Skies Over Sweetwater

Skies Over Sweetwater

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Fictionalized history of the Women Airforce Pilots (WASP) of WWII - the first women in history trained to fly American military aircraft. Still in their teens, these courageous pioneers, heroes in their own right, left their homes to serve their country doing what they loved to do--fly! Their story inspires us all to follow our dreams and find our own place in the world th...more
Published March 15th 2008 by Keene Publishing (first published March 1st 2008)

Edith
Feb 11, 2008 Edith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens, teachers, librarians, and adults like me!
Julia Moberg's debut novel completely transported me to another world where I got an emotional story and a better understanding of WWII. Eighteen-year-old Byrd Thompson is a great character--a real girl with fears and boy interests, as well as a heroine her country barely recognizes. I love her nemesis, the prissy, Cornelia, another pilot in the program. The secondary characters are unusually well-developed and the action is dead-on. The climaxes are awesome and the ending is extremely satisfyin...more
I'm Nobody!
Jun 09, 2008 I'm Nobody! rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn more about our history as well as strong and undercredited women
Though this book was fiction, it did have interesting facts involved and did give the reader an idea of what things might have been like for these amazing women. Who knew that there were female pilots in WWII?? I sure didn't until this book came along.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Byrd's father loved flying and spreading the joy of flying. When he died in a flying accident, Byrd's mother refused to talk about airplanes or even let her daughter near one. Byrd disobeyed, and found herself when she flew. Soon she obtained a pilot's license and gave lessons.

During WWII, she heard about a special school for women pilots to aid the war effort. She immediately took the entrance exam, never dreaming that she'd be accepted.

Byrd lea...more
Marcia
An absorbing coming-of-age, historical fiction novel that tells the story of 18-year-old Bernadette "Byrd" Thompson who leaves her home in Iowa to join the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) training program at Avenger Field in 1944. From 1942 to 1944, more than 1,000 women were trained to ferry aircraft, test planes, instruct male pilots, and tow targets for anti-aircraft artillery practice. They were true pioneers; female pilots who were fearless and committed. More than 25,000 women applied...more
Valerie J K
This is historical fiction story about the WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots) paramilitary program, women pilots who flew under the direction of the Army during World War II. Their job was to free up male pilots for combat duty. 25,000 women applied but only 1074 passed the training. A total of 38 women who flew military aircraft lost their lives--the Army did not pay to ship their bodies home, and were not even allowed a flag draped over their caskets--the Army did not recognize WASP as offic...more
Trisha
ethically i must say that i know julia.

this YA novel is amazing on a million different levels. first, i had no idea about the WASP before reading this book and learning about their contributions to the effort during WW II. . i think it's so crazy that there's uniforms designed by bergdorf goodman, mascots drawn by walt disney -- and i am just reading about this now, at the ripe old age of 30.

julia really framed her protagonist in a believable and beautiful way -- and the details regarding flyin...more
Latisha
this was a very interesting and easy read. It was emotional and had a few unsuspected turns! I definitely give it five stars!!!
Ellen
I just finished reading Skies over Sweetwater. Like many readers, I had never heard of the WASPs (first women pilots in WWII) and was drawn into the lives of these young girls. While they never served in combat, they showed their patriotism and devotion by allowing their male counterparts to do so while they flew test flights and transferred planes from various sites. Despite the attitudes of the times, they showed an ability to excel and yet their stories were largely forgotten. I'm now curious...more
Joy
The high rating comes from the interesting information more than the actual writing. The book is a novel based on women who come to a military base in Sweetwater, Texas (about 100 miles west of Stephenville) for pilot training at Avenger Field. The Women Airfoce Service Pilots (WASP) training taught women to fly bombers, pursuits, trainer, and utility planes. The goal is to have the women do domestic flights to free the men for overseas war service. The story is of the young women and their chal...more
Lacey
I never read books twice, but this one I did. It was good.
jenn
Jan 19, 2009 jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to jenn by: SLJ
I really enjoyed Skies Over Sweetwater. Though I don't think the writing was stellar it still had strong characters that you could identify with. I did get a little tired of reading the phrase "the Army way." It was heavily overused but I'm not sure that is something that could have been avoided. I found the story very informative and will be looking for more information concerning the WASP. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in historical fiction or women in the 40's.
Rusty
What an entertaining and educational tale about those first brave women who joined the Air Force in WWII. Their dedication and desire to fly when it was believed that only men should be pilots is admirable. It took a long time for these pioneering souls to receive recognition for their efforts - until President Jimmy Carter granted them veteran status and gave recognition to their efforts. Good, good read.
Brett -Tastic!!
this book is AMAZING im only o page 86 but tis great. byrd thompson is a piolite, or has this huge dream of being one for the air force to back up the shortage on men piolet. byrd has to go through ruff training with a trainer no one likes to begin with and stay alive passing all her classes including flight traing with the very un favored trainer who will find any reason to flunk her.
Lisa
I wanted to really like this book, but it fell a little short. It does a good job of bringing an overlooked part of the war effort into the spotlight, but some of the details didn;t ring true. It is, however, a worthwile addition to a library for its unique point of view.
Tyra
I really liked this book. It was a super quick read that explores the role of women pilots during WWII. I was not aware this program existed and found it very interesting to learn about. It is also a great story that makes you really care about the characters.
Jennefer
This was a good book. It's really short, but the story is very endearing. I didn't know anything about the WASP program before this book. It was great to discover such an important part of our country's history!
Lara
I would give this book a 3.5. It is a great, easy, interesting read about female pilots in WWII. I think this is a forgotten piece of history. It is a youth book and would be really great for kids and teens.
Heidi
A short story about a little known subject, the Women Air Force Service Pilots (WASP) who volunteered during WWII. It's a historical fiction but the story was a little predictable in places.
Diana Petty-stone
An interesting story about a group of young women who were accepted into the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in the 1940s and trained in Sweetwater Texas.
CLM
I was looking forward to this book but found the writing wooden and cliched, not to mention several grammatical errors.
Roxann
This is a teen/young adult book. I enjoyed it, but wanted more. More info, more character development, etc.
Ccjc1995
Excellent book. I found it interesting to learn a little bit of history in a good story.
Lois
This is an awesome book about a girl pilot who is in training to go into the WASP.
Johannecr
Great book for girls. My daughter loved it and used it for her book report.
Paige
The book told me that no matter what, go for your dream.
Laurie
See a future issue of SLJ for this review!
Billye
Good read, quick and heartfelt.
Great story about the WASP program. However, I found the writing style a bit juvenile. Great for young reader. Content was good, but a bit too much detail in the plane and technicality of flying as opposed to plot within the central characters. I would have liked to know more about the characters and for the story to have been a bit longer to do so.
Rian
Aug 22, 2008 Rian added it
10/10
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Presidential Pets: The Weird, Wacky, Little, Big, Scary, Strange Animals That Have Lived In The White House Historical Animals: The Dogs, Cats, Horses, Snakes, Goats, Rats, Dragons, Bears, Elephants, Rabbits and Other Creatures that Changed the World