Start by marking “Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature” as Want to Read:
Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature

Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature

Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, published in 1962, did more than any other single publication to alert the world to the hazards of environmental poisoning and to inspire a powerful social movement that would alter the course of American history. This definitive, long-overdue biography shows how Carson, already a famous nature writer, became a reluctant reformer. It is a com ...more
Published September 15th 1998 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel Carson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel Carson

Nov 30, 2011 Merilee rated it liked it
I.d give it 3.5 stars. Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring and The Sea Around Us, was a brilliant scientist and beautiful writer. This book, while extensively documented, gives more than one needs or wants to know of Rachel's every move. The story could have been told in the half the 500 pages.
Phillip Rhoades
I could only recommend this text to the most ardent of biography nuts. While I was pleased to learn more about one of the greats of environmentalism I could have done without so much detail. All the benefits of the biography are outweighed by the density of the text.
Angela Joyce
Jan 03, 2011 Angela Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
I was simultaneously inspired and heartbroken while reading this book. What an amazing woman, and what a sexist era she lived in. I think people appreciate her more now. They'd better.
Natylie Baldwin
Nov 26, 2012 Natylie Baldwin rated it really liked it
This book made me want to read Silent Spring more than before, considering just what it took for Ms. Carson to write it -- a long and grueling bout with the cancer that would eventually kill her. There were times when I was surprised by just how ill she was (various infections and other maladies due to a weakened immune system in addition to the cancer and radiation treatments themselves). Yet so many times she rallied again in order to finish the project and to have a little more time with her ...more
Jack Coleman
Mar 10, 2011 Jack Coleman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who trusts large chemical manufactures.
The Biography i read was from Henry holt and co.New York "The Life of the Author of Silent Spring"
by Linda Lear. isbn 0-8050 3427-7.
A very moving biography of a great woman writer and scientist,whose life of hardship did not prevent
her from saving the ecology from the greed and insensitivity of the established order.
Quote from the book: Albert Schweitzer "Modern man no longer knows how to forestall.He will end up
by destroying the earth from which he and other living creatures draw their food."
May 22, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
I knew of Rachel Carson before I read this book – rather, I knew that she had written Silent Spring, which I knew was a defining book of the modern ecology movement. But reading Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature introduced me for the first time to Rachel Carson, the woman. And, as always when I am intrigued by a person, I want to read everything by her and about her – hence, the addition of all of Carson’s works to my reading list!
Feb 13, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I love the book. It is obvious that Linda Lear took a great deal of effort to undercover little known facts. It was like getting to know Rachel Carson-including her childhood, her tough time at Chatham and her time at Wood Hole. I was thrilled to hear that it was one of her senior managers who said, "This won't do-you need to edit this for Atlantic Monthly" and how Rachel would say that the boss was her first literary agent!!
stephanie cassidy
Just brilliant. Endearing and thorough. Would that this woman were able to stay with us for longer than she did. Compassionate, tough, factual and fiercely loving. A hero. A splendid human being.
Apr 11, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Changed my life. Rachel Carson was a scientist who struggled for years to get published. Her road to publication is inspiring and heartfelt.
Jul 25, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
I thought this book was quite engrossing but the strange typos in the kindle edition were so numerous that it was distracting.
Feb 02, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The text is quite a slog, but the volume of information is impressive at least, and truly heroic at best. A comprehensive chronicle of the life of one of the 20th century's most influential people.
Sherrida Woodley
Oct 04, 2010 Sherrida Woodley rated it it was amazing
Informative, detailed accounting of Carson's life. Even more, Lear took the time to explain the biologist's personal life which was as tragic as it was world-altering.
This wonderful biography was well-researched. After reading it, I immediately purchased Carson's earlier works to read again.
Lita Judge
Lita Judge rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2010
Susan Schmidt
Susan Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Ginni rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
EyeOnNature rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Bob Simpson
Bob Simpson rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Robert rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2011
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2011
Laura rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2008
Robin Berry
Robin Berry rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2009
Katherine rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Edward Renehan
Oct 06, 2013 Edward Renehan rated it it was amazing
Truly superb. A great and important life rendered in absorbing, carefully researched prose.
Karen Joy
Karen Joy rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Meghan Portillo
Meghan Portillo rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Laurel rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Batsheva rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Jane Susann MacCarter
Jane Susann MacCarter rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson
  • On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson, Author of Silent Spring
  • Henry Builds a Cabin
  • American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • The Discovery of Jeanne Baret: A Story of Science, the High Seas, and the First Woman to Circumnavigate the Globe
  • Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds
  • The Gentle Subversive: Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, and the Rise of the Environmental Movement
  • Michelle Obama: An American Story
  • Songbird Journeys: Four Seasons In the Lives of Migratory Birds
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Forgotten Pollinators
  • The Future of Nature: Writing on Human Ecology from Orion Magazine
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
  • One Life at a Time, Please