Start by marking “Snow White & Rose Red” as Want to Read:
Snow White & Rose Red

Snow White & Rose Red

Devoted sisters and forever friends, Snow White and Rose Red are as lovely and sweet as the delicate flowers that inspired their names. One winter morning, they hear a knock at their cottage door. A bear! Snow-covered and half frozen, he begs for a warm place to rest, and they oblige. The story of this strange guest soon unfolds. Will the girls agree to help the bear find ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bell Pond Books (first published 1827)

To ask other readers questions about Snow White & Rose Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow White & Rose Red

Fred
May 17, 2017 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fairytale! It was fairly short and not particularly eventful, considering it was by the Grimm Brothers, but it was very cute and it tied up as every fairytale does. :)
Tilly
Feb 20, 2017 Tilly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not remember very much if this fairy tale in particular and it was nice to read it again.
Linda
This is not to be confused with the well known fairytale Snow White. This Snow White lives with her mother and sister in the forest and is visited, one night, by a bear. The story also includes a dwarf, a treasure, and, of course, the royal element which is always present in a fairytale. All these components should be enough to make something amazing, like so many of the Grimm's fairytales, but somehow, I didn't get that feeling. I had expected something more, perhaps a message. Unfortunately, i ...more
Indya
This short story confused me quite a bit - until I realised that this Snow-White has nothing to do with the Snow White from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Whoops!
Analissa Cox
Feb 26, 2012 Analissa Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is the definition of a classical fairytale. Though I never read this book as a child or even heard of it, when I did read it I knew this would be one of my many favorite books I would keep at home. It had all the elements of a great story, an introduction, a antagonist, and a love story. though there was no real conflict for the girls other than the Dwarf being mean to them it still was a cause for the a great story. I'm only a little confused on if this story is what happened before ...more
Veronica
Jamii
Apr 27, 2014 Jamii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: empty-shelf-2014
I like this story better than the Grimm Brothers Rapunzel which I also recently read(both are on a book list/challenge I've decided to tackle) this one flowed better and I like the story telling better, unlike Rapunzel I had know idea of any details in this story, maybe that's why I enjoyed it more? It sends a better message than Rapunzel that's for sure, it teaches that you should always be kind and use manners.
Brenda
Dec 06, 2013 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, number 1, this Snow White has nothing to do with the famous Snow White, other then sharing a name with her...unless this one predates the one from history, before the death of the mother, that was unclear. You really have to read it like Snow White is a complete stranger to you, because in this book, she is.
Tricia Schneider
I read this when I was a child. This is one of my favorite fairy tales!
Brittany von Savoye
Anthony Mitchell
This is a story of how being kind to all people,including animals,will pay off in the end. Two sisters take in a bear in the middle of winter and that bear turns out to be a prince, who was cursed by an evil dwarf.

Although this ending was not unlike another Grimm fairy tale,'The Frog Prince',it did have more twist and turns that made the ending much more enjoyable for me. Thus the four star rating. The recurring theme from this tale is that it pays to treat everyone with respect,even animals.

Yessenia
Mar 10, 2013 Yessenia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The one I found was a pop-up book and the illustrations were really good. The story is about two sisters (Snow White and Rose Red) who live in the forest with their mom. A bear that talks goes to their house to warm up. One day the bear leaves and tells the girls he won't be back. The girls then run into a dwarf different times and save him. One day the girls see the dwarfs treasure and the bear gets there and kills the dwarf. It turned out that the bear was the prince ...more
Janine Abraham
Feb 25, 2014 Janine Abraham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book Snow White has a sister named Rose Red. They live in the forrest with their widowed mother and befriend a talking bear that they help against the evil little dwarf. You find out at the end of the book that the Prince was turned into the bear because of an evil spell put on him by the dwarf. The spell is broken when the dwarf dies. Snow White marries the Prince and her sister marries the Prince's brother. This is another fractured fairy tale that take a unique spin on a classic.
Tatjana

Das Buch bietet das Grimmsche Märchen Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot, plus einer recht überschaubaren, knackigen Zusammenfassung bezühlich Herkunft des Märchens und psychoanalytischen Deutungen.

Daher war es ganz gut zu lesen, wobei mir der Teil im Märchen wo der Zwerg vorkommt nicht so gut gefallen hat.
Rachel Otting
Snow White and Rose Red are sisters who take in a bear. The bear leaves once spring comes because the gnomes steal his things. The girls run into the gnome and upset him several times. The gnome is going to hurt the girls and the bear kills him. The bear turns into a prince, the evil spell has lifted. Snow White marries the bear prince and Rose Red marries his brother.
Wooden Horse
Jul 23, 2012 Wooden Horse rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Well, the book is a little too long for a bedtime story and it does go on in the old Grimm Brother style. Don't expect too much in story development;story highlights just seem to pop out unexpectedly...
Oh, and someone gets killed leading up to the happy ever after ending. -R.B.
Gitta
Given the recent changes to the ToS on Goodreads, I -- like many -- have decided to delete my reviews. This review has been moved to Booklikes. Click here to read my review.
Carrie Adair
The story is okay. I don't like it as well as other Grimm fairy tales because its message is very obvious. It isn't hidden symbolically in the least. This teaches children manners and to help someone whenever they are in trouble. I wish Rose Red had a more equal role with Snow White in this story.
Mary
This is the original (?) tale of Snow White and Rose Red. It is a darker tale, but it has a happily-ever-after kind of ending. The story is a bit long, and the pictures are older, but it is a classic tale nonetheless.
Jacquelyn Arbegast
This book tells the tale of Snow White originally done by the Brothers Grimm.
Melissa
Jun 10, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So snow white and rose red was a good read. Although the ending was strange. Otherwise it was a good fairy tale.
Vaishali
Quite boring. Non-sensical without magic.
MrsChris
Such a cute little story perfect for small children. Kindle illustrated version has some very pretty little illustrations and only cost about $3. Well worth the investment.
Ale
Apr 08, 2016 Ale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
it was ok
Maggie
Not much of a plot, but cute :)
Jessica
A fairy tale I've never read before. Very good!
BookGirl
Sep 23, 2016 BookGirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brittany Turner
Brittany Turner rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
Nikkita Riley
Nikkita Riley rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2016
lori rowe
lori rowe rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • The Art of Fiction
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...