The Edge of the Sea

The Edge of the Sea

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"The edge of the sea is a strange and beautiful place." A book to be read for pleasure as well as a practical identification guide, The Edge of the Sea introduces a world of teeming life where the sea meets the land. A new generation of readers is discovering why Rachel Carson's books have become cornerstones of the environmental and conservation movements. New introductio...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Peter Smith Pub Inc (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of the Sea

Davey
Rachel Carson would be cause for serious regrets re: my career if she didn't write in such a damned inspirational way. You don't need to be a marine biologist to do and see the things she does, you just need to love nature and hang out by the sea. Barring that, all you need is free time to read and an open canvas of a mind for her words to paint on.

I was with a girl digging up Coquina Clams a week or two ago, and realized how little time I'd spent by the water. That, plus finishing Carson's book...more
Raven
This is one of my most-loved books of all time. Packed with illustrations, it's like having a marine biologist walk along the beach with you. Or, for a marine biologist like me, it's a reminder of the wonder and the grandeur of the sea, the motivation that got me my vocation.
Robin
Another sea classic by Rachel Carson, this one focusing on life in the zones between lowest and highest tides. All animals and plants described here are directly observable without diving equipment, which makes this a valuable resource for beachcombers. Carson’s descriptive and lyrical writing make this a worthwhile read for anyone who enjoys visiting the beach or is curious about what life forms may be present below the waters at high tide.

The book describes intertidal life on the US East Coas...more
Josephine
Nov 09, 2007 Josephine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of nature books
Shelves: non-fiction
Scientist and ecologist Rachel Carson is famously the author of Silent Spring (a landmark book challenging the use of pesticides), and not-quite-so-famously the author of The Sense of Wonder (a short book about helping children develop a sense of wonder and appreciation for the natural world) which I have gushed about in the past.

The Edge of the Sea is a great read for anyone who likes to spend time mucking around in tide pools, or is curious about the strange creatures that live in them. The ti...more
Eva A.
I saw on Google that today is Rachel Carson's birthday. She is a personal hero of mine. Besides being a brilliant scientist at a time when very few women were taken seriously, she was an amazing and lyrical scientific writer. I highly recommend this book and any other by her.
Hilary
This book was beautiful. It was a combination of poetic descriptions of sea life and absolutely fantastic drawings. Everything was careful, everything was perfect. The Edge of the Sea created this gorgeous, intricate illusion of sitting serenely by the shore and watching these perfect little animals crawl around you, trying to survive in the best way they know how. Rachel talks about these creatures as intimately as if they were her personal friends. This book was informative and completely love...more
Marybeth
On my way home from Nova Scotia we stopped in Bar Harbor and that meant Acadia National Park. I happened to see this book in the gift store and though I of course knew about Silent Spring (which I've never read) I've never read any of her books and all the people who say this book combines poetry and science are absolutely true. I didn't think that reading a book about various ecological zones along the seashore could ever be interesting, but the book is written in an accessible manner and with...more
Anna
A guided tour of coastal ecology, focusing on the Atlantic coast of the US and divided into three sections: rocky northern, sandy mid-Atlantic, and the coral coast of the far south. Carson is an excellent writer and her passion for marine life makes this an excellent read. Highly recommended for those interested in the ocean and the lives of tidal creatures. I read parts of this while sitting in the tide line at Emerald Isle, NC. A perfect beach read!
Kala
The perfect read for a winter beach vacation or to unplug before bedtime. Rachel wrote this before Silent Spring; this book is a sweet blending of her artistic and scientific regard for the natural world. She is a superb writer in the traditional sense and manages to present scientific facts in a storytelling way that is engaging and poignant. I scored a first edition in a used bookstore in Mendocino on a camping trip in the Redwoods.
David
Carson writes with clarity about the life to be found on Atlantic shores, from Newfoundland to Key West, focusing on plants and invertebrates. Her style perhaps reflects the primness, the starchiness of her mid-century era. Bob Hines' black and white drawings are helpful; some of the diagrams and maps are less clear. An appendix recaps the taxonomy of the sea life, such as it was known at the time.
Dominika
Ever wondered how jellyfish reproduce? I didn't, but I'm awed now that I know. It's my current night time reading and each night I go to sleep with visions of barnacles and periwinkles and long, flowing seaweed fronds that nourish and shelter life forms I never knew existed.
Jim Krosschell
Rachel Carson (1907-1964) came late to Maine, at the age of 46, to summer in Southport, where the beaches and tide pools inspired The Edge of the Sea, a thrilling marriage of science and poetry. The National Wildlife Refuge in Wells and vicinity is named after her.
eidelyn
Jul 05, 2007 eidelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nature lovers, science nerds
Shelves: science-is-fun, wordy
Rachel's respect and admiration for the ocean is seen in every word she writes- a dedicated prose to its beauty, protection and preservation. Though written nearly half a century ago, her words still bring strength to the modern conservation movement.
Rachel Carson has a beautiful way of writing about the world around her. I find myself captivated when I read her descriptions of things normally found only in textbooks. Her words bring life to the pages. The sketches in here are also great.
Madeleine
I think if Rachel Carson and Muriel Wylie Blanchet had lived at the same time on the same side of the continent, they would have been friends.

This is like Pagoo for grownups :) My other favorite book about sea creatures.
Greg Collver
I enjoyed this book, like all of Carson's. Her descriptions have a poetic effect and she always inspires a sense of discovery, to explore the beach and to look closer at all the life that you can find there and to wonder.

Skip Stoddard
Loved it in spots, but it just got too encyclopedic for me. If you want to learn all about the three different types of coastal areas of the eastern US, and about the zillions of creatures, this is the book for you.
Lindsey Doolan
Carson describes each section of the Atlantic coast with a different chapter: the rocky New England coasts, the dunes of the mid-Atlantic, and the mangrove swamps of the South. Fun look at each of these ecosystems.
LINDA
Read this at the beach, it will open your eyes to the world of activity happening beneath your toes in the sand. My favorite part is about the mole crabs and how they move up the shore in masses as the tide comes in.
Mark
So far, this is a fascinating read. It is certainly dense - it has been interrupted a couple times by easier reading - but every time I pick it up I'm just amazed by her descriptions of the life of the shore.
Michelle-Marie
Sep 01, 2011 Michelle-Marie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Each summer I pick a title or two from a shelf full of books on the Sea and the accompanying field guides. Carson is a lovely writer. A real pleasure to read on a balmy summer's eve.
Claire
I loved this book. It's the sort of read from which you constantly interrupt yourself in order to interrupt someone else by saying, "Hey, listen to this..."
Andrew
I will never think of the ocean or the beach in the same way. Not just vacuous space, but teeming with the wildest kinds of lifeforms I had no idea existed.
Eliel
Though dated it was still an interesting read for the era in which it was written. I love the sea so I am always interested in books like this.
Christopher
She has a flair for brilliant analogy, but it only shows itself occasionally. As always, all the evolutionary assumptions were irritating.
Amber
Her reputation as an amazing writer is well-earned. Fascinating, breathtaking, kinda gross, always amazing. Tidal regions, man. Who knew.
Angela Joyce
This is so beautifully and vividly written that there is no need for illustrations. It's one of the best books I have ever read.
Cliff
Most famous for The Silent Spring, Rachel Carson's prose is luminous, and her true passion was the sea. Great great book.
Rhonda
Her books are so great, she is so good at describing nature in a way that a non-scientist can understand.
Sybil
Rachel brings to life an interesting and exciting world at the edge of the sea; well worth reading.
  • Voyage of the Turtle: In Pursuit of the Earth's Last Dinosaur
  • The Moon by Whale Light and Other Adventures Among Bats, Penguins, Crocodilians and Whales
  • The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
  • The Unnatural History of the Sea
  • The Youngest Science
  • A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals
  • The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • The End of the Line: How Overfishing Is Changing the World and What We Eat
  • Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
  • The Life of Birds
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
  • The Tree: A Natural History of What Trees Are, How They Live & Why They Matter
  • About This Life
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
  • Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
Rachel Louise Carson (May 27, 1907 – April 14, 1964) was an American marine biologist and conservationist whose book Silent Spring and other writings are credited with advancing the global environmental movement.

Carson began her career as an aquatic biologist in the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, and became a full-time nature writer in the 1950s. Her widely praised 1951 bestseller The Sea Around Us won...more
More about Rachel Carson...
Silent Spring The Sea Around Us The Sense of Wonder Under the Sea Wind Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson