Start by marking “Oms en série” as Want to Read:
Oms en série

Oms en série

Que sont devenus les hommes ?
Les survivants du grand cataclysme ont été recueillis par les draags, géants bleus aux yeux rouges, qui les ont emmenés sur leur planète, où le temps s'écoule beaucoup plus lentement que sur la Terre.
Asservis, domestiqués, ils sont devenus des oms, des êtres dégénérés au service de leurs nouveaux maîtres.
Mais peu à peu, menés par le jeune Terr,
Mass Market Paperback, Folio SF, 185 pages
Published October 11th 2000 by Folio (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Oms en série, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oms en série

Ksenia Anske
Sep 03, 2015 Ksenia Anske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surreal sci-fi. A story told in images. Gave me a fantastic, drugged feeling.
J.j. Metsavana
Feb 22, 2015 J.j. Metsavana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kuulsat ulmemultifilmi "La Planete Sauvage" on ilmselt paljud näinud. Omamoodi kurjoosumina on see film isegi olemas eestikeelse dublaaziga. Ning kuigi film ilmus 73 aastal ja raamat juba 50nendatel (ei viitsinud täpsemalt kontrollida) tehti teose tõlge ingliskeelde alles 2010 aastal. Igaljuhul on filmiga kõige tugevamalt seotud teose esimene pool ehk Terri noorus ja mehistumine (ka seal on väikesi kõrvalepõikeid ja suuremaid-väiksemaid erinevusi). Lõpp on juba hoopis teine ning ühelpoolt küll v ...more
Gabriel
Jun 08, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The animated film based on this book is one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, and for that reason, it was quite interesting to read the book that inspired the film. Unfortunately the book reads more like a synopsis of a sci-fi epic than an actual novel. The scope of the narrative is quite large while the pace of the action is presto allegro while little or no background is given for any of the characters except the protagonist - whom we still know very little about. The writing ...more
Wraith Tate
I first saw Fantastic Planet, the extremely trippy animated film based on this book when I was, I believe, in middle school. I at last decided to check and see if my local library had a copy of the novel. Some of the elements of the story were changed quite a bit for the movie, which was interesting.

However, I think this edition should really have had a better editor. The formatting of it was inconsistent, and there were many typos and spelling errors. Sometimes the "flow" of the text felt very
Jim
Jan 10, 2017 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first part was great and very much like the wonderful film. Part two and three were not. A bit disappointing as I absolutely love the film that was based on this book.
Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
Most will be familiar with Stefan Wul's Oms en série through the animated film adaptation released in 1973, La planète sauvage to French speakers, Fantastic Planet to English speakers. It's certainly how I discovered this book. And while I thought the film was fine for what it was: a beautifully animated and drawn film with some truly fantastic designs and an interesting premise, I felt it was lacking in almost every other regard. I was hoping the book it was based on could provide me with somet ...more
Brittney
Fantastic Planet is a short novel about two opposing groups, the ruling Traag’s and the subordinate Om’s which are taken from Earth by the Traag’s after the stagnation of their civilizations and intelligence to be kept as pets. They later break free of their captivity and after much adventure become an equal race alongside the Traag’s. How charming.
Fans of the animated movie version may be disappointed. The storyline is similar at the beginning, but quickly diverges from the films plot. So, if
Ransom
Dec 14, 2011 Ransom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love love love this movie and I waited a long time to read the book. It was not published in English until 2010 or so, not to my knowledge anyway. At first I was disappointed because I was expecting to find lots of additional details and the first half of this book was pretty much just like the movie. But then in the second half a number of different things happen that didn't make it into the movie, which is pretty short. It was also fun because you can tell you're reading a translation and it ...more
Carl
Jan 04, 2016 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 2010 translation ( the first time ever in English) of the 1950's Novel (entitled Oms En Serie) which was made into the 1973 cult classic animated film La Planete Sauvage ( Fantastic Planet).

it is difficult to give this allegory/novel a fair chance reading it nearly 60 years after its initial publication. it has such a simplistic and small story and plot, but that is its point. It is an allegory of race relations, ethnic conflict and societal genocide.

Humanity, or what's left of it, has been br
Brenna
Mar 06, 2010 Brenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Dans ce roman simple, il y a l'histoire de les etrangers d'espace s'appelle les Draags ("Traags" dans le film "La Planete Sauvage") et leur animaux familiers (mais ces animaux est, en réalité, les hommes - ou "Oms" - qui est tres petit pres de les Draags). Quand l'Om de un petit Draag s'appelle Tiwa a disparu, il etait tres malheureuse... mais pour l'Om Terr, l'adventure est commencer! Il se reunit avec un autre om s'appelle Brave, qui est le patron d'une troupe des Oms savauge, qui habitent dan ...more
Edward
Sep 09, 2013 Edward rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the animated film when I first saw it in 1984, waited for decades for an English translation of the French novel that inspired it. I was hoping the book would reveal subtleties of the storyline or other intangibles of the imagination that a movie can't leave to chance, but I was disappointed. At times tedious (even for a 154-page book), there's no real character development or depth to anything that occurs, it's more like a timeline of events. I was intrigued as a fan of the film, but disa ...more
Liam
Jul 12, 2015 Liam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't watched the film. Something appears to have been lost in the English translation of this, as sometimes there is awkward vocabluary and grammar.

This seems too simple and unfinished. There was no plot twist, it was purely exposition>falling action, I was waiting for something to happen. Maybe the film will improve my opinion, but the only meaningful idea mentioned here that I spotted was:

"We are only accountable to ourselves, and we can only rely on ourselves"

Aaron Kent
Jun 21, 2011 Aaron Kent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
What sets this book apart from many of its contemporaries in science fiction is that an award winning animated film was made (haven't seen it yet) Outside of that, this is on par with a fair amount of the science fiction of this caliber. It had moments but just felt rushed a overly simple towards the novels end.
Andrew
May 13, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple concept, great ideas but pretty juvenile. The writing seems to have been lost a bit in the translation to English. The animated film is how this story was meant to be portrayed I believe. Okay book, not fantastic.
Bobby Cockrell
The film adaptation is superior. The only inventiveness is the historical allegory. The quality of the writing is rambling and shallow. But the basic narrative concept weakly held my interest.
Lucile Desligneres
Oct 07, 2014 Lucile Desligneres rated it liked it
Shelves: french, sci-fi
Des idées superbes mais je trouve qu'on est tout de suite jetés dans l'histoire. J'aurais aimé plus de description de cet autre monde, plutôt que de tout de suite aller dans l'action.
Ruth Kieser
Ruth Kieser rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Azul Niño
Azul Niño rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Appoline Piotrowski
Appoline Piotrowski rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Silène Edgar
Silène Edgar rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Malef
Malef rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Infax
Infax rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2009
Matt Novak
Matt Novak rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Carl Wold
Carl Wold rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Potato
Potato rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Tuxphobos
Tuxphobos rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
  • The Houses of Iszm
  • Starborne
  • Quest of the Three Worlds
  • Le Grand Secret
  • Les Guerriers du silence (Les Guerriers du silence, #1)
  • Bios
  • Shakespeare's Planet
Stefan Wul was the nom de plume of French science fiction writer Pierre Pairault. He was a dental surgeon, but science fiction was his real passion. Most of his books reflect that, showing a deep knowledge of scientific data. Pairault retired from dental surgery in 1989, but remained active in the French science fiction scene.

He published eleven novels between 1956 and 1959 and a twelfth in 1977.
More about Stefan Wul...