversial! The future is partially open to God. Boyd places an emphasis on the Biblical texts that speak of God changing his mind, or being grieved, or giving people options – and constructs a new theology of God – referred to as Open Theism or Neothism. In all fairness, Boyd does not give up God’s sovereignty, but redefines it. His views have created a flurry of evangelical scholarship defending the traditional/classical view of God, even suggesting that Boyd’s views fall outside of the pal...more
Brian Jones
Excellent overview of the "Openness of God." A much needed corrective to the Reformed fad sweeping through evangelical circles.
Brian
Loved this book. It isn't the most comprehensive book out there on the subject, but that is not what Boyd intended. He wrote a book that was intended to be accessible to all sorts of people while still giving substance to his claims. He did a great job doing just that. I found the book very informative and convincing, although I can honestly say I had been leaning towards the open view before I even knew there was one. That being said I'm not so sure it will convince people who are deeply rooted...more
Coryke
This book was fine. I felt like a lot of the book was a conversation I've already had. This is in no way meant to diminish the book, rather, it didn't scratch the itch I thought it might. Nevertheless, I can think of several people who I would like to have read this book.

The highlight of the book, to me, seems to be tucked into the question and answer chapter at the end. I wish his line of reasoning there would have been highlighted, but alas it was not. Look for it! It is about how metaphors us...more
Andrew Ward
Very easy read and very interesting to those interested in theology.
Naomi
Boyd invites his readers to consider something that might be new to them, in thinking about God and free will and the future. In so doing, he addresses questions of theodicy and God's involvement in history, and teaches readers a way of approaching the Bible that is consistent both Biblically and with accepting a world of probabilities as a perfect one, undoing the notion of perfection as static. He carefully distinguishes the open view of God from process theology. All in all, a fine christian...more
Brian Collins
Pastoral and biblically argued points. The type of book that people would rate in terms of how they agree or disgree. My view is that any attempt to discuss Gods foreknowledge fails from the starting gun, but still open theism is probably the best we can get.

Its easy to read and I think people should consider the arguments within it.
Joshua Duffy
There is not a lot not to love about this book, unless you are a determinist. It is well written, concise, effective, and what is likely the best introduction to the idea of 'Open Theism' that I can imagine. It remains quite disconcerting that there are aspects of the future that God possibly does not know, but Boyd fills in the blanks quite nicely. Whether or not you accept Open Theism after reading this one, you most likely will have to admit it makes way more sense than Determinism.
Darnell
This book is a popular level look into the open perspective of the future or Open Theism. It's an interesting and scripturally grounded alternative to classical theism's future determinism and the idea of predestination. Open Theism provides different answers to the question of evil, the power and importance of prayer and the role of humanity in creation. I find it's a biblical and life giving perspective.
Tom
It does what it was written to do--introduce readers to the biblical arguments for open theism. It's short, bereft of footnotes, and so not a scholarly work. And introductions are just that--introductions. There are other books that give more comprehensive treatments, but if all you want is briefly outline the main biblical supports for open theism, this book gets five starts. It does that extremely well.
Daniel Goldberg
I haven't updated my books for a while! I squeezed in a few that I've read so that it counts for 2013. On to 2014! (I know this has nothing to do with the book. Sorry. I thought the book was good. An interesting and well defended stance, if you ask me.)
Dan Haley
Excellent eye opener! After hearing some about the openness of God I wanted to know more. This book was a great introduction and has left me wanting to know much more! God is so great that He has chosen to have an open relationship with His creation. This is a theme found throughout the scriptures. It makes you wonder why you have never seen it? Great book and highly recommended!
Karren Davis
Pastor Greg Boyd presents a case for open theism - the belief that God limits his knowledge of the future in order to allow human beings true free choice, and to allow us to partner with Him in bringing about the future through our prayers. While I don't subscribe to Boyd's views, this was an interesting and easy-to-read presentation of his theology.
Owlcourt
This book answered questions I had but didn't really know I had (if that makes any sense.) I found the book to be an encouragement to my faith.
Boyd is a scholar, theologian, and a pastor with a passion for growing "the kingdom". He is an advocate for the disadvantaged and marginalized. I love his heart (as well as his mind.)
Rachel
Definitely an interesting book. I have had several questions about God and how predestination fits with the idea of free will and this book was very helpful in answering many of them. I don't know if the author has totally converted me to the idea of open theology, but I'm not nearly as Calvanistic as I used to be.
Matt Anderson
I give this book a 4, not because I agree with his theology, but because he presented his position well.

Because it is not a scholarly book, most readers could pick it up and understand how he is using the Bible to prove his point.
Joshua Smart
The only reason this is four stars and not five is that I would like something more scholarly. Fortunately Boyd is supposed to be coming out with a big three volume work in the not too distant future that provides just that.
Bob
Mar 27, 2008 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that searches
Recommended to Bob by: Steve Richardson
This is an absolutely life changing book to anyone that was educated as an armenian calvinist (most of modern Christians)that answers the question of the problem of evil without confusing the subject with dualism etc.
I like it!
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Against Calvinism
  • Justification: God's Plan & Paul's Vision
  • Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire
  • A Primer on Postmodernism
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple?
  • Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination (Powers, #3)
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • Dogmatics in Outline
  • The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology
  • Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Adventures in Missing the Point
  • The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate
  • Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals
Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church Across the Spectrum: Understanding Issues in Evangelical Theology God at War Is God to Blame?: Beyond Pat Answers to the Problem of Suffering

“It takes a greater God to steer a world populated with free agents than it does to steer a world of preprogrammed automatons.” 0 likes