Start by marking “Gerald McBoing Boing” as Want to Read:

Gerald McBoing Boing

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  56 reviews
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went
boing boing instead!

So goes the hilarious tale of a boy who was a little bit different—a tale that only Dr. Seuss could create. Based on the Academy Award-winning motion picture!
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gerald McBoing Boing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gerald McBoing Boing

Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dr. Seuss fans, 50s cartoon fans
Shelves: kidstuff
I own every Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon on DVD and I’m a big Dr. Seuss fan. I even have the standee for the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Anniversary of publication and have the Private Snafu videos, so I’m dedicated. When I saw the book version of the first Gerald McBoing Boing cartoon I couldn’t buy it fast enough.

Kids will love the story of the little boy who only spoke in sound effects, but grown-ups will love the jazzy artwork that was so in style for mid-century cartoons. I always look at the art
Laura Gibbs

This book has a great theme—and I had actually never heard of it, even though it’s by a really famous author! This book is simply about a little boy who can’t talk, but instead makes noises like “boing boing!” or “clang clang clang!” His parents are very worried about him, have a doctor look at him but he doesn’t help him. So their next step is to send him to school; once he goes to school, people do nothing but tease him and make fun of him. His teacher doesn’t even accept him! He finally gets
Cara
This was an alright book, but I didn't overly enjoy. I'll admit I was laughing too much at the 'boing boing' parts. It seemed sexual and I couldn't help but laugh. Plus, I didn't think that it had a good theme to show children. It practically said that if you're not completely normal no one will love you unless you're super lucky then get famous then people will hang with you. Of course we all know why then, because they want some money.
Timmy Tim
No doubt fun to read; however, the story's resolution is not Gerald learning to be unique and valuable even when he is despised. Rather, the story ends with people "needing" what he can provide, and him consequently becoming rich and famous. Fun story, but poor justification of a harmful typical social mechanism.
Mai
They say it all started
when Gerald was two—
That’s the age kids start talking—least, most of them do.
Well, when he started talking,
you know what he said?
He didn’t talk words—
he went boing boing instead!

Make the most of your talent even if it's just Boing Boing :D

Topic and Theme: Being Different, Young Boy

Curricular Use: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, Shared Reading

Social: Teasing, Rejected

Literary Elements: Onomatopoeia

Text and Pictures: Funny and clear pictures with a great message

Summary: Gerald McCloy could not speak like a normal child. Every time he talked, the only words that came out of his mouth were Boing Boing. Gerald felt unwanted, s
Annalee
Fun for a playful read-aloud with kids--get them to make the different sounds.
Naeem Nedaee
'The genius as outcast' or 'disability is the mother of self-discovery'!
Jenny
I have never seen the motion picture of this or read the book until a week ago. But as we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday and our school's literacy week last week, I decided to read some less familiar books of his to my class. We thought this one was quite entertaining. Gerald doesn't talk...he goes Boing Boing...and then Bam and Cuckoo and so on. Life is not very good for poor Gerald. The school won't take him, his parents don't know what to do with him and the doctor can't cure him. Will he eve ...more
Katie Plumley
~Great introduction to onomatopoeia. Gerald makes the sounds around him instead of talking.

~Introduction to a movie, video, video game, radio show, etc. unit....Gerald becomes a Foley artist. Students could learn about making movies and produce their own!

~Inspirational for those students who have communication disorders, or don't fit in, ESOL or students with disabilities. Everyone has a purpose and a place.

~Acceptance, community, lifting each other up, etc.
Emkoshka
Another Seuss book addressing a common theme for him: isolation through being different. But all's well that ends well, as Gerald finds his place (and fame) in the world. Loved the depiction of the 1950s through the characters' clothes. Old children's books are a time capsule. :)
Tim
Tad
OK, so maybe it's only 4 stars, but when your just-about-to-turn-2-year-old starts walking around saying "boing boing" after you read her the book, it's definitely 5 stars!
Somehow, probably because I'm so young!, I'd never heard of this Dr. Seuss book. Apparently there is an Oscar-winning movie of the same name. We'll need to get that from Netflix, post haste!
Megan Jones
This wasn't my favorite Dr. Seuss book. Although it had a good theme about discovering our own special talents, I felt the book was a little repetitive and as a child I don't think I would be super interest in it. It is definitely geared more to the younger kids like age 2-5. It is a good book for kids to use their imagination. But like I said, not my favorite.
Samantha
Gerald doesn't speak in words, he speaks in noises. At first his parents fret, but when a radio man offers Gerald a job for his noises they celebrate their son's uniqueness.

Illustrations are in a warm color palette and show life in a simpler time. The old-timey quality of the artwork gave the book a fun feel, different from Seuss's other work.
Winta
This book teaches how we all have special talents. Gerald wasn't liked by many including his parents, teachers, and peers because he couldn't speak real words and made silly sounds. In the end, his talent made him famous and his parents felt proud. This book is a nice read aloud for elementary students.
B
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Sheila
Gerald McBoing Boing didn't fit in anywhere. School rejected him, his parents weren't pleased with him, kids made fun of him: all because he was different. He made funny noises instead of talking. But in the end, he ended up being celebrated because of his quirks. Awesome story!
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Dolly
Dec 13, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens, rhyming
An short, quirky story - as always - from Dr. Seuss. This one was, oddly enough, created from a show Dr. Seuss made. Most of his stories were made into shows or movies, not the other way around. It was a cute story, but did not have a moralistic theme like most of his stories do.
Tiffany
My kids loved this book about a boy who communicates only through sound effect type noises. We watched the 7 minute short that the book was based on too:

And Gerald's parents are jerks. Just sayin'.
Mike Jensen
Unimportant but charming as can be, this book captures the flavor of the Academy Award winning animated short that itself was based on a story created by Dr. Seuss for the studio. This delightful book is well worth the very few minutes of your time it takes to read.
Snorkle
A silly and enjoyable little story that had a surprising twist at the end. I thought it was humorous, but not the best of Dr. Seuss.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Christine Levinge
This book is not only cute and fun, as all Dr. Seuss books are, but it has an encouraging message. It lets kids know that they all have talents that can be used for some purpose. It also encourages kids to accept themselves and others for who they are.
babyhippoface
The cartoon came first here, and I like it even more than the book, I think. Something about watching that boy's mouth open and hearing sounds coming out instead of words intrigued me as a kid. Now I use it with kids to help them understand onomatopoeia.
Stephanie
This book is nothing like the other books by Dr. Seuss. It is all about a boy that speaks in nothing but sounds. It is great to show kids that it is okay to be different and that everyone has a special purpose for their talents. Great book!
Kathy
How did Dr Seuss write this about my son before he was even born!! My son was also totally into making noises rather than words when he was little! On a less personal note, this is one Dr Seuss that hasn't aged as well as his more famous stories.
Suzy
This story might seem like one of Dr. Seuss' "lesser" attempts, unless you grew up listening to the story as read by the Great Gildersleeve. I recommend tracking down a recording.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: N

NOT AVAILABLE

This book is perfect for teaching about the literey device onomatopoeia. A silly story about a boy who can't speak, he only makes sounds.
Nicole
I was in the library and saw a Dr. Seuss book I hadn't seen before, so I picked it up. I know the movie, but this was a very cute adaptation of the story.
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • When The Leaf Blew In
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas?
  • Cowboy and Octopus
  • The Secret Lives of Princesses
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Duck Soup
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax