Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:

Gerald McBoing Boing

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  68 reviews
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperBeauty and the Beast by Teddy SlaterThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
77th out of 101 books — 77 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Dr.Seuss
46th out of 62 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle McBeth
Gerald McCloy doesn't speak regular words. Instead he mimics sounds he hears. His exasperated father sends him to school to learn how to speak. But the teacher sends him home calling him hopeless. Gerald soon learns that the other children do not want to play with him because of his sounds. His parents are frustrated and angry with him. So Gerald runs away. But then he is found by the owner of a radio station who wants Gerald to come and use his sounds on the radio. Gerald becomes famous, his pa ...more
Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Laura Gibbs

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Cara
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
Alice
3.25 Do I want to analyze this one. Well it was originally TV show and Seuss wrote the cartoon but didn't create the character.

Is it about people with disabilities (like can't speak) have worth or merit. Or is it just a funny story about a boy who because the sound effects for a radio show...you decide.

You Tube Gerald McBoing Boing
Janey
Great artwork and clever, funny rhymes. I didn't care for the message until I read a short biography about Dr. Seuss. It just occurred to me that Dr. Seuss is Gerald McBoing Boing! He was rejected at home and at school for being different (always doodling and such) and then he gained fame by finally pursuing a career with what was always told to be his weakness. Interesting!
Timmy Tim
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
Mai
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went boing boing instead!

Make the most of your talent even if it's just Boing Boing :D
Shacoria
This is a Dr. Seuss story that I had never heard of before. The story is very cute. It is written in the traditional Dr. Seuss rhyming style, which so enjoyed. Overall, this is a very good Seuss story, even though it is less well known.
Brittany Koontz

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Corinne
An unofficial part of the Dr. Seuss cannon that, unlike his others, actually makes a pretty good read aloud for preschoolers around Dr. Seuss's birthday.
Paul Seville
Fun book to read, just a pity the philosophy which undergirds this story sees value only in the useful or productive.
Kevin Hull
Dumb and celebratory of the reject weirdo who's magically better than all the normal people who do things right.
Kristine
This was such a great book about Gerald, who mimics sounds instead of talking.
Annalee
Fun for a playful read-aloud with kids--get them to make the different sounds.
Naeem Nedaee
'The genius as outcast' or 'disability is the mother of self-discovery'!
Neha
Belonging, uniqueness, and acceptance.
Jenny
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
Maria Bulfamante
Such a fantastic book!
Ian
Quaint story, snazzy illustrations.
Emkoshka
Another Seuss book addressing a common theme for him: isolation through being different. But all's well that ends well, as Gerald finds his place (and fame) in the world. Loved the depiction of the 1950s through the characters' clothes. Old children's books are a time capsule. :)
Tim
Tad
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
Megan Jones
This wasn't my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Although it had a good theme about discovering our own special talents, I felt the book was a little repetitive and as a child I don't think I would be super interest in it. It is definitely geared more to the younger kids like age 2-5. It is a good book for kids to use their imagination. But like I said, not my favorite.
Samantha
Gerald doesn't speak in words, he speaks in noises. At first his parents fret, but when a radio man offers Gerald a job for his noises they celebrate their son's uniqueness.

Illustrations are in a warm color palette and show life in a simpler time. The old-timey quality of the artwork gave the book a fun feel, different from Seuss's other work.
Winta
This book teaches how we all have special talents. Gerald wasn't liked by many including his parents, teachers, and peers because he couldn't speak real words and made silly sounds. In the end, his talent made him famous and his parents felt proud. This book is a nice read aloud for elementary students.
B
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Sheila
Gerald McBoing Boing didn't fit in anywhere. School rejected him, his parents weren't pleased with him, kids made fun of him: all because he was different. He made funny noises instead of talking. But in the end, he ended up being celebrated because of his quirks. Awesome story!
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Cowboy and Octopus
  • Big Plans
  • Oink-a-Doodle-Moo
  • The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8)
  • Monkey Truck
  • Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Zoom, Rocket, Zoom!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Tyrannosaurus Dad
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • When The Leaf Blew In
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax