Start by marking “All the Places to Love” as Want to Read:
All the Places to Love

All the Places to Love

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  1,605 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Within the sanctuary of a loving family, baby Eli is born and, as he grows, "learns to cherish the people and places around him, eventualy passing on what he has discovered to his new baby sister, Sylvie: 'All the places to love are here . . . no matter where you may live.' This loving book will be something to treasure."'BL."The quiet narrative is so intensely felt it com ...more
Published April 22nd 1994 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All the Places to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Places to Love

Heidi-Marie
This book was great, but considering the author, I expected it to be. I wasn't prepared for the beautiful pictures. They are wonderful. And the story is sweet. I felt like I was there, where the world is relaxed and uplifting. Books like these make me wish I could raise my family in such a place full of love and happiness and memories. As much as I like the book, though, it is too slow for a story time.
Sep 29, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times mom read this to us, but I always get a warm feeling when I see it anywhere. It is a beautiful story, the pictures are stunning, and the rhythm of the story is so soothing.
Relyn
Oct 25, 2010 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Cynthia Rylant
Shelves: lawsonland
This book is amazing. It is tender and sweet and full of wide-eyed wonder at the world around us. However, it is not one of those children's books written for adults. My class loved it when I read it to them to kick off our geography unit.
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I think I was expecting more from this book since Patricia MacLachlan's novellas are so beautiful. This is still a really sweet story about all the dear places the little boy gets to experience as he grows up on his farm--and the family that makes it special. The illustrations are great, too. I don't know, though, I keep forgetting that I read it so it didn't really "grab" me, if you know what I mean.
Karen
May 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom
Ellie was given this book on her 4th birthday. It is a beautiful book to read snuggled with a little one..krb 5/7/16
Bonnie
Feb 04, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is a great example of the love that is shared within a family than spans generations. The artwork in this book is also beautiful.
Urs
Nov 13, 2014 Urs rated it it was amazing

So precious, with wonderful illustrations. ENJOY!
Gwyneth
Jan 03, 2017 Gwyneth rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the first time my mom or dad read this book to me. All I remember is loving it so much as a child that they read it to me almost every night. Such fond memories, I definitely recommend it!
Nan
Jan 03, 2017 Nan rated it it was amazing
An all time favorite of mine. Beautiful illustrations and a sweet story that brings back wonderful memories of my grandparents and living in a rural area.
Kimberly Brown
Jan 03, 2017 Kimberly Brown rated it it was amazing
I love the gorgeous book. It makes me tear up every time!
Shawn Wade
Oct 11, 2016 Shawn Wade rated it really liked it
Love this book, bought to teach a unit on rural life and realized that one of my students will be having a new baby brother joining their family tomorrow and decided this will be a beautiful way to celebrate her becoming a big sister. Pictures are so beautiful and draw you in with every turn of the page.
Annika
Feb 07, 2011 Annika rated it really liked it
The story itself is very sweet and endearing, however, it's the incredible paintings in this book that make it work.

I had the privilege of meeting this painter when I was in college, he's from Oklahoma and he is an incredible artist. His oil paintings are astounding, and then to see them shrunk down so as to fit on a storybook page seems a bit..wrong. But it has to work or else storybooks would be too massive to lift.

Very relaxing, escapism feel to this book, about a narrator (a father? a mother
Olivia Lagore
All the places to love is a book my mother used to read to me all the time when I was little, and even today it holds such a special place in my heart. I too grew up showing my little brother all the places to love in our home.
The book tells the story of Eli, a little boy born onto his family's farm. As he grows up, he is introduced to all the places to love on the farm.
This would be a perfect book for Kindergarten as it first many of the standards for that grade, such as "Identify celebrations
Janice Redding
Jan 16, 2012 Janice Redding rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
This was the first time I read this book. In fact, this book made me think of a peaceful place. I say this because one of the first places mentioned in the book was a valley. Personally, I have never been to a valley, so I automatically pictured it in my head. In general, this book evinced that no matter the location of a place, the reader is in control of not only what they learn, but what they experience as well. This book will be a great addition to my classroom library, so children can start ...more
Alice
Sep 30, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No body writes books like this anymore!! Everyone is trying to be different, trying something new, using crazy characters and stupid stories. It is SO refreshing, to have nice, honest, heart warming (without the cheese)book. Books about real things!

The illustrations are beautiful! I could just look at them all day. The story is sweet and the writing is beautiful! I think I am becoming a Patricia MacLachlan fan (I didn't know she wrote picture books until today...I just thought she was the Sarah
Jarm Del Boccio
Jun 01, 2013 Jarm Del Boccio rated it really liked it
Loved this sweet book! A boy learns to love his parents/grandparents farm as they introduce him to "all the places to love". Then, when his sister is born, he dreams about the day he can do the same for her. The last page brought tears to my eyes. It reads, "All the places to love are here, I'll tell her, no matter where you may live. Where else, I will say, does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?" I've lived in the city all my life...this book inspires me to h ...more
Amanda Stacy
Apr 22, 2012 Amanda Stacy rated it really liked it
This is a great text to self for students have have been to a farm or text to world doe those who have not. This book is about a young boy named Eli who lives on a farm. Eli tells about the farm and all the special places on the farm. His details give the reader a feeling of what he loves the most about the farm and what he does with his family. The rich details give the reader a safe and comforting feeling. This could be used as a great story for students to retell or write a story using their ...more
Brenda Cregor
Apr 20, 2014 Brenda Cregor rated it it was amazing
There are no memories more beloved to my soul than those which are attached to my mother's small yellow kitchen.
Though the color scheme has been changed over the years, yellow is what it remains, golden, warm, inviting, full of love, and yes, sacrifice.
ALL THE PLACES TO LOVE takes me not only to that kitchen, but to wind-beaten Gulf Coast beaches, parks by a choppy bay, and the people who filled those humble places of my youth.
This simple, beautifully illustrated, book should be championed mor
Hatka Kecalovic
The book All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan uses descriptive words to provide vivid images for the reader. The book focuses on a farm setting with descriptions of the farming lifestyle and animals. The book metions a wide range of farm animals. The book also mentions several senses, such as smell, taste, and smell. The book also focuses on family and generational differences of children, parents, and grandparents on farms. The book also discusses different types of landscapes. This bo ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 27, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a very heart touching and at times bring tears (happy) to your eyes (if your an adult reading it to your child) This is perfect book to buy for a new baby, or for an older sibling to "give' to a new sibling. Starts with the little boys' birth and all the wonderful things his family does with him in the outdoors and around the farm. Teaching him to enjoy the world and environment. Then his baby sister is born and he wants to share it all with her. The paintings just add to the wonderful s ...more
Ali Hembree
Jan 09, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it it was amazing
This book is very descriptive in that the boy goes through and describes his favorite places in the "country" feeling. It instills a sense of family and family pride. while describing the settings, you loose yourself in where the story takes place. This can get students to write and connect to their own experiences of what their families are like as well as the environment in which they grew up in.
Marianne
Jun 23, 2008 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, and children
Recommended to Marianne by: My mom gave it to me for my first birthday away from home.
I'm a wimp, but it is hard for me to read this book without crying. Even when my kids are listening, thinking, 'What is wrong with you, woman?' The text and illustrations are beautiful individually, but also compliment each other perfectly. It is another of my favorite read-alouds when I am feeling strong of constitution. If I am pregnant or otherwise emotional, I have to fall back on Suess though.
Josiah
Apr 05, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it
The beautiful writing of Patricia MacLachlan in this story is so seamlessly interwoven with the equally beautiful illustrations by Mike Wimmer as to make the two one, a rare and magnificent accomplishment for a picture book. The story is highly memorable and deeply moving, among the very best picture books that I have ever read. As usual, Patricia MacLachlan's genius for resplendent simplicity comes through in these pages with breathtaking clarity. Quite an accomplishment.
Melanie Atkinson
Dec 19, 2008 Melanie Atkinson rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I can't get through without crying. About 1/4 of the way in, my voice starts cracking and I wind up having to stop reading to gather myself together while my kids looks at me like I'm nuts. Maybe I am nuts.
My mother in law gave it to me after I had given birth to my first little boy (whom I named Eli like the main character) and I was overwhelmed with the tenderness and the gentle flow of the story. Definitely a must have book in any storybook collection.
Samantha
Based off both the cover and title I was unsure if I would like the book. However, the old saying goes "don't judge a book by its cover." The writing and illustrations flowed beautifully creating a touching story that brought to mind my own favorite places. This book would be good to read to a class to help the students feel comfortable and safe in the classroom. The book also does a good job of showing the importance of writing.
Alexis Levine
Jan 09, 2012 Alexis Levine rated it really liked it
Shelves: exe-3601, family
All the Places to Love is a extremely imaginative story full of wonderful illustrations. The great illustrations helped me understand the story even better. The story uses a lot of descriptive words to help children notice the environment that surrounds them and the small things in life they should appreciate. THis story could be used as a writing prompt to have children imagine their favorite place. All the Places to Love is a very sweet and touching story.
Wendy
Jan 09, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, family
I really liked this book. I thought that it was a very beautiful book. I think that this book would be great in a classroom to introduce a different culture. Some students are not familiar with rural life, and this book allows them to get a good feel for it. We did an activity in class that I really liked. We were not allowed to see the pictures and we had to write about what we saw and felt. It was a great way to get us into the book and really use our imaginations.
Alana Arlequin
From personal experience, I cannot relate to the family structure or the setting expressed in this book. However, I really enjoyed this book it made me feel calm and peaceful. I was able to visualize the setting and the interactions between the characters. This would be a great book for a read-aloud before nap for younger students or as a reflection as well as a tool for critically looking at multiculturalism and diversity.This would also be a great book for a imaging lesson.
Sheniqua
Mar 15, 2012 Sheniqua rated it it was ok
This book was very serene, peaceful and reminded me of my home back in the country. I can just picture dark green grass, dust flying up the air, and my grandmother sitting on the porch while my grandfather watches his old cowboy movies on the Western channel. I would use this book during an activity where we are discussing our five senses and also a book available in the class library for my students to enjoy when they are feeling stressed or not having a very good day.
Amber
Nov 06, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
This is a sweet picture book which especially my nature-loving children enjoy. It strikes a chord with me, too. It gives some expression to the emotion tied to place, and roots, joys small and great, and family life lived together. The illustrations are beautiful, too. It seems to call for giving thanks for these things to God, though that is not included in the book, but that connection can be easily made in talking about it during a read aloud.
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Crow Call
  • Tough Boris
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains
  • The Rag Coat
  • Barefoot: Escape On The Underground Railroad
  • Come On, Rain!
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • The Giant Carrot
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western Massach ...more
More about Patricia MacLachlan...

“Where else," I will say, "does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?” 5 likes