Start by marking “Always, Rachel: The Letters of Rachel Carson and Dorothy Freeman 1952-64-The Story of a Remarkable Friendship (Concord Library)” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Rachel Carson's landmark book Silent Spring set the modern environmental movement in motion.This very special collection of letters from Rachel Carson to her Maine summer neighbor Dorothy Freeman offers an intimate, spellbinding look at Carson's private life and thoughts.
An intimate collection of letters from the woman who sparked the modern environmental movement.
"What
Published July 20th 1997 by Beacon Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Always, Rachel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always, Rachel

Mark
May 27, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I'm currently reading this book. It's part of my morning ritual while I eat breakfast. I'm drawn into Rachel and Dorothy's world a few letters at a time. It almost feels wrong to read these intimate letters, knowing that Rachel so valued her privacy, but given that the editor is the granddaughter of Dorothy Freeman, and consulted with Dorothy prior to beginning this project, I feel less like a voyeur and more like a privileged friend. The letters chronicle the lives of these two women during the ...more
Janet
Jan 15, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hard-core Carson fans
This book probably isn't for everyone -- it's long and the editor wasn't especially ruthless in her pruning (she is the grand-daughter of Carson's correspondent and trustee of the letters, so she can be forgiven). This bulky volume is worth the extra time, for the letters between Rachel Carson and Dorothy Freeman, her dearest friend, are deeply moving.

For anyone who appreciates Carson's solitary work as a female scientist and whistle blower, in addition to being a beloved nature writer, these le
Rift Vegan
Feb 09, 2013 Rift Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rift by: Aram
Loved this. Probably 90% of the letters are from Rachel, which is a shame because Dorothy's long "every day" type letters were wonderful and, even as long as the book already is, I wanted more! :)

Rachel and Dorothy were readers, and the mentions of the books they were reading delighted me. I started keeping a list of all the ones that looked interesting... some I've read before: Gift from the Sea, Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle: Darwin's Five-Year Circumnavigation, and The Wind in the Willows
Meghan Portillo
You don't have to have read any of Rachel Carson's books in order to fully appreciate the letters she wrote to her best friend. These letters (nearly 3/4 written by Rachel) show the love and intensity of her friendship with Dorothy Freeman; they offer a glimpse of what life was like in the 1950s and 1960s - particularly the world of publishing and environmentalism; they show her fear and courage during her fight with breast cancer. She doesn't go into much detail about the writing process she we ...more
Shaya
A kindred spirit gave this to me to read with a beautiful inscription. I am slowly reading through it. It is over 500 pages, but oh so amazing if read in the correct frame of mind.
Tan
Tan added it
Jun 13, 2016
Michaela Gallagher
Michaela Gallagher marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
María Concepción
María Concepción marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jwnichols
Jwnichols marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Susan Santos
Susan Santos marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Leslie Goddard
Leslie Goddard marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Paul Weil
Paul Weil rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Zalak
Zalak marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Kevin James
Kevin James marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Samantha Minnis
Samantha Minnis marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
TRISHA SINKHORN
TRISHA SINKHORN marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Carl J.
Carl J. rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Tisch29
Tisch29 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Rachel Louise Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring and other writings are credited with advancing the global environmental movement.

Carson began her career as an aquatic biologist in the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, and became a full-time nature writer in the 1950s. Her widely praised 1951 bestseller The Sea Around Us won
More about Rachel Carson...