Start by marking “Bioethics: A Primer for Christians” as Want to Read:
Bioethics: A Primer for Christians

Bioethics: A Primer for Christians

In the face of rapid advances in medical research and treatment, bioethics has become a serious social concern. Originally published in 1996 and later chosen by World magazine as one of the top 100 books of the twentieth century, Gilbert Meilaender's Bioethics covers a wide range of pressing bioethical issues and offers discerning guidance on how Christians ought to think ...more
Published December 15th 2004 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published November 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bioethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bioethics

E
Jun 09, 2014 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Parts were excellent, such as introductory remarks concerning our creation as finite yet free creatures, the reality of suffering, and the goodness of medicine. Chapters on abortion, suicide,prenatal screening, and embryonic research were right on.

I found him a bit more conservative than myself on the topics of IVF, surrogacy, etc., but I've never spent the time to really think through those issues properly. So his chapters there were helpful. He questions such techniques, although not birth con
HomemakerMD
Nov 10, 2009 HomemakerMD rated it really liked it
This volume was smaller than some of the other Christian bioethics texts I read recently, but its content is rich and deep. The writing was clear and fluid, the arguments scriptural and didn’t simply skim the surface but grappled with the tough questions.
The first chapter, titles “Christian Vision”, was an excellent overview of the general approach Christians take to life, death, suffering and medicine. I appreciated the segment on suffering, which began with the phrase, “At the heart of Christ
Leslie
May 02, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
This book is an helpful way of re-envisioning many things we take somewhat for granted in medical practice today. Meilaender focuses more on issues pertaining to the beginning of life - to fertility, and embryos - than to issues at the end of life. However, the discussion of issues related to transplantation is interesting. The basic focus is on reintegrating mind and body, and viewing all humans as innately worthy of love. Regarding end of life issues, he sounds nearly Aristotlean in proposing ...more
John Yelverton
Jan 26, 2015 John Yelverton rated it it was ok
The main thing that hampers this book is its brevity. The author raise some good points, points out things that need to be discussed, raises a couple of eyebrows, and then just leaves you hanging without any real solutions.
Greg
May 07, 2012 Greg rated it it was ok
I did not like this book. To begin with, my opinion is that a good study of bioethics should not be shaped by the current state of medical proficiency. Current capabilities may lend new facts which can be incorporated, but this book shows its age, especially in genetic questions. Meilaender writes for a Christian audience. In so doing, he raises the obvious points of respect for Christian teach of ethics and morality rather than blind obedience to the furthest permissible stretches of the law, a ...more
Rebecca Vincent
Jan 17, 2015 Rebecca Vincent rated it liked it
A good introduction. The writing is direct and simple. This is a good start to thinking about how Christian faith influences our perspective on life.
Steph
Jan 18, 2014 Steph rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Very readable, but not at the expense of thoroughness. It canvasses a vast array of issues, but I didn't feel overwhelmed/assaulted with information - partly due to his skilful written expression, partly due to his sustenance of some core themes which he kept returning to. I'm not a sciencey type, but I found this very helpful.
Jeremy Meeks
Jan 13, 2015 Jeremy Meeks rated it really liked it
Short. Practical. Easy to read. Comes from a committed Christian perspective. A great place to start.
Ken Garrett
Apr 26, 2014 Ken Garrett rated it liked it
Excellent introductory survey to many/most of the current issues in the area of bioethics.
Sadie
Mar 24, 2011 Sadie rated it it was ok
Shelves: ethics, 2011
I don't know how to rate this book. The writing was clear and concise but I so strongly disagree with all of his points (he's way to conservative for me). In fact I think they're wrong really really wrong. I was also put off by his authoritative attitude. The suggestion that this book is "...what we Christians ought to say in order to be faithful to the truth that has claimed us in Jesus" (xii)

I'm a Christian and I don't think this book is what we need to be faithful to. I'm still hoping to find
Nyjb Reviews
Dr. Gilbert Meilander has been at the forefront of the development of Christian bioethics for decades and has made many contributions in both the private and public arenas.

The fact that this book is in its third edition (the first edition was published in 1996) is a powerful tribute to the great usefulness of Dr. Meilander’s thinking.

Some of the topics have been . . .

">Read the full book review of Bioethics: A Primer for Christians by author Gilbert Meilaender at New York Journal of Books
Justin Dillehay
Mar 04, 2014 Justin Dillehay rated it really liked it
Easy to read layman's intro to bioethics.
Haley
Jan 13, 2011 Haley rated it really liked it
This was a good introduction to the subject of bioethics from a Christian perspective. I liked the fact that he broke up chapters by taking on one issue at a time. I also liked that he offered his own clearly-stated, unambiguous conclusions about each issue he addressed. It was definitely just an overview though, so it left me wanting more in terms of depth.
Fred
Jun 10, 2008 Fred rated it it was amazing
Read this if you want some info on dealing with bioethics issues. The goal here is not having all the answers but knowing what questions to grapple with.
Kathy
Jul 10, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Great book concerning the contradictory issues with biblical answers. I loved it, it was very thought-provoking.
David
Apr 30, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ethics
A well-written introduction. A brief book with a lot of depth.
Chris
Jun 05, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ethics
Shelves: culture, philosophy
Another intro to Ethics for Christians. Very thought provoking.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Nazeem Baig
Nazeem Baig rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Joshua Chubb
Joshua Chubb marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Tom Pountain
Tom Pountain is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Tim Baron
Tim Baron marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Rachel Watson
Rachel Watson rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Keith Hill
Keith Hill marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Chuck Anderson
Chuck Anderson rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Peter Owens
Peter Owens rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Matthew  Fenn
Matthew Fenn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ
  • A Primer of Biblical Greek
  • God's Greater Glory: The Exalted God of Scripture and the Christian Faith
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • Romans
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity Diversity of Scripture
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament