Start by marking “The Escoffier Cookbook: and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures” as Want to Read:

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  867 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
An American translation of the definitive Guide Culinaire, the Escoffier Cookbook includes weights, measurements, quantities, and terms according to American usage. Features 2,973 recipes.
Published November 13th 1941 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Escoffier Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Escoffier Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
59th out of 1,008 books — 995 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
Best Cookbooks Ever
14th out of 181 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
May 05, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Every lawyer must read Holmes' The Common Law. Every doctor must read the Corpus Hippocraticum. Every priest must read Aquinas' Summa Theologica. So it is that every serious cook should read Escoffier. The author did not write this magnum opus with the home cook in mind; it was written for cooking professionals and therefor omits much of the instruction necessary to a mass-market cookbook in the 21st Century. His goal was to organize and simplify the classic French cooking of Antoine Carême, who ...more
Pamela Hempston
Dec 25, 2014 Pamela Hempston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Chef's Bible.
Larry Jordan
Mar 23, 2014 Larry Jordan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All aspiring cooks
After 6000 hours in a Chef Apprenticeship, I can still recite most of the recipes in this book. Over the years I have come to appreciate this training more so than when I was a young chef (who thought he was much better than he was!) and I now realize the importance of excellence in every endeavor. That is what this book is about, you need to learn the proper way to do things before you explore, deconstruct and critic.
Kevin Stokes
Dec 09, 2010 Kevin Stokes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always currently reading this book.
Steven Peterson
Jun 06, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully enjoyable. . . . A foreword by Heston Blumenthal puts this edition in context: "[Escoffier] said he wanted the book to be 'a useful tool rather than just a recipe book,' and that's exactly what it is." Another nice grace note--a very brief biography of Escoffier on pages xx-xxii by his grandson Pierre P. Escoffier.

While Escoffier may have said that this is not a recipe book, the recipes are delightfully straightforward. I have made Cerise jubilee any number of times. His description
Mar 04, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
"The Escoffier Cookbook" is a heavily abridged American version of Auguste Escoffier's 1903 book "Guide Culinaire". It is a fascinating look at the art of professional European cookery at the beginning of the 20th century.
However, to appreciate this book fully, it's important to understand exactly who it was written for. Escoffier's original guide was never for a second intended for the home cook. Escoffier was a pioneer with respect to the education of professional chefs, and originally wrote t
Amberjean
Jan 04, 2010 Amberjean rated it it was amazing
An encyclopedic French/English cookbook from the turn of the century. Interesting historical detail aplenty buried amongst the oysters and braised endive. Cooking methods at the turn of the century were much less, well, cookbook than they are now; a cook had to know how to manipulate the fire and the materials. That's still true at a high level of proficiency, of course, but the mass-market cookbooks we're used to no longer operate that way.

A word of warning--if you don't eat bacon, this book wi
Sharon
Jul 13, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Fabulous reference guide
Tracy
Dec 26, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Serious, heavy-weight reference for old-school professional French cooking. Novice cooks might find it intimidating, in the same way novice readers could find Tolstoy's War and Peace overwhelming.
Tania
Nov 19, 2013 Tania rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
You can't really review "The Bible" unfavourably, that's just being contrary. Escoffier, in his seminal book, sets out as many as 33 types of consommé. He concisely puts all variations of stock, court-bouillon and everything else.
THE reference book for classical French cookery.
Jenn de la vega
Feb 11, 2013 Jenn de la vega rated it really liked it
I read through this like it was Jane Austen. I spent the first run through circling recipes that I thought I could pull off on a normal grocery budget (because who can afford to throw truffles into everything?). My second read will be in the kitchen, I can't wait.
Alyson
Feb 11, 2009 Alyson added it
Mission: Read a cookbook with no pictures that requires heavy use of glossary. Done and Done. But who can make a Peach Melba the old fashioned way? Me. It's so like me to start with the desserts. I'll learn to make game stock and bechamel later...
Dan Anthony
May 25, 2011 Dan Anthony rated it it was amazing
THE definitive cookbook. Not read fully, but skimmed, marveling at the quantities of meat put into good sauces. Worth reading to understand the exact basis of french cuisine, and then the commercial art of cooking.
Alissa
Jan 15, 2008 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: chef-ette-reads
yeah yeah yeah, i know. Two from escoffier?! I went to a french culinary school. Give me a friggen break! plus between my chef (chris) and i we have both. YEAH.
Karin
May 15, 2009 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, it's a book to read and study. I love that this book already assumes you know how to cook and that it was originally written for professionals.
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
VERY detailed text for the aspiring chef. A bit over my head, but still got some great tips out of it.
Alissa
Jan 14, 2008 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
im continually strolling through this book for some sort of inspiration or a laugh.
it's a classic. you know.
Beau
Feb 23, 2010 Beau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ongoing interesting reading... seeing into the mind of the absolute culinary idealist!!! INSPIRING
Heather
Mar 27, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another indispensable cooking reference. You need this book if you love to cook!
Sam "The Record Man"
Mar 02, 2008 Sam "The Record Man" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodstuffs
One of those vital culinary texts. Classical French techniques laid out.
Melissa
Jul 17, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
he's the godfather of cooking. he redefined the mother sauces for chrissakes.
Mar 18, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gastronomy
I'm amazed by the science and the art in this book.
Brad Dunn
Aug 12, 2011 Brad Dunn rated it really liked it
The best breakdown of French cooking I've seen
Peter
May 05, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing
Just got this from Powells. Very exciting.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Interesting historical cookbook
Emilio Mignucci
Emilio Mignucci rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combining Editions 4 45 Dec 22, 2013 05:32AM
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen
  • Culinary Artistry
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • The Complete Robuchon
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Bouchon
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Think Like a Chef
Georges Auguste Escoffier (pronounced [ʒɔʁʒ ɔ.gyst ɛs.kɔ.fje]; 28 October 1846, Villeneuve-Loubet, Alpes-Maritimes – 12 February 1935) was a French chef, restaurateur and culinary writer who popularized and updated traditional French cooking methods. He is a legendary figure among chefs and gourmands, and was one of the most important leaders in the development of modern French cuisine. Much of Es ...more
More about Auguste Escoffier...