Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature

Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, published in 1962, did more than any other single publication to alert the world to the hazards of environmental poisoning and to inspire a powerful social movement that would alter the course of American history. This definitive, long-overdue biography shows how Carson, already a famous nature writer, became a reluctant reformer. It is a com...more
Published September 15th 1998 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1994)

Merilee
I.d give it 3.5 stars. Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring and The Sea Around Us, was a brilliant scientist and beautiful writer. This book, while extensively documented, gives more than one needs or wants to know of Rachel's every move. The story could have been told in the half the 500 pages.
Phillip Rhoades
I could only recommend this text to the most ardent of biography nuts. While I was pleased to learn more about one of the greats of environmentalism I could have done without so much detail. All the benefits of the biography are outweighed by the density of the text.
Angela Joyce
I was simultaneously inspired and heartbroken while reading this book. What an amazing woman, and what a sexist era she lived in. I think people appreciate her more now. They'd better.
Natylie Baldwin
This book made me want to read Silent Spring more than before, considering just what it took for Ms. Carson to write it -- a long and grueling bout with the cancer that would eventually kill her. There were times when I was surprised by just how ill she was (various infections and other maladies due to a weakened immune system in addition to the cancer and radiation treatments themselves). Yet so many times she rallied again in order to finish the project and to have a little more time with her...more
Jack Coleman
Mar 10, 2011 Jack Coleman rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who trusts large chemical manufactures.
The Biography i read was from Henry holt and co.New York "The Life of the Author of Silent Spring"
by Linda Lear. isbn 0-8050 3427-7.
A very moving biography of a great woman writer and scientist,whose life of hardship did not prevent
her from saving the ecology from the greed and insensitivity of the established order.
Quote from the book: Albert Schweitzer "Modern man no longer knows how to forestall.He will end up
by destroying the earth from which he and other living creatures draw their food."
Kim
I love the book. It is obvious that Linda Lear took a great deal of effort to undercover little known facts. It was like getting to know Rachel Carson-including her childhood, her tough time at Chatham and her time at Wood Hole. I was thrilled to hear that it was one of her senior managers who said, "This won't do-you need to edit this for Atlantic Monthly" and how Rachel would say that the boss was her first literary agent!!
Liz
I knew of Rachel Carson before I read this book – rather, I knew that she had written Silent Spring, which I knew was a defining book of the modern ecology movement. But reading Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature introduced me for the first time to Rachel Carson, the woman. And, as always when I am intrigued by a person, I want to read everything by her and about her – hence, the addition of all of Carson’s works to my reading list!
stephanie cassidy
Just brilliant. Endearing and thorough. Would that this woman were able to stay with us for longer than she did. Compassionate, tough, factual and fiercely loving. A hero. A splendid human being.
Lauren
The text is quite a slog, but the volume of information is impressive at least, and truly heroic at best. A comprehensive chronicle of the life of one of the 20th century's most influential people.
One of my favorite books of all time. Changed my life. Rachel Carson was a scientist who struggled for years to get published. Her road to publication is inspiring and heartfelt.
Sherrida Woodley
Informative, detailed accounting of Carson's life. Even more, Lear took the time to explain the biologist's personal life which was as tragic as it was world-altering.
Annette
This wonderful biography was well-researched. After reading it, I immediately purchased Carson's earlier works to read again.
Ed Renehan
Truly superb. A great and important life rendered in absorbing, carefully researched prose.
Rift Vegan
Such an inspiring and depressing tale. Linda Lear tells a great story.
Mary Dunn
An in depth look at the life of one of my heros, Rachel Carson.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Emilia
Emilia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kerin Jacobs
Kerin Jacobs marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Lexie
Lexie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature Beatrix Potter: The extraordinary life of a Victorian genius The Sense of Wonder Under the Sea Wind Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson