Start by marking “Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms” as Want to Read:
Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms

Crossing Over to Canaan: The Journey of New Teachers in Diverse Classrooms

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Gloria Ladson-Billings provides a perceptive and interesting account of what is needed to prepare novice teachers to be successful with all students in our multicultural society. This book is must reading for all those entering the profession of teaching today and for those who prepare them for this important work." --Ken Zeichner, associate dean and professor of curricul ...more
Published March 15th 2001 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Over to Canaan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Over to Canaan

I really liked the premise of this book, but there just wasn't enough detail to make it really worthwhile. I wanted to know a lot more about the teachers and what actually happened in their classes.
Good author and researcher. Just happens to be highly specific to the field of teacher training. A little too specific for me.
Read this for a class on diversity in the classroom. Not sure what I was hoping for personally, but it is a very good summery of an ethnographic research project looking at fourth graders in america. Durkheim does downtown, as it were. My problem with the book has more to do with the limits of ethnography rather than the ethnographers. The author manages to evoke a lot of sympathy even for the least sympathetic of families.

In a summary chapter she notes that even the craziest households felt qu
Abby Dreps
Important ideas-bad format/presentation
Ladson-Billing's book about the teacher prep program she and others started at U-W Madison to train teachers to work in diverse classrooms. It's a story about her own coming-of-age-as-a-teacher, too. The book bogs down in the stories of each individual student teacher and the challenges she faces, and although Ladson-Billings is a smooth writer, by the end of each chapter it's not clear what the point is. Thank goodness for the italics that let me know what it was supposed to be.

I didn't care for the assumptions regarding "the average white
teacher"--but then I work in schools where anyone who is white
is a minority. What I did learn--look to the students to see
what sparks their interest. I really don't like to view students
through racial lenses, which is what this book is encouraging you
to do.
Jen Chau
Feb 24, 2008 Jen Chau rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, educators, those interested in making diversity work for kids
Recommended to Jen Chau by: marc etienne
This book was helpful in terms of initiating my thinking about diversity in the classroom. It was helpful to hear some anecdotal experiences from folks who went through diversity teacher training... but I was left wanting more guidance on how educators can actually make diversity work in schools.
required reading for a single subject credential course, i didnt really relate to most of the issues being dealt with by the student teachers being observed...on the other hand Other People's Children I really found to be pertinent.
Dec 14, 2013 Rhonda added it
I like the author's anecdotal approach to theorizing and emphasizing the relevance of the "Teach for Diversity" program. This book was informative, engaging and an easy read.
Sep 04, 2010 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This book reminds me of the thoughtful colleagues I worked with at Cardinal Stritch in Milwaukee.
Aug 13, 2007 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
teacher book!
Quin Rich
Quin Rich marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Tia marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Megan Luczak
Megan Luczak marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Bee Mo
Bee Mo marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Gigi marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Sarah Pape
Sarah Pape marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Margo R
Margo R marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Kari marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children Beyond the Big House: African American Educators on Teacher Education (Multicultural Education) Culturally Relevant Teaching: A Special Issue of Theory Into Practice Education Research in the Public Interest: Social Justice, Action, and Policy Critical Race Theory Perspectives on the Social Studies: The Profession, Policies, and Curriculum (Research in Social Education)