Start by marking “The Big Brag” as Want to Read:
The Big Brag

The Big Brag

It starts out harmlessly enough, with a rabbit feeling rather pleased with himself and his talent for hearing. A neighboring bear overhears the rabbit's boasting and takes offense. The challenge is on, and the bickering begins as the bear proclaims that his ability to smell is quite superior to the rabbit's hearing. It's up to a wise earthworm to point out the winner--neit ...more
Published October 20th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Brag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Brag

The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Children's Books Everyone Should Read
143rd out of 154 books — 6 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
59th out of 62 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jun 14, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it it was amazing
"The Big Brag" is just what the title says .... a BIG brag.

A rabbit believes that he is the best animal of all the animals because of his ears. A bear, on the other hand, believes he is the best of the beasts because of his nose.

The rabbit shows the bear how he can hear a fly sneeze from 90 miles away, while the bear shows the rabbit how he can smell a stale egg from even further.

Of course there is no way they can really show each other this. And that is where the old worm comes into the story.
Aug 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children and the adults who act like them.
Shelves: 2009, picture_book
Got to love Dr. Seuss. Ok - it's not the law or anything - but you know what I am saying. This book pits a proud rabbit against a gruff bear. It's like listening to two men talk about Chevy Trucks VS Ford Trucks. It's awesome. And although I seriously doubt most children will be transformed from a mean Nelly Olson into a sweet Laura Ingles by reading this, I still think it's cute and worthy of a children's library.

On a side note, this would be a great book to leave on a desk of a co-worker who
Sep 21, 2016 Sidney rated it really liked it
This book is about two animals bragging. The bear can smell better than the rabbit but the rabbit can hear further than the bear. A worm who is listening into the conversation overhears them both bragging and chimes in and says he can see better than them both. And what he can see is that they are both fools for not having anything else to do and then he goes back into his hole. The ending of this book shocks me because it is very rash and teaches children that bragging is what fool do instead o ...more
Rosa Cline
Sep 04, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This Dr Seuss book is (like most of his stories) told in rhyme; a rabbit and a bear both argue about who is best. Rabbit says it's him because he can hear the best and proves it. Bear says it's him because he can smell the best and proves it. But then as the argument comes to a head a worm pops up his head and proves them both wrong. My son and I giggled through this story.
Mar 06, 2009 Sean rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture Book

Age Level: Transitional; Grades 3 and up

World View: Not specific for either race or class.

Theme: Bragging and Materialism

Literary Elements: AA BB rhyme scheme, with great dilogue throughout the book.

In the Classroom: Kids would love this read aloud, everyone likes to brag, and write about a skill they are very good at.

Illustrations: The cockiness of the rabbit and the bear are clear, as well as the worm's satirical irritation with the other two. some of the funniest fitting
Suzanne Moore
Mar 02, 2010 Suzanne Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-childrens
I love this story! First there is a rabbit that brags he can hear better than anyone ... he supposedly hears a fly sneeze over 90 miles away ... then not to be outdone a bear says he can smell better than anyone ... he says he can smell a stale hummingbird egg over a thousand miles away. Then a worm pops up and says he can see better than anyone ... he sees all the way around the world and back and reports on seeing two conceited, and silly ones (rabbit & bear) that have are wasting their ti ...more
so cute! i love dr.seuss! :D one of my favorites from my childhood. a good little lesson for kids. it even has nice colorful little pictures. His animals are just the cutest. :D my fave line is at the ending "The fools that i saw were none other than you, who seem to have nothing else better to do than sit here and argue who's better than who!" story of my freakin' life. some people really don't have anything better to do than sit out their assess and talk themselves up, and it drives me nuts.
Feb 22, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Just read this out loud to Rebekah last night. We both thought that it was silly and fun to read. I love Dr. Seuss books, even as the kids get older! I actually think that they are old enough now to really understand the intended statement.

We had a nice conversation about bragging afterwards. Nice lead in to talk about character.
Austin Wright
Feb 03, 2015 Austin Wright rated it it was ok
My friend Kevin is reading a list of best children's books. I am following suite in order to discuss the books with him. By default, I give the books four-stars because they're good at what they're intended to do, which is to keep the attention of children and introduce them to literature.

Weak, to say the least.
Mar 05, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
A rabbit and a bear battle it out to see who is the supreme beast. The rabbit can hear far far away while the bear can smell far far away. What neither animal is prepared for is a worm who can see around the whole world!

Great read aloud with vibrant illustrations (as in the color palette used in The Lorax).
May 09, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
I would rate this book at either one and a half or two stars.
Dr. Seuss lays out in perfect rhyming form (and without a single lecturing word) the pitfalls of unmitigated bragging, and just what can happen when one person deems it necessary to prove himself superior to others. This is a classic tale told by the master of such moral fables.
Karen Dransfield
Jun 07, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The Big Brag. Another great story with a moral to it.
Read this in "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories." I'm reading or in this case rereading through two of the 100 best books lists. One from the Times and one from the Telegraph. Dr. Seuss time. I don't remember if I read this as a child or not, but now I have (again perhaps)
Feb 05, 2015 Dewi rated it really liked it
Seekor kelinci dan seekor beruang saling menyombongkan kelebihan masing-masing.
Lupa bahwa setiap mahluk mempunyai kelebihan dan kekurangan.
Dongeng lucu untuk mengingatkan anak-anak dan orang dewasa juga. Saat merasa di puncak dunia, jaya; lupa bahwa orang lain memiliki keunggulan lain yang harus kita hormati.
Teaches students about bragging and how they can be proud of their work, but that everyone and everyone's work is different and equally good but there is no need for bragging. I would use this as part of the introduction to writer's workshop.
Mar 03, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Christine Levinge
This is a hilarious book that shows you just how far bragging gets you. I crack up laughing at the end when the worm puts the bear and rabbit in their place and basically tells them to stop wasting their time talking about who is better than who.
Lisa Yi
Mar 05, 2013 Lisa Yi rated it really liked it
Funny story stemming from The Tortoise and the Hare, where the bear and hare go at it about being better than one another. Great story to introduce modesty, acceptance, and respect for one another.
May 04, 2015 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book! I love all the Dr. Seuss books and this one is no exception. I think many children will enjoy it and it's colorful illustrations.
Sep 04, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I did love this little Dr. Seuss fable. The moral is clear, the story is funny, and the illustrations are perfection.

Cali Santos
May 06, 2011 Cali Santos rated it it was amazing
Fun to read to a child. You have to sound like a bear, a rabbit and a worm which are the characters of the story.
Zoe Bubblegum
Zoe Bubblegum rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Cory rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Dallas rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Das rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Josephine rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Jesse rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2009
Tanner Evans
Tanner Evans rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Mamat rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Dianna Caley
Dianna Caley rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
  • The Nose Book
  • The Best Place to Read
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Gus Was A Friendly Ghost
  • The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need (First Time Books)
  • I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem
  • Old Turtle And The Broken Truth
  • Incredible You!: 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through
  • You Can't Go To School Naked!
  • The King with Six Friends
  • Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Edge!
  • Will I Have a Friend?