Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:
Gerald McBoing Boing

Gerald McBoing Boing

They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

Michelle McBeth
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Mary Kate
Sep 15, 2015 Mary Kate rated it liked it
"Boing Boing!!" Wait... What?
"Shriek... Clap Clap..."

Sorry had to get that out XP Cute book(:
Jay
Nov 24, 2016 Jay rated it liked it
The story of the odd, but cute, kid (real name Gerald McCloy) who couldn't speak but could mimic any kind of sound imaginable (explosions, sirens, trains, etc.) entered my consciousness circa 1956, about the time the cartoon movie of this story appeared in all of its black and white glory on TV. My parents bought the book, and my father read it to me several times, usually as punishment. Confidentially, I actually found the story of this outcast young boy, bullied and ostracized by adults and ot ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Nov 03, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it liked it
Good message, poor execution.

Meh. It has a lot of good onomatopoeia in it. I want to like this book, because it has a good message, but I can't get past the way the parents implicitly treat Gerald. The message is basically that everybody has their own niche, but in order to get there his parents more or less disown him, which is ridiculous. They accept him at the end, but it seems like it's only because he has money, or because he found the place where he fit. It ends up not being terribly good
Jennifer Strong
Nov 01, 2016 Jennifer Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, 2016
Gerald is a boy who doesn't say words. He says sounds instead! "Boing boing, Boom, Cuckoo and Clop-Clop, Bang!" just to name a few. At first his noises make people angry and scared. No one wants to be around this strange little boy. All that changes when the owner of a radio station tells Gerald how wonderful his sounds are and hires him. Now everyone sees his noises as talent instead of an abnormality.

This book is about recognizing the things that are unique to you as strengths. Gerald was dif
Kay
Dec 10, 2016 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerald McBoing Boing by Dr. Seuss is about Gerald, who can't say anything but made weird sounds. This is a story about when someone is ready to do something, then they will do it and not be pressured into it.
Vivek
Jan 15, 2017 Vivek rated it really liked it
Picked this up for a story telling session for pre schoolers. I like the fact it has lot of scope of "sounds" in the story to keep the kids entertained and engaged.
Ritz
Dec 14, 2016 Ritz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2016
Idk but this book felt obscure as all heck to me in terms of Dr. Seuss books but I was pleasantly surprised?
Amanda Herman
Nov 23, 2016 Amanda Herman rated it liked it
cute story but dated illustrations, fun rhyming book for younger children
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING! - that's 5 BOINGS! - a great book!
Laura Gibbs
Sep 29, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it it was amazing

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Jenny Schuth
Jan 22, 2016 Jenny Schuth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I just finished Gerald Mc Boing Boing by Dr. Seuss and just like all of Seuss's books loved it. It is about Gerald who doesn't speak words but sounds instead. His parents don't know what to do with him and neither does the dr. They send him to school and his first grade teacher is at a loss too. After Gerald has no friends and feels like he has no place in the world he runs away. After a series of events he finally finds just where he belongs.

I really enjoyed this book. The rhymes were perfect
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Shannon Brasher
Oct 02, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it did not like it
I did not see the appeal in this book. Gerald only speaks in sound effects, no words. His parents call the doctor who cant help him, then send him off to school to get him fixed, and school sends him right back. He has no friends, everyone makes fun of him, his parents are not nice to him and he eventually runs away. It is after he runs away, a man discovers him and his talent and puts him to work in radio. Then after Gerald is rich and famous, he has a ton of friends and his parents are proud o ...more
Jenny
Mar 13, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
Tim
Apr 18, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
Cara
Aug 15, 2014 Cara rated it did not like it
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
Janey
Apr 19, 2015 Janey rated it liked it
Great artwork and clever, funny rhymes. I didn't care for the message until I read a short biography about Dr. Seuss. It just occurred to me that Dr. Seuss is Gerald McBoing Boing! He was rejected at home and at school for being different (always doodling and such) and then he gained fame by finally pursuing a career with what was always told to be his weakness. Interesting!
Alice
May 15, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 Do I want to analyze this one. Well it was originally TV show and Seuss wrote the cartoon but didn't create the character.

Is it about people with disabilities (like can't speak) have worth or merit. Or is it just a funny story about a boy who because the sound effects for a radio show...you decide.

You Tube Gerald McBoing Boing
Winta
Apr 17, 2011 Winta rated it liked it
This book teaches how we all have special talents. Gerald wasn't liked by many including his parents, teachers, and peers because he couldn't speak real words and made silly sounds. In the end, his talent made him famous and his parents felt proud. This book is a nice read aloud for elementary students.
Megan Jones
This wasn't my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Although it had a good theme about discovering our own special talents, I felt the book was a little repetitive and as a child I don't think I would be super interest in it. It is definitely geared more to the younger kids like age 2-5. It is a good book for kids to use their imagination. But like I said, not my favorite.
Samantha
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Gerald doesn't speak in words, he speaks in noises. At first his parents fret, but when a radio man offers Gerald a job for his noises they celebrate their son's uniqueness.

Illustrations are in a warm color palette and show life in a simpler time. The old-timey quality of the artwork gave the book a fun feel, different from Seuss's other work.
The Brothers
A little boy finds himself the outsider in school, home, and life because he makes sound effects instead of talking . He's about ready to hit the rails when the owner of a radio stations recruits him to work on his shows and Gerald's life comes up roses.

Nice, but not typical Dr. Seuss, illustrations.
Tad
Oct 06, 2008 Tad rated it it was amazing
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
Timmy Tim
Jul 09, 2014 Timmy Tim rated it it was ok
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
April
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
A silly and enjoyable little story that had a surprising twist at the end. I thought it was humorous, but not the best of Dr. Seuss.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Tiffany
Jan 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My kids loved this book about a boy who communicates only through sound effect type noises. We watched the 7 minute short that the book was based on too:

And Gerald's parents are jerks. Just sayin'.
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Swim! Swim!
  • One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • When The Leaf Blew In
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
  • Rose's Garden