Start by marking “Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Secrets to Natural Health of Dogs and Cats” as Want to Read:
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Secrets to Natural Health of Dogs and Cats

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Secrets to Natural Health of Dogs and Cats

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  46 reviews
This is the book by Dr. Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn, now in its 3rd edition. Contents are the same as 'Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs and Cats' in softcover, only the title has been changed slightly.
The first part of the book is a discussion of foods fed to pets and some of the effects on health from using them. The next section gives alte
Published January 1st 2005 by Rodale Press (first published September 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Secrets to Natural Health of Dogs and Cats

Mary Tuley
Sep 19, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All pet owners.
This is a huge encyclopedia of a book for dog and cat owners, and it's a tremendous source of alternative information. I'll be using it as a reference work, but it's also sensitive, humane, and wonderfully thorough.
Renee
There is some really, really valuable information in this book. I appreciate the holistic approach to dog care in terms of not only physical health, but emotional and mental health as well. Many people discount the feelings of animals, but dogs are man's best friend and we would not feel such connections to them if they did not have the ability to at least reflect back to us some of our own feelings. It is a grave disservice to pets, particularly dogs I believe, to treat them as though their emo ...more
Smoke
this is a good book to keep on your shelf, right next to the one based in traditional veterinary knowledge. when you have an issue, you can reference both and make up your own mind, on a case-by-case basis.

good information on dog nutrition, and products to try if you think your dog is reacting to commercially processed foods. i didn't bother with most of them, because it seemed very expensive and time consuming, but i will if it seems like i need to.

it's also good to know that a responsible pet
Alix
Well-written resource for pet owners. I bought this because my dog was elderly and refusing most dog food; I googled homemade dog food and found this book. I felt better making things from recipes written by a vet; I wanted to ensure she was getting what she needed (and nothing she didn't!). Good directions, helpful suggestions, and lots of sympathy for people with an ill animal. I cannot recommend this enough if you have a pet with a chronic illness, allergies, or something else that just seems ...more
Jeanette Johnson
His first edition was my first exposure to alternative veterinary medicine. Although I do not agree with him on some points of nutrition, he is a patriarch of this field has done much to advance the healthcare of options of domesticated animals world wide.
Aeron
Nov 20, 2008 Aeron rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with pets
I should probably give this 5 stars, but thought it a little too strict, and slightly unrealistic by offering things like homeopathic spaying alternatives (WTF?). That said, it's been a great resource. The book includes a lot of information on pet health, not just diet, although Pitcairn is very big on feeding your pet the right diet to keep your pet healthy. It also includes a section of common health problems and holistic treatments.

We've switched our dog Cleo to a fresh foods diet - not all
Andrea Partee
Lots of good information in this book including specific homeopathic and herbal treatment options. The only reason I don't give it five stars is I don't agree with feeding pets grains and legumes. What I found was after a while grains such as brown rice and legumes such as pinto beans were simply coming out undigested. After trying it his way I found my dogs were much healthier and more energetic once I got rid of the grains. Healthier meaning no health concerns and also no fleas (which is a si ...more
Deb
Jul 30, 2008 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deb by: Teri
This book was an interesting read, but both myself and several friends put our dogs [11 total] on the recommended diet and dry food brand. ALL dogs reacted badly - despite a slow taper to the new diet - and we ended up back on our old system. I have since read elsewhere that domesticated dogs have evolved a different digestive system and do not tolerate raw meats well (which Pitcairn recommends). And all of our dogs did very poorly on the book's recommended dry food brand.

Note: I highly recommen
Shantalai
Great for pet owners! The biggest revelation for me was the part about modern commercial pet food, and how harmful it can actually be. Also, I found out how dangerous cortisone drugs are! And vets give our pets those drugs like it is ok! I am Determined to follow all guidelines in the book to make my kitty very healthy.
T.L. Cooper
Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Richard H. Pircairn, DVM, PHD, and Susan Hubble Pitcairn provides a reference for raising healthy dogs and cats. The Pitcairns examine pet health care, feeling pets, exercise, and creating a healthy environment for pets. They also discuss in detail using all natural food and alternative therapies to promote wellness, cure illness, and treat common health problems pets encounter. They include well researched and well thought out recipes for mee ...more
Saadia
Tried to feed my dogs all raw diet but am now doing a combination of dry food and raw and cooked foods. My 2 little dogs have cast iron stomach and love everything. They can handle raw chicken and bones and raw fish and it gives them harder stools. They love cut veggies. Solid Gold is one of my favorite brands. I mostly supplement by looking for organ meat like chicken and beef livers, gizzards, lungs, etc. as well as muscle meat (ground fatty hamburger; soup bones, etc.) Supplement with fish oi ...more
Pat
Dr. Pitcairn's book fails to recognize significant dietary and metabolic differences between cats and dogs. His home made diet section is an excellent example of this. Would not recommend.
Rexanna
I have used this book for years with the daschunds and corgi dogs who have honored me and my husband as companions. This book has chapters on nutrition, grooming, emotional concerns, coping with death, and holistic and alternative therapies. I use the recipes to make homemade dog food for our corgi, Gryffyn. He gives it two paws up! There are also tables for quick reference for all sorts of health issues for cats and dogs. The part of the book I use most is the quick reference for different type ...more
Kathy Blajerski
Very good book to have as a reference to help to take care of our furry family members.
Samantha
This is a good resource. I appreciate that Pitcairn stresses that a proper, species appropriate diet is the foundation of good health throughout the animal's life. I don't agree with everything he says, but I think this is an important, thought-provoking book. Prior to reading the book, I had already been feeding a balanced, species-appropriate diet to my dogs, so the information was not ground-breaking to me. However, I will use this as a reference for other health issues and do recommend the b ...more
Christine
What kind of doctor gives a recipe for natural cat food that includes grains? Cats are obligate carnivores! I would just stick with supermarket corn kibble, then. I'm not a vet, but I don't hear many vets recommending that homemade cat food be mixed with millet. Some stuff in the book is useful, such as how to give your pets medicine and information on different illnesses. But most of it is the "alternative medicine" pseudoscience in pet form. Not falling for this anymore.
Lea Anne
A nice book, overall. It has some good tips for different ailments and I do like the recipes that they have for the dogs and cats. I could never afford to feed my pets a home cooked diet all the time but I like the recipes that are supplemental to dry kibble. I already tried the cottage cheese supplement (but without adding the powder that was recommended.) This may be a book I buy just to have on hand and I don't buy books that often.
Nov 05, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a dog or a cat
This book is a MUST-HAVE for all dog owners or cat owners. Even if you are not deciding to feed your pet a natural diet, the information about animal health, illnesses, and homeopathy for pets is unmatched anywhere. This book was extremely informative and very easy to read. In fact, I am starting my cats on Pitcairn's natural food diet today. It's very simple -- if I wouldn't eat it myself, why would I feed it to them?
Jessie
I have only read a small portion of this book so far, and already I am giving it 5 stars, which I haven't given any book I have read recently in a while. The info is amazing, and I believe that it will change my pet's life, as I am now open and willing to try new holistic ways of feeding and treating my pets. LOVE it! I will definitely be buying this book, as right now I am borrowing it from the library.
Almie
Interesting information that challenges the typical veterinary recommendations. I used it as a basis to do further research on the areas I was most interested in.
Elizabeth
Dr. and Susan Pitcairn hold pretty close to my gold standard in raising and caring for animals: Juliette de Bairacli Levy. I was seeking not only nutritiously sound dog/cat food recipes but all around natural pet care and I was not disappointed. If you are seeking a good Natural Rearing guide this one is pretty good.
Christine
Dr. Pitcairn is the original when it comes to holistic pet care--there is new nutrition research now that supports what he was writing in this original book. Sometimes he goes over the top (read: fear/guilt) but hey--take it for what it's worth. I figure if I wouldn't eat it, neither will Jake or Lillie :)
Quercus
If I had to recommend any book out of the dozens and dozens I've read, this is the one I would recommend as the "ONE" that pet owners should have. Sort of like if you could only have one cookbook, it would be "The Joy of Cooking," although I have my reservations about the latest edition.
Carrie
There is some good information in here, but the foods are heavily grain-based. I started my puppy on these foods when she was 4 months old, but I've learned since then that she definitely does not need all of the grains. We are happily using the whole-prey model now.
Nusaybah
I have a weakness for cats that adopt me and for dogs who like me. The thing is...what I share with them is my love of and need of meat. When I am trying to figure out anything amiss in one of my four legged pals I always consult a Pitcairn text first.
Asifa
If you ever considered cooking for your cat or dog after the pet food scandal, this is the go-to book. Offers lots of info on dietary needs and lots of recipes. The overview on the pet food industry was eye-opening and deeply disturbing.
Maya
I read the version before this. It has a lot of great information and it's a great resource to have. Some of the information seemed a little outdated, but it is still a great addition to any library for dog and cat owners.
Nicole
This book is a must-have for any pet owner. I'm assuming your pet is a dog or a cat.
It includes recipes for special-needs dogs that you would have to pay a veterinarian hundreds of dollars to reveal. Seriously!
Abby
A comprehensive and helpful overview of raising a cat or a dog with natural, alternative, and homeopathic practices. Lots of emphasis on a natural, organic diet and creating a healthy, toxin-free environment.
langa
i feed both my dogs home prepared food and i use the recipes from this book consistently. an amazing resource and wealth of information for pet guardians seeking a natural or holistic approach to pet care.
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
  • The Culture Clash
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution