Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:

Gerald McBoing Boing

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  876 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
100th out of 132 books — 95 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Dr.Seuss
53rd out of 62 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle McBeth
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Mary Kate
Sep 15, 2015 Mary Kate rated it liked it
"Boing Boing!!" Wait... What?
"Shriek... Clap Clap..."

Sorry had to get that out XP Cute book(:
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Jenny Schuth
Jan 22, 2016 Jenny Schuth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I just finished Gerald Mc Boing Boing by Dr. Seuss and just like all of Seuss's books loved it. It is about Gerald who doesn't speak words but sounds instead. His parents don't know what to do with him and neither does the dr. They send him to school and his first grade teacher is at a loss too. After Gerald has no friends and feels like he has no place in the world he runs away. After a series of events he finally finds just where he belongs.

I really enjoyed this book. The rhymes were perfect
Shannon Brasher
Oct 02, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it did not like it
I did not see the appeal in this book. Gerald only speaks in sound effects, no words. His parents call the doctor who cant help him, then send him off to school to get him fixed, and school sends him right back. He has no friends, everyone makes fun of him, his parents are not nice to him and he eventually runs away. It is after he runs away, a man discovers him and his talent and puts him to work in radio. Then after Gerald is rich and famous, he has a ton of friends and his parents are proud o ...more
Laura Gibbs
Sep 29, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it it was amazing

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Cara
Aug 15, 2014 Cara rated it did not like it
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
Alice
May 15, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 Do I want to analyze this one. Well it was originally TV show and Seuss wrote the cartoon but didn't create the character.

Is it about people with disabilities (like can't speak) have worth or merit. Or is it just a funny story about a boy who because the sound effects for a radio show...you decide.

You Tube Gerald McBoing Boing
Janey
Apr 19, 2015 Janey rated it liked it
Great artwork and clever, funny rhymes. I didn't care for the message until I read a short biography about Dr. Seuss. It just occurred to me that Dr. Seuss is Gerald McBoing Boing! He was rejected at home and at school for being different (always doodling and such) and then he gained fame by finally pursuing a career with what was always told to be his weakness. Interesting!
Timmy Tim
Jul 09, 2014 Timmy Tim rated it it was ok
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
A.J.
Mar 03, 2016 A.J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is fairly short Dr. Seuss book compared to some of his other stories (which could be useful if trying to speed class along). This is a great book to use when learning about onomatopoeia. Students can interact and learn about an effective literacy tool in a fun way.
Mai
Apr 09, 2014 Mai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, dr-seuss
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went boing boing instead!

Make the most of your talent even if it's just Boing Boing :D
Shacoria
This is a Dr. Seuss story that I had never heard of before. The story is very cute. It is written in the traditional Dr. Seuss rhyming style, which so enjoyed. Overall, this is a very good Seuss story, even though it is less well known.
Alex Alderson
Jan 04, 2016 Alex Alderson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as it shows the story of a boy who is a little different and initially feels excluded from the world until he finds his place. The book presents this important message in a fun and approachable way.
The Brothers
A little boy finds himself the outsider in school, home, and life because he makes sound effects instead of talking . He's about ready to hit the rails when the owner of a radio stations recruits him to work on his shows and Gerald's life comes up roses.

Nice, but not typical Dr. Seuss, illustrations.
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Corinne
An unofficial part of the Dr. Seuss cannon that, unlike his others, actually makes a pretty good read aloud for preschoolers around Dr. Seuss's birthday.
Paul Seville
Mar 20, 2015 Paul Seville rated it it was ok
Fun book to read, just a pity the philosophy which undergirds this story sees value only in the useful or productive.
Kevin Hull
Feb 17, 2015 Kevin Hull rated it did not like it
Dumb and celebratory of the reject weirdo who's magically better than all the normal people who do things right.
Lisa
Jan 04, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
A lovely story about differences and being appreciated for being yourself. My 7 month old liked the noises
Kristine
May 04, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book about Gerald, who mimics sounds instead of talking.
Annalee
Jul 11, 2014 Annalee rated it really liked it
Fun for a playful read-aloud with kids--get them to make the different sounds.
Naeem Nedaee
Feb 08, 2014 Naeem Nedaee rated it really liked it
'The genius as outcast' or 'disability is the mother of self-discovery'!
Neha
Jan 19, 2015 Neha rated it it was amazing
Belonging, uniqueness, and acceptance.
Jenny
Mar 13, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
Maria Bulfamante
Apr 07, 2015 Maria Bulfamante rated it it was amazing
Such a fantastic book!
Ian
Jan 09, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it
Quaint story, snazzy illustrations.
Melenia Gibson
Jun 02, 2015 Melenia Gibson rated it really liked it
Cute
Emkoshka
Another Seuss book addressing a common theme for him: isolation through being different. But all's well that ends well, as Gerald finds his place (and fame) in the world. Loved the depiction of the 1950s through the characters' clothes. Old children's books are a time capsule. :)
  • All You Need for a Snowman