Start by marking “Abide in Christ” as Want to Read:
Abide in Christ

Abide in Christ

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,163 ratings  ·  59 reviews
So many Christians, instead of accepting God's invitation to enter His throne room, stand alone outside the door, uncertain and ashamed. Christ beckons them to His banqueting table and offers them a room in His house, but they foolishly give up the glory of the life He has offered. They come to Jesus as Redeemer but never go beyond the doorway to abide in Him and experienc ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Whitaker Distribution (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Abide in Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abide in Christ

Carol Hiestand
Jan 01, 2009 Carol Hiestand rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone desiring to grow in their Christian faith.
Recommended to Carol by: found it in my husband's library
I am currently readying this old book - from my husband's grandfather's library. I have read one of Andrew Murray's books before when my grandfather gave me one as a teenager. I am finding this old classic to be very thought -provoking and inspiring and reassuring as i continue on my spiritual journey.

the paragraphs are too long and the language is "old" but rich. each daily meditation is much too much for one day for me. i spend at least a week on each "day."
kristin
This book is so simple. "All that you can wish to know is perfectly clear to Him. He has access to the cousels of Diety, to the sectets of Providence, in your interest and on your behalf. If you will but trust Him fully, and abide in Him entirely, hyou can be confident of having unerring guidance." That's all I want really:)
Edie
Excellent book! Filled with practical nuggets of truth! Andrew Murray has a wonderful way of taking God's word, breaking it down and making it applicable. I can barely make it through one page without being convicted, admonished and encouraged! A wonderful companion to my bible reading.
Dan
I really enjoy Murray's intimate knowledge of the Lord, and his warm and devitional encouragement. This book helped me bask in the warmth of the joy of the Lord.
April
Jul 05, 2010 April is currently reading it
short chapters full of life-giving words that continually point me back dependence on God and His kindness and grace for me.
Jodi
My all-time favorite devotional. I read and re-read this book.
Larry
murray is one of my all time favorites; i love all his books
David
This is in my top five. Wonderful. Wonderful.
Teresa
Great devotional classic
Sonny
Andrew Murray’s “Abide in Christ” is a wonderful classic written in a devotional style, yet far more substantial than the typical devotional fare. This book is written for every believer who has struggled with sin and failed repeatedly, which probably is most of us; this is a struggle that can leave us discouraged and full of doubt. This book was written for every believer who has longed to have a closer relationship with God but isn’t quite sure how to achieve it. Through Murray’s book, the rea ...more
Stevie
A book to definitely read slowly

Poignant Quotes:

Our doing and working are but the fruit of Christ's work in us.

You can trust Him to keep you trusting and abiding.

Live your daily life in the full consciousness of being righteous in God's sight, an object of delight and pleasure in Christ. Holy in God has reference to His inmost being; righteous, to His dealings with His creatures.

Apply this to the promise of the text: "He that establishes us in Christ is God." As you now, at this moment, abandon
Adam Robinson
This is a fascinating read. Set out in 31 short chapters you can easily use this as a devotional to accompany daily Scripture readings. Murray walks us through the abide passages (John 15, et al)and talks both theologically and practically about how that plays out in life. Answering such questions as "How can I abide in Christ all day when I have to go to work?" Murray speaks with passion and depth on a topic that will take a lifetime to master. But Murray is a capable guide. I have read and rer ...more
Carissa
If you really want to grow closer to God, and long to abide in Him, this book is for you.

It is old fashioned in some ways, (Though the English is updated in this version, so the grammar is a little easier to read--but it still sounds different from how we write today.) but I think it is a good kind of old fashioned. You can tell that the author not only believes what he writes, he also lives it. While this book is encouraging, it is also challenging and convicting. I advise taking it slowly and
Ron
Outstanding set of short messages--almost perfect for daily devotions--on living in Christ. I don't know whether this is a modern collection of Murray's work, or one he made himself, but most of the selections are well focused and developed.

A very good read for the Christian seeking a closer walk with God.
Debby
This is a book I think all Christians should read at least once a year. It's written to be read devotionally in 30 daily readings. We are called to Come to Christ and Abide in Christ and yet I bet most of us aren't really sure what it means to abide or how it is accomplished. I found this book to be very insightful and practical. I look forward to reading this book again and again and gaining something new each time!
Tal
It took me a while to figure out the writing style and how to read this book, so it took me a while to get through it. It was a really good book though. I really like how the emphasis was not on works, but on the God-enable ability to abide in Christ. It really had some great nuggets in it about how all parts of our lives should grow out of that restful relationship of Christ and His bride. Great stuff!
Shiloh
This book had a lot of meat in it, so i read it more like a daily devotional than a book. Murray writes about such foundational, but often over looked, elements in our relationship with the Lord. His passion and intimacy is evident and I think this book is a tremendous resource for those who want to live in the fullness of their walk with God.
Joshua Smith
Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray helped to open my eyes to the fact that you do not have to be a “super saint” or a monk to be partakers of the divine nature. The call “Abide in Me” comes to all who received the “Follow Me” request. Jesus does the calling and it is in His power that I am able to follow and abide
Rachel
I know I will return to this book often in the years to come.
I have savored it, wrestled with it, and prayed over it- and still do.

I feel like Andrew Murray is one of my mentors- I admire his faith in God and was often challenged and convicted through these devotional readings. Highly recommend.
Natalie Moore Goodison
A 31 day series to abiding in Christ. Each day's reading is four or five pages, focuses on one thought. In such a short space the depth of that material is quite astounding. Almost too much to "get-it" all at once, so definitely worth a re-read in the next year. I recommend it.
Elise
Wow. This book gives such richness and deepened meaning to the metaphor of Christ as the vine, we as the branches. I am overwhelmed with the truth and goodness of God, and have been given such hope that this abundant life is possible.
Annie
Found this as a pdf online, but it only has 97 pages, whereas there are over 200 pages in this version. Not sure if I got the "abridged" version, but I'm really enjoying this book.
Lee Nienhuis
This book was life changing to me. I read it at the direction of a wise couple when I first came to faith. Please read this book and savor the invitation to abide.
Linda
Andrew Murray is an awesome writer, who had an awesome relationship with God. His writing emanates this faith, drawing the reader to the God he knew so well.
Gary Webb
A great little book that teaches the meaning and message of Abiding in Christ as the essential element in having an intimate relationship with Himm
JR, Mom, Nana
Nov 01, 2007 JR, Mom, Nana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Reread it again and again, it is a great joy in learning to abide in Christ, living in His presense and how He can keep us there.
Peter Vincent
What can I say about this book? It was soul food to me! Truly a classic.
Emily
This is a gem -- a new favorite. 31 days of Truth to wash over the reader.
Kay Alford
Excellent book. I would rank it as one of the best books I've read.
  • Sit, Walk, Stand (Repkg)
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love
  • Future Grace
  • Come Away My Beloved Updated
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. .

Murray was Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Murray became a noted missionary leader. His father was a Scottish Presbyterian serving the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and his mother had connections with both French Huguenots and German Lutherans. This background to some extent explains his ecumenical s
More about Andrew Murray...
Humility Absolute Surrender Lord, Teach Us To Pray With Christ in the School of Prayer Waiting on God

“It is only into the thirst of an empty soul that the streams of living waters flow. Ever thirsting is the secret of never thirsting.” 1 likes
“The parable teaches us the nature of that union. The connection between the vine and the branch is a living one. No external, temporary union will suffice; no work of man can effect it: the branch, whether an original or an engrafted one, is such only by the Creator's own work, in virtue of which the life, the sap, the fatness, and the fruitfulness of the vine communicate themselves to the branch. And just so it is with the believer too. His union with his Lord is no work of human wisdom or human will, but an act of God, by which the closest and most complete life-union is effected between the Son of God and the sinner. "God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts." The same Spirit which dwelt and still dwells in the Son, becomes the life of the believer; in the unity of that one Spirit, and the fellowship of the same life which is in Christ, he is one with Him. As between the vine and branch, it is a life-union that makes them one.” 1 likes