Start by marking “The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)

The Coil (Liz Sansborough #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Liz Sansborough thought she had left her past behind forever. A former CIA field agent as well as the daughter of perhaps the most notorious Cold War assassin, the man known to the world only as The Carnivore, Liz is now a university professor in Southern California specializing in the psychology of violence. But her dead father's legacy has come back to overtake Liz.

Some
Published April 7th 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published December 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Coil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coil

Elisa
Nov 03, 2011 Elisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a wild ride! You don't know who to trust or who is the "bad guy". It was amazing. If you like this type of book, it is a great read.
Manugw
Jun 13, 2011 Manugw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A POOR PROTRAIT OF A SPY NOVEL

Though the author explains at the end how the plot of this novel came to her mind, I do not yet know what she had in mind when she wrote The Coil

There are key elements that a great spy novel cannot afford to lack, and in The Coil you will never find, a bottomline fiery existent mystery to entice the readers, a very well strong developed character (either a lovable hero or a bad guy or both), ingenious twist and turns (I could not find even a single one), action pac
Christian
Apr 29, 2013 Christian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really don't know why it took so long for me to finish this book. Gayle Lynds has everything in it that I used to love in the classic Robert Ludlum stories. We do have a highly intelligent and capable heroine, struggling with her own violent past and the secrets of her dead father the professional killer Carnivore (stupid name by the way). In addition we have a group of influential business men manipulating world events to their benefit, a kidnapping, highly explosive files and secret agents w ...more
Deborah Wall
May 20, 2016 Deborah Wall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The power elite

I have just recently discovered Gayle Lynde and am happily reading my way through her espionage adventures. This one involves a search for information about a secret order of world leaders . The characters are well developed, including the women, and the story is a good one.
Michael Matson
Nov 29, 2014 Michael Matson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To use a famous Dorothy Parker quote, "This book should not be put down lightly. It should be thrown with great force."
The Coil is terribly over-written and full of impossibly timed and improbable events.
Hard to get much past a few chapters without wondering why anyone would recommend a book so badly written.
Kurt Young
Oct 31, 2015 Kurt Young rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A run of the mill 40 to 50 page short story about Bilderburgers turns into a 400+ page assault on literacy.

Flaccid prose, overwrought language, inane plot "twists."

Starts with identical cousins and goes downhill quickly, before plunging into an abyss of stupidity.

Insipid, insulting and ill-advised.

Also, not very good.
Robert Henry
Jan 06, 2015 Robert Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sequel...hoping for another one.
K
Dec 22, 2013 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice pacing. I had trouble keeping the people and story lines straight, but I am sure it was just me. The two cousins seemed too much like, their voices so simiar, I often had to look back to see who was in that situation, or where I left Liz or if I was reading about Sarah.I liked the simultaneous stories twisting around-who is good, who is evil, who is the coil, who is cronus, what are the titans, what is the cia's goal, or MI6? It finally all came together in the end.
I liked this style and wa
R J Mckay
The Coil continues the story of Liz Sansborough, her cousin, Sarah Walker, and Liz's assassin father, Carnivore. Liz, a university professor in Southern California is dragged back into the world of espionage and danger when an attempt is made on her life and her cousin is kidnapped while on vacation in Paris. Someone is trying to find the files of her dead father, the assassin known as Carnivore.

The plot is is full of twists.
Philip
Jan 21, 2013 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book can be enjoyed without having read the author's Masquerade, I don't think it can be fully appreciated. Both are excellent stories and well-paced. The narration of The Coil is good, but I didn't care for Ms. Reading's male British accents very much. Not distracting enough to lessen the book's enjoyment, but distracting none-the-less.
Brad
Jan 13, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to read The Coil before it hit the shelves, an advance reading copy courtesy of Ms. Lynds herself. An excellent work, especially to those readers familiar with the characters that were featured in the preceding work, Masquerade. Personally, I find The Coil to be an even better read than the work that preceded it.
Elli
Nov 05, 2010 Elli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Following through her Liz Sansborough series. Liz is the brilliant daughter of a brilliannt assassin. Now it seems that the assassin left some records, and those incriminating records have some prominent people going after them, no holds barred.
Savannah
This time it's globalization that is the bogeyman, with Big Industry supplying the villains. No, no parallels to Alaska here. The book was competant but not earthshaking--it was simply a bit confusing instead of mysterious at the begining.
Tamara
Mar 11, 2008 Tamara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading...it is the sequel to "Masquerade". So far, really good...will let you know when I finish what my final thought is! Along the same lines action-wise as the Bourne books by Ludlum.
Anita Kronowitz
Jun 18, 2013 Anita Kronowitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read! Action packed and suspense-filled. Some parts of the plot were a little on the weak side and too many coincidences to be believable. Overall, though, I would suggest this book.
Jeanie
Feb 19, 2008 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spy lovers
she is an excellent writer in terms of creating suspense. I alternately can't stop reading vs turning it away because the suspense is killing me! This is an excellent break from Moby Dick!
Strega
Mar 24, 2010 Strega rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Masquerade was better - while this was a decent read, the truncated story sections made it easy to put down and confusing to pick back up.
Patty
Mar 29, 2011 Patty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way too much stuff going on...Wow...so couldn't get into it nor really attach to any of the characters.
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 Toni Osborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a fast paced espionage full of surprises and a terrific read. I loved it.
Phyllis
Jan 16, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one. Lots of action, non-stop.
Kathleen
May 18, 2010 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
light mystery will look for more
Jessie H.
Jessie H. rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
anita. hendrix
anita. hendrix marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
brent caldwell
brent caldwell rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2016
Judy Nyutu
Judy Nyutu marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Garry Thompson
Garry Thompson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
torbjorn krog
torbjorn krog rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
  • The Anaconda Complex: A Thriller
  • Quiller Solitaire
  • Blown
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • Transvergence (Heritage Universe 3-4)
  • Henry McGee Is Not Dead (November Man, #9)
  • Blood Oath
  • Red To Black (Anna Resnikov, #1)
  • The Blue Demon (Nic Costa, #8)
  • Through the Breach
  • Takedown: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire
  • The Tehran Conviction (Jack Teller, #3)
  • Tails you Lose (Shadowrun, #39)
  • Jacquot and the Waterman (Daniel Jacquot #1)
  • Science Fiction 101
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • Glasgow Kiss
  • Accusations
New York Times bestseller Gayle Lynds is the award-winning author of ten international espionage novels. Library Journal calls her “the reigning queen of espionage fiction.” The London Observer says she’s a “kick-ass thriller writer.” Lee Child calls her “today’s best espionage writer.”

Born in Omaha, NE, and raised in Council Bluffs, IA, Gayle graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree i
More about Gayle Lynds...

Liz Sansborough (2 books)
  • Masquerade (Liz Sansborough, #1)

“Mellencamp sat back. He had just left his meeting with Liz Sansborough, where he had failed to get the information he needed.” 1 likes