Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:
Gerald McBoing Boing

Gerald McBoing Boing

They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
99th out of 132 books — 100 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
50th out of 62 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Apr 18, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
A silly and enjoyable little story that had a surprising twist at the end. I thought it was humorous, but not the best of Dr. Seuss.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Oct 06, 2008 Tad rated it it was amazing
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
Dec 13, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008, rhyming
An short, quirky story - as always - from Dr. Seuss. This one was, oddly enough, created from a show Dr. Seuss made. Most of his stories were made into shows or movies, not the other way around. It was a cute story, but did not have a moralistic theme like most of his stories do.
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Jun 08, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Gerald McBoing Boing didn't fit in anywhere. School rejected him, his parents weren't pleased with him, kids made fun of him: all because he was different. He made funny noises instead of talking. But in the end, he ended up being celebrated because of his quirks. Awesome story!
Laura Gibbs
Sep 29, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it it was amazing

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Jan 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My kids loved this book about a boy who communicates only through sound effect type noises. We watched the 7 minute short that the book was based on too:

And Gerald's parents are jerks. Just sayin'.
Apr 17, 2011 Winta rated it liked it
This book teaches how we all have special talents. Gerald wasn't liked by many including his parents, teachers, and peers because he couldn't speak real words and made silly sounds. In the end, his talent made him famous and his parents felt proud. This book is a nice read aloud for elementary students.
Mike Jensen
Jul 26, 2012 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it
Unimportant but charming as can be, this book captures the flavor of the Academy Award winning animated short that itself was based on a story created by Dr. Seuss for the studio. This delightful book is well worth the very few minutes of your time it takes to read.
Megan Jones
This wasn't my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Although it had a good theme about discovering our own special talents, I felt the book was a little repetitive and as a child I don't think I would be super interest in it. It is definitely geared more to the younger kids like age 2-5. It is a good book for kids to use their imagination. But like I said, not my favorite.
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Gerald doesn't speak in words, he speaks in noises. At first his parents fret, but when a radio man offers Gerald a job for his noises they celebrate their son's uniqueness.

Illustrations are in a warm color palette and show life in a simpler time. The old-timey quality of the artwork gave the book a fun feel, different from Seuss's other work.
Mar 13, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
This book is nothing like the other books by Dr. Seuss. It is all about a boy that speaks in nothing but sounds. It is great to show kids that it is okay to be different and that everyone has a special purpose for their talents. Great book!
Another Seuss book addressing a common theme for him: isolation through being different. But all's well that ends well, as Gerald finds his place (and fame) in the world. Loved the depiction of the 1950s through the characters' clothes. Old children's books are a time capsule. :)
Timmy Tim
Jul 09, 2014 Timmy Tim rated it it was ok
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
Aug 15, 2014 Cara rated it did not like it
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
Michelle McBeth
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Apr 19, 2015 Janey rated it liked it
Great artwork and clever, funny rhymes. I didn't care for the message until I read a short biography about Dr. Seuss. It just occurred to me that Dr. Seuss is Gerald McBoing Boing! He was rejected at home and at school for being different (always doodling and such) and then he gained fame by finally pursuing a career with what was always told to be his weakness. Interesting!
May 15, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 Do I want to analyze this one. Well it was originally TV show and Seuss wrote the cartoon but didn't create the character.

Is it about people with disabilities (like can't speak) have worth or merit. Or is it just a funny story about a boy who because the sound effects for a radio decide.

You Tube Gerald McBoing Boing
This is a Dr. Seuss story that I had never heard of before. The story is very cute. It is written in the traditional Dr. Seuss rhyming style, which so enjoyed. Overall, this is a very good Seuss story, even though it is less well known.
Mary Kate
Sep 15, 2015 Mary Kate rated it liked it
"Boing Boing!!" Wait... What?
"Shriek... Clap Clap..."

Sorry had to get that out XP Cute book(:
Shannon Brasher
Oct 02, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it did not like it
I did not see the appeal in this book. Gerald only speaks in sound effects, no words. His parents call the doctor who cant help him, then send him off to school to get him fixed, and school sends him right back. He has no friends, everyone makes fun of him, his parents are not nice to him and he eventually runs away. It is after he runs away, a man discovers him and his talent and puts him to work in radio. Then after Gerald is rich and famous, he has a ton of friends and his parents are proud o ...more
Alex Alderson
Jan 04, 2016 Alex Alderson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book as it shows the story of a boy who is a little different and initially feels excluded from the world until he finds his place. The book presents this important message in a fun and approachable way.
The Brothers
A little boy finds himself the outsider in school, home, and life because he makes sound effects instead of talking . He's about ready to hit the rails when the owner of a radio stations recruits him to work on his shows and Gerald's life comes up roses.

Nice, but not typical Dr. Seuss, illustrations.
Jenny Schuth
Jan 22, 2016 Jenny Schuth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I just finished Gerald Mc Boing Boing by Dr. Seuss and just like all of Seuss's books loved it. It is about Gerald who doesn't speak words but sounds instead. His parents don't know what to do with him and neither does the dr. They send him to school and his first grade teacher is at a loss too. After Gerald has no friends and feels like he has no place in the world he runs away. After a series of events he finally finds just where he belongs.

I really enjoyed this book. The rhymes were perfect
Mar 03, 2016 A.J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is fairly short Dr. Seuss book compared to some of his other stories (which could be useful if trying to speed class along). This is a great book to use when learning about onomatopoeia. Students can interact and learn about an effective literacy tool in a fun way.
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Swim! Swim!
  • One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • When The Leaf Blew In
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
  • Rose's Garden