Start by marking “Always, Rachel: The Letters of Rachel Carson and Dorothy Freeman 1952-64-The Story of a Remarkable Friendship (Concord Library)” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Rachel Carson's landmark book Silent Spring set the modern environmental movement in motion.This very special collection of letters from Rachel Carson to her Maine summer neighbor Dorothy Freeman offers an intimate, spellbinding look at Carson's private life and thoughts.
An intimate collection of letters from the woman who sparked the modern environmental movement.
"What
Published July 20th 1997 by Beacon Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Always, Rachel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always, Rachel

Janet
Jan 15, 2008 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hard-core Carson fans
This book probably isn't for everyone -- it's long and the editor wasn't especially ruthless in her pruning (she is the grand-daughter of Carson's correspondent and trustee of the letters, so she can be forgiven). This bulky volume is worth the extra time, for the letters between Rachel Carson and Dorothy Freeman, her dearest friend, are deeply moving.

For anyone who appreciates Carson's solitary work as a female scientist and whistle blower, in addition to being a beloved nature writer, these le
Mark
I'm currently reading this book. It's part of my morning ritual while I eat breakfast. I'm drawn into Rachel and Dorothy's world a few letters at a time. It almost feels wrong to read these intimate letters, knowing that Rachel so valued her privacy, but given that the editor is the granddaughter of Dorothy Freeman, and consulted with Dorothy prior to beginning this project, I feel less like a voyeur and more like a privileged friend. The letters chronicle the lives of these two women during the ...more
Rift Vegan
Feb 09, 2013 Rift Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rift by: Aram
Loved this. Probably 90% of the letters are from Rachel, which is a shame because Dorothy's long "every day" type letters were wonderful and, even as long as the book already is, I wanted more! :)

Rachel and Dorothy were readers, and the mentions of the books they were reading delighted me. I started keeping a list of all the ones that looked interesting... some I've read before: Gift from the Sea, Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle: Darwin's Five-Year Circumnavigation, and The Wind in the Willows
Shaya
A kindred spirit gave this to me to read with a beautiful inscription. I am slowly reading through it. It is over 500 pages, but oh so amazing if read in the correct frame of mind.
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Ayça
Ayça marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Aleyna
Aleyna marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Shay Shay
Shay Shay marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Persephone
Persephone marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Mary Lipscomb
Mary Lipscomb marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
mt
mt marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Narayanan Harimohan
Narayanan Harimohan marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Renae
Renae marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Margaret Storey
Margaret Storey marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Solara
Solara marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Liz Toombs
Liz Toombs marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Stephanie Hannah
Stephanie Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Rimi Chakrabart
Rimi Chakrabart marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Jody Milholland
Jody Milholland marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
bombilating
bombilating marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rachel Louise Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring and other writings are credited with advancing the global environmental movement.

Carson began her career as an aquatic biologist in the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, and became a full-time nature writer in the 1950s. Her widely praised 1951 bestseller The Sea Around Us won
More about Rachel Carson...
Silent Spring The Sea Around Us The Sense of Wonder The Edge of the Sea Under the Sea Wind