Start by marking “Abide in Christ” as Want to Read:
Abide in Christ

Abide in Christ

4.46  ·  Rating Details ·  1,545 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
So many Christians, instead of accepting God's invitation to enter His throne room, stand alone outside the door, uncertain and ashamed. Christ beckons them to His banqueting table and offers them a room in His house, but they foolishly give up the glory of the life He has offered. They come to Jesus as Redeemer but never go beyond the doorway to abide in Him and experienc ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Whitaker Distribution (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Abide in Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abide in Christ

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThe Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Books (Besides the Bible) Recommended for Christian Readers
191st out of 3,263 books — 2,853 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisDesiring God by John PiperSimply Revelation by T.R. EstepKnowing God by J.I. PackerChosen By God by R.C. Sproul
Top Theology
35th out of 174 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Robinson
Mar 30, 2016 Adam Robinson rated it it was amazing
Update: Still the best devotional I've ever read. 4th time through ans still amazing.Read this book!!

This is a fascinating read. Set out in 31 short chapters you can easily use this as a devotional to accompany daily Scripture readings. Murray walks us through the abide passages (John 15, et al)and talks both theologically and practically about how that plays out in life. Answering such questions as "How can I abide in Christ all day when I have to go to work?" Murray speaks with passion and dep
Carol Hiestand
Jan 01, 2009 Carol Hiestand rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone desiring to grow in their Christian faith.
Recommended to Carol by: found it in my husband's library
I am currently readying this old book - from my husband's grandfather's library. I have read one of Andrew Murray's books before when my grandfather gave me one as a teenager. I am finding this old classic to be very thought -provoking and inspiring and reassuring as i continue on my spiritual journey.

the paragraphs are too long and the language is "old" but rich. each daily meditation is much too much for one day for me. i spend at least a week on each "day."
Ian
Nov 04, 2015 Ian rated it it was amazing
Abiding in Christ has always been a challenging notion for me. How do you actually live it, daily? Well this 31 day devotional from Murray goes a long way to being able to guide the reader on how to do it.

This is a meaty read as any one who knows Murray's work knows. However, it is so worth soaking in it. I'm certain I'll find new rich nuggets of wisdom each additional time I read it.

Each devotion is 4-5 pages long and is based on verse that can be associated with "abiding".

I've found it has ch
kristin
Jan 20, 2009 kristin rated it it was amazing
This book is so simple. "All that you can wish to know is perfectly clear to Him. He has access to the cousels of Diety, to the sectets of Providence, in your interest and on your behalf. If you will but trust Him fully, and abide in Him entirely, hyou can be confident of having unerring guidance." That's all I want really:)
Edie
Feb 02, 2011 Edie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Filled with practical nuggets of truth! Andrew Murray has a wonderful way of taking God's word, breaking it down and making it applicable. I can barely make it through one page without being convicted, admonished and encouraged! A wonderful companion to my bible reading.
Nick
Sep 22, 2016 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living, own
Three stars does not reflect the quality of this book but merely my connection to it. Murray says many very good things on the subject of abiding in Christ, but I just had difficultly getting into this book for some reason. Maybe it was a timing issue.
Dan
Dec 17, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Murray's intimate knowledge of the Lord, and his warm and devitional encouragement. This book helped me bask in the warmth of the joy of the Lord.
Darnell
Sep 29, 2016 Darnell rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for a fresh perspective on how to grow closer to God after you decide to follow Jesus? Are you thinking, "There must be more to the life with Jesus than this?" Then I highly recommend this book!

The key message is, submit to Christ, fully, and he will show you how to do it.

The book was originally written by a South African pastor in 1882 who wrote a lot about connecting with God. It is made up of 31 days, about 10 min per day of reading and then as much reflection time as you need
April
Jul 05, 2010 April is currently reading it
short chapters full of life-giving words that continually point me back dependence on God and His kindness and grace for me.
Jodi
May 17, 2011 Jodi rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite devotional. I read and re-read this book.
Larry
Jul 24, 2008 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
murray is one of my all time favorites; i love all his books
David
Mar 13, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
This is in my top five. Wonderful. Wonderful.
Teresa
Apr 22, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Great devotional classic
Leila McGrath
Apr 25, 2016 Leila McGrath rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Sonny
Sep 11, 2012 Sonny rated it it was amazing
Andrew Murray’s “Abide in Christ” is a wonderful classic written in a devotional style, yet far more substantial than the typical devotional fare. This book is written for every believer who has struggled with sin and failed repeatedly, which probably is most of us; this is a struggle that can leave us discouraged and full of doubt. This book was written for every believer who has longed to have a closer relationship with God but isn’t quite sure how to achieve it. Through Murray’s book, the rea ...more
Stevie
Jul 30, 2008 Stevie rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-kog
A book to definitely read slowly

Poignant Quotes:

Our doing and working are but the fruit of Christ's work in us.

You can trust Him to keep you trusting and abiding.

Live your daily life in the full consciousness of being righteous in God's sight, an object of delight and pleasure in Christ. Holy in God has reference to His inmost being; righteous, to His dealings with His creatures.

Apply this to the promise of the text: "He that establishes us in Christ is God." As you now, at this moment, abandon
Carissa
Apr 11, 2013 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity, 2013
If you really want to grow closer to God, and long to abide in Him, this book is for you.

It is old fashioned in some ways, (Though the English is updated in this version, so the grammar is a little easier to read--but it still sounds different from how we write today.) but I think it is a good kind of old fashioned. You can tell that the author not only believes what he writes, he also lives it. While this book is encouraging, it is also challenging and convicting. I advise taking it slowly and
Ron
Jun 08, 2014 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian_life
Outstanding set of short messages--almost perfect for daily devotions--on living in Christ. I don't know whether this is a modern collection of Murray's work, or one he made himself, but most of the selections are well focused and developed.

A very good read for the Christian seeking a closer walk with God.
Rebekah Schrepfer
Jun 01, 2016 Rebekah Schrepfer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read more book reviews at MostlySensible.com.

This is a must read for every Christian. Andrew Murray’s classic book is written to the believer who finds it difficult to live a holy Christian life. Murray had a great burden to bring along new Christians and help them to grow spiritually. So he walks the reader through that great passage of John 15, the Vine and the Branches. There are 31 chapters so it can be read in one month at a chapter per day. I read it in connection with my daily devotions.
Debby
Oct 19, 2010 Debby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I think all Christians should read at least once a year. It's written to be read devotionally in 30 daily readings. We are called to Come to Christ and Abide in Christ and yet I bet most of us aren't really sure what it means to abide or how it is accomplished. I found this book to be very insightful and practical. I look forward to reading this book again and again and gaining something new each time!
Tal
Jan 23, 2011 Tal rated it really liked it
It took me a while to figure out the writing style and how to read this book, so it took me a while to get through it. It was a really good book though. I really like how the emphasis was not on works, but on the God-enable ability to abide in Christ. It really had some great nuggets in it about how all parts of our lives should grow out of that restful relationship of Christ and His bride. Great stuff!
Shiloh
Sep 17, 2012 Shiloh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2012
This book had a lot of meat in it, so i read it more like a daily devotional than a book. Murray writes about such foundational, but often over looked, elements in our relationship with the Lord. His passion and intimacy is evident and I think this book is a tremendous resource for those who want to live in the fullness of their walk with God.
Joshua Smith
Aug 14, 2010 Joshua Smith rated it it was amazing
Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray helped to open my eyes to the fact that you do not have to be a “super saint” or a monk to be partakers of the divine nature. The call “Abide in Me” comes to all who received the “Follow Me” request. Jesus does the calling and it is in His power that I am able to follow and abide
Rachel
Aug 04, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I know I will return to this book often in the years to come.
I have savored it, wrestled with it, and prayed over it- and still do.

I feel like Andrew Murray is one of my mentors- I admire his faith in God and was often challenged and convicted through these devotional readings. Highly recommend.
Natalie Moore Goodison
Aug 16, 2012 Natalie Moore Goodison rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, 2012
A 31 day series to abiding in Christ. Each day's reading is four or five pages, focuses on one thought. In such a short space the depth of that material is quite astounding. Almost too much to "get-it" all at once, so definitely worth a re-read in the next year. I recommend it.
Elise
Dec 22, 2012 Elise rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book gives such richness and deepened meaning to the metaphor of Christ as the vine, we as the branches. I am overwhelmed with the truth and goodness of God, and have been given such hope that this abundant life is possible.
Margaret
I always enjoy books by Andrew Murray, I enjoyed the first half more than the latter part. There were many sections of the book that really touched me but then there were many dry parts. Still worth the read though.
Annie
Found this as a pdf online, but it only has 97 pages, whereas there are over 200 pages in this version. Not sure if I got the "abridged" version, but I'm really enjoying this book.
Lee Nienhuis
Dec 31, 2012 Lee Nienhuis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faithwalk
This book was life changing to me. I read it at the direction of a wise couple when I first came to faith. Please read this book and savor the invitation to abide.
Linda
Jun 25, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Andrew Murray is an awesome writer, who had an awesome relationship with God. His writing emanates this faith, drawing the reader to the God he knew so well.
  • Sit, Walk, Stand
  • Hearing God's Voice
  • Power Through Prayer
  • Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ
  • The Kneeling Christian
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. .

Murray was Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Murray became a noted missionary leader. His father was a Scottish Presbyterian serving the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and his mother had connections with both French Huguenots and German Lutherans. This background to some extent explains his ecumenical s
More about Andrew Murray...

“The Christian often tries to forget his weakness; God wants us to remember it, to feel it deeply. The Christian wants to conquer his weakness and to be freed from it; God wants us to rest and even rejoice in it. The Christian mourns over his weakness; Christ teaches His servant to say, 'I take pleasure in infirmities. Most gladly ...will I...glory in my infirmities' (2 Cor. 12:9)' The Christian thinks his weaknesses are his greatest hindrance in the life and service of God; God tells us that it is the secret of strength and success. It is our weakness, heartily accepted and continually realized, that gives our claim and access to the strength of Him who has said, 'My strength is made perfect in weakness” 3 likes
“The parable teaches us the nature of that union. The connection between the vine and the branch is a living one. No external, temporary union will suffice; no work of man can effect it: the branch, whether an original or an engrafted one, is such only by the Creator's own work, in virtue of which the life, the sap, the fatness, and the fruitfulness of the vine communicate themselves to the branch. And just so it is with the believer too. His union with his Lord is no work of human wisdom or human will, but an act of God, by which the closest and most complete life-union is effected between the Son of God and the sinner. "God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts." The same Spirit which dwelt and still dwells in the Son, becomes the life of the believer; in the unity of that one Spirit, and the fellowship of the same life which is in Christ, he is one with Him. As between the vine and branch, it is a life-union that makes them one.” 2 likes