Start by marking “With Christ in the School of Prayer” as Want to Read:
With Christ in the School of Prayer

With Christ in the School of Prayer

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  1,176 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Classic book views prayer not as drudgery or a way to win favor with God, but as a means of communing with the Creator--and seeing lives changed.
Published May 1st 2005 by Barbour Publishing (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about With Christ in the School of Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Christ in the School of Prayer

David Goetz
Jan 13, 2016 David Goetz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good! Murray's constant claim is that the Father surely will give a favorable answer to the prayer of faith offered by one who abides in Christ. His reflections on the importance of Scripture for prayer, on the relationship of the Father to the Son to the Spirit, and on our prayers vis-a-vis the constant intercession of the Son are all superb. Basically, the Father hears the voice of the Son and does nothing apart from the Son, and Father and Son are joined together in the Spirit. The Fath ...more
Robin Lee Hatcher
A classic book on prayer that speaks as powerfully today as it did in 1885. Worth reading and meditating on.
Dan Chance
Sep 02, 2012 Dan Chance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Author's photo:

He wastes no time getting started and starts at the most promising point, Jesus teaching his disciples when they asked him to teach them to pray. They had obviously seen that he had power with God that no other man had. I don't know if they had already or would soon see him quiet the sea of Galilea, raise the son of the widow of Nain,and his friend Lazarus from the dead and heal the man who had been born blind but they knew his habit was to pray and they wanted to know how.

I have
Natalie Weber
Oct 29, 2009 Natalie Weber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Normally I don’t read books on prayer because I think it’s probably a better use of my time to just pray instead. But I’m so glad I read this book! Andrew Murray, a recognized authority on the topic of prayer, shares some incredible insights that left me with a new understanding of what a life of prayer should look like. One of the most poignant insights I gleaned from the book is the importance of expecting God to answer our prayers. Mr. Murray shares, “It is one of the terrible marks of the di ...more
Haymanot
Oct 19, 2012 Haymanot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: experience
"And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee?" (Mark 10:51; Luke 18:41).

Our prayers must be a distinct expression of definite need, not a vague appeal to His mercy or an indefinite cry for blessing. ... Our expressions of need, sin, love, faith, and consecration must be accompained by an explicit statement of what we are asking for and what we expect to receive.

I have probably prayed tens of thousands of vague prayers.

But the word of the Master teaches us mo
Lynda
Apr 18, 2012 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prayer
This book is a life-changing book to read. I've heard it said that this is the most-important book to read on prayer, and now that I've read it, I agree.

This is a great introduction to Andrew Murray, if you've never read him before.

"Lord teach us to pray in a month!"

You'll be so hungry and filled after reading this, that you'll want to move on to Humility and Absolute surrender by Andrew Murray, before you go on to read other works on prayer.
David
Oct 03, 2008 David rated it it was ok
Tough book to judge. There is much that is very edifying in this book that will help the Christian on how to pray; however, I disagree with Murray on his interpretation of how prayer changes the will of God.

I would suggest D.A. Carson's A Call to Spiritual Reformation instead. I know many Christian love this book, but I strongly prefer Carson's book instead.
Iris
Aug 10, 2012 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worthwhile
With Christ in the School of Prayer offers thirty-one powerful lessons on prayer.  After providing some basic instructions on prayer, Andrew Murray spends much of his time on God's promises to answer our prayers.  Rather than write-off unanswered prayers as outside of God's will, Murray challenges us to pray more, seeking both a relationship with God and an understanding of His will.
Mark
Sep 07, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal book on prayer by Presbyterian pastor and writer Andrew Murray. It is obvious that Murray does not just teach on prayer--he lives it! I was so stirred and encouraged as I read through this book. For any Christian wanting to grow in the place of prayer, this is a great place to start!
Brad
Apr 08, 2009 Brad rated it it was amazing
Audiobook. (Librivox audiobook available as a free and legal download at Librivox.org)
Joy C.
Jun 20, 2012 Joy C. rated it it was amazing
I will save a full review of this book to a later date, but this book has been very challenging to me, provocative and of a great spiritual blessing...
Jørgen Hansen
Mar 12, 2017 Jørgen Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How well we live determines how well we pray. Andrew Murray ushers the reader into a deeper relationship to Christ as the basis of prayer. Jesus never taught the disciples how to preach, but He taught them how to pray. As our spiritual union with Christ is deepened, so is our prayer life.
That God grant us the use of Jesus' name is a token of great confidence. When we pray in the name of Jesus, God stands aside and let us act for him. Praying in Jesus name, we deny ourselves and not only take up
Ethan
Mar 06, 2013 Ethan rated it it was amazing
There's a reason this book has endured. If there were such a thing as a "definitive work" on the subject of prayer, this might well be it.

Murray separates into 31 lessons/chapters (one a day for a month) all the teachings of the Lord Jesus in the gospels on the subject of prayer, beginning with and building off the disciple's request, "Lord! teach us to pray."

From there, and with every chapter, Murray takes the reader deeper and deeper into the mysteries of prayer while ever maintaining a strong
Kelsey
Jan 10, 2011 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This book had a big impact on my life when I read it over the course of a month. It is divided into thirty-one "lessons" that each select one statement Jesus made about prayer and consider how one can put His words into practice in one's own prayer life. Each lesson is about 6-8 pages long, with a short prayer at the end. Though the lessons are bite-sized, they are dense. I often thought: "I need to stop and think about that sentence." It's definitely thought-provoking, requiring me to slow down ...more
Ian
Mar 05, 2016 Ian rated it it was amazing
Murray guides the reader through the essence of prayer in 31 teachings. He presents the power of the fellowship between the Father, Son and Spirit and how each participate when we pray.

As with all of Murray's works there is a lot to chew on which is especially wonderful as I found I was mediating on aspects of his teachings long after reading them each day. However, I feel a need to go back and re-read this gem of a book to allow further impartation.

All of the teachings build upon the command "
Reid
What started out as a 'chapter per day' one-month read has turned into a month duty and fight to get through the book.

This 19th century South African pastor seems to really drag it out. Maybe each chapter was a sermon and the congregation had a hour to hear it and digest it.

Not easily readable 'in my book'.
In fact the best part of the book was the last part (5 short chapters) about the prayer experience of George Mueller of Bristol!

Some of the book gets into the power of faith or working up fait
Larry
Dec 12, 2015 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Understanding the power of prayer through the words of Jesus on this subject.
A balanced and realistic book which encourages the reader to take seriously the bold promises of scripture about prayer (example:

So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God. For assuredly,
I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast
into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those
things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I
say to you, wh
Jim George
Feb 12, 2012 Jim George rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The author continually repeats Lord teach us to pray; and chapter by chapter he gives us more and more insight on how to pray. We must have faith and hope in the Lord; we are to worship Him in spirit, truth, obedience, and in secret. We can ask in bold confidence and expect an answer. We are to remember our prayers are a dialogue with God, and not a monologue. We must make intercessory prayers for others. Our prayers are to be persevering, when the time is right we will reap abundantly, don't gi ...more
Linda
Jul 12, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
This is my third read of this book. Each time I gain something different, being in a different place, heart and mind. The version I used is old English, a difficult read. Plus it is a translation, I believe, as Murray was dutch. That being said, it is a worthwhile struggle; much is gained in the school of prayer. Murray knows prayer from much experience, that is clear. I almost felt at times, it is a wonder God hears and listens to any of my prayers. Murray puts the bar up that far. But the bar ...more
Dave Johnson
Jan 12, 2008 Dave Johnson rated it it was amazing
i really loved this book. toward the end, i think it started to slow, but, for the most part, i think this was a very good book on prayer. murray goes thru 31 points of prayer. there were so many great points, i underlined probably 40% of the book! it seemed like murray purposely tried to find 31 points, and toward the end, just put anything that he could think of. i think if he wrote 20-25 points on prayer it would be much better. i'm still giving it 5 stars for the sheer quotability of it. it ...more
Juanita Carter
I am taking this one chapter at a time, often stopping and praying as I read, I guess using it more as a devotional than just an informative book on prayer. It is great. I have really grown, even though not all the information was new for me. It has been great to not rush through it and to slowly let the truth in it to take a firm hold in my heart as I pray, contemplate, and turn to the Bible ro confirm the nuggets of truth I have discovered in this book. Stimulating! The Lord is faithful to gro ...more
Stephen Lake
Mar 26, 2016 Stephen Lake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich. Challenging. I've lingered with this book for a long while but I'm glad I did.

The reason I'm not giving 5 stars: I'm not entirely on board with some of Murray's underlying theology. While the emphasis on a holy life, united to Christ's, is essential and the crux of an effectual prayer life, the implications he draws--that if we, then, are so united we would know perfectly God's will and will, in effect, pray it into being--seems to overstate our efforts and potentially dangerous, open to m
Jon
Jan 06, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to go deeper in their prayer life
I found this so helpful I've read it twice. Murray takes various teachings of Jesus on prayer and connects them to prayer life in our modern world in a practical and profound way. It has the strengths and weaknesses of a classic book--well-tested by time, full of deep wisdom, but written in an older style which some people might find a little difficult to get into; however, Murray is very readable for someone of that era. I love the format of 31 short chapters--I read one per day and experienced ...more
Liz
Jul 06, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
With Christ in the School of Prayer is one of those books that never gets old, that you could read over and over again and still gain fresh insight with each read. Each chapter is a 5-6 page exhortation on different components of a vibrant prayer life - "The Faith that Takes (11)," "The Boldness of God's Friends (9)," etc. I flagged many, many pages to return to as I consider training folks in intercessory prayer. Practical, wise, and bloodearnest.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Wow, what an amazing book! This is not an easy read – but well worth the effort. It's rather like "My Utmost for His Highest" in that once you get past the arcane language, you find The richness of the work. In this case, the richness is the systematic identification and removal of all of our barriers to prayer, and then the simple, straightforward advice of Christ as our pattern as intercessor. I would highly recommend this book!
Renada Thompson
Jan 13, 2013 Renada Thompson rated it really liked it
A deceptively slim book. It took me several weeks to read it and digest the many sobering and encouraging passages. One of the most thought-provoking points concerned using the phrase "if it be your will" as a loophole to explain unanswered prayer. Murray contends that we should instead pray for things we KNOW are God's will, i.e., for Him to be glorified. A simple concept yet fundamentally challenging to most of my prayers. Plan to reread.
Jacki
Sep 02, 2013 Jacki rated it it was amazing
This year I have been focused on learning what it means to pray and how to pray. This book has been a huge part of that.

I love how Andrew Murray tackled the topic. He goes straight to the Bible. Each chapter (32 in all) is set up to be a daily devotional that focuses on a short scripture passage about prayer. However, between the archaic language and comes ideas, it took me a lot longer than a day to get through each chapter.
Jon
May 25, 2013 Jon rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book and excellent insights into prayer!
Found it included in the "Andrew Murray One-Year Devotional" book...which includes all 12 of his works meant for monthly readings.
Andrew Murray - Devotional Compilation

Also includes The Spirit of Christ, Abide in Christ and many others.
Murray's knowledge of Scripture, pastoral insight and sensitivity to the Spirit make his writings just as relevant today as when he first wrote them!
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Divided into 31 chapters that could be read as a monthly devotional, I found that I needed more time to read and digest each rich chapter. Part of that is due to the definitely 19th century style in which you sometimes feel he could be making his point in a lot fewer words, yet there are sections of each chapter that beg reflection over time. It's a book that can and should be reread and is transformational.
Ralph Calhoun
Sep 13, 2014 Ralph Calhoun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very good. I read one chapter a day as my daily devotional, plus would later answer questions in the study guide. I plan to re-read it as my devotional in a few months to further develop the teachings in my daily life. Even now as I pray by myself or in a group I listen to what is being said and how it is being said, and I find my self thinking more about my attitude towards prayer as I pray.
  • Power Through Prayer
  • Sit, Walk, Stand
  • A Call to Prayer
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • Ashamed of the Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World
  • Scribbling in the Sand
  • The Kneeling Christian (Clarion classics)
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Man, The Dwelling Place Of God
  • Let the Journey Begin: God's Roadmap for New Beginnings
  • Prayer Shield: How To Intercede for Pastors, Christian Leaders and Others On the Spiritual Frontlines
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
  • The Power Of Praying Together
  • Storm Warning
  • Shaping History Through Prayer and Fasting
  • The Body
  • Hard Sayings of Jesus
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. .

Murray was Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Murray became a noted missionary leader. His father was a Scottish Presbyterian serving the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and his mother had connections with both French Huguenots and German Lutherans. This background to some extent explains his ecumenical s
More about Andrew Murray...

“The Lord gave the wonderful promise of the free use of His Name with the Father in conjunction with doing His works. The disciple who lives only for Jesus' work and Kingdom, for His will and honor, will be given the power to appropriate the promise. Anyone grasping the promise only when he wants something very special for himself will be disappointed, because he is making Jesus the servant of his own comfort. But whoever wants to pray the effective prayer of faith because he needs it for the work of the Master will learn it, because he has made himself the servant of his Lord's interests.” 28 likes
“Our forgiving love toward men is the evidence of God's forgiving love in us. It is a necessary condition of the prayer of faith.” 22 likes