Start by marking “Roadtrip Nation: A Guide to Discovering Your Path in Life” as Want to Read:
Roadtrip Nation: A Guide to Discovering Your Path in Life

Roadtrip Nation: A Guide to Discovering Your Path in Life

SO WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH YOUR LIFE?

“You should be a lawyer, a doctor, an accountant, a consultant, blah, blah, blah. Everywhere you turn people try to tell you who to be and what to do with your life. We call that the noise. Block it. Shed it. Leave it for the conformists. As a generation, we need to get back to focusing on individuality. Self-construction rather th
Published August 22nd 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Roadtrip Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roadtrip Nation

Linda
May 07, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this has been a great book. It's a little "get fired up!"-y, but mainly it's just a collection of successful people with nontraditional careers and I like to hear what they have to say. This is a great book for anyone who needs reasurrance that following an atypical path can lead to results, or anyone who is looking to change their career.
Kristina
Jul 31, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: recent college grads
This book was entirely inspirational for me at a point where I had moved to a new city, couldn't find a job and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Not that it gave me an answer, but it inspired me to get out there and learn about the many different paths people can take to get where they are. A must-read for any recent college grad, or anyone who's in a career slump.
Zhenwei Chan
May 01, 2007 Zhenwei Chan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rekindling ur passion
For those who'd lost their way in this cold, harsh city jungle, this book will rekindle your passion and help you stay true to your dream. of course, not all of us are that fortunate to have a dream to begin with; many are just living our lives aimlessly amid dire existential angst. All our lives we'd worked hard, studied hard, done the stuffs our society, our parents, our peers deem right and respectful. And yet, we still feel hollow at heart, as if we'd merely live out the lives and hopes of ...more
Maura
Jan 24, 2012 Maura rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Two guys just out of college without a real clue about what they want to do next drive around the country in a big ol' RV and interview people with cool-sounding jobs to find out how they ended up with said jobs.

I (of course) was hoping i might get inspiration for my own career path. and while none of the jobs described particularly excite me, there may yet be flashes of inspiration if i ponder them a little more. which i plan to do. mainly there seemed to be a lot of advice to follow your passi
Hannah
Mar 28, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it
Very encouraging and inspiring, however, I hoped for less interviews and more tips for the confused and scared college student (like myself). I guess what I'm saying is the interviews were nice, but I wanted a more intimate tone (like they began to give and ended with) from the authors, not just a series of how these people have succeeded in their lives.

Having said that, I definitely love these guys for having done this. And perfect timing! I'm going through career choice fears right now and it
Jac
Two surf bums from a Southern California university set off to interview successful people with a wide variety of career paths, in the interest of exposing themselves to jobs they haven't considered.

Each of the interviews is summarized in 2-3 pages, so you don't learn too much about the details, and most of the subjects are male corporate executives, but it's still interesting exposure to fields that the average person may not be aware of, and some comforting tales that going a non-traditional o
David
Apr 23, 2008 David added it
Inspirational entrepreneurial stories: While promoted as a guide for college graduates, this book is truly an entrepreneurial bible for every age. Rather than delivering stale status reports from founders of companies like Barnes & Noble, Starbucks and Dell, you'll learn what drove these visionaries to buck the system, overcome objections, and follow their passions. For anyone who has ever woken up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night and thought "what the heck am I doing with my ...more
Becky Straub
Jan 22, 2015 Becky Straub rated it really liked it
Besides being quite inspirational, this book also helped to distract me during the rough times on our disastrous rv trip. It's a series of interviews with a huge variety of individuals. They are each asked to describe their own "road trip" towards where they are now. For me it was a great reminder that I can accomplish anything at any age if I just pay attention to the road of life and learn at every stop.
Danielle
Nov 15, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
Very inspiring - makes you think differently about your own life and your career path. I was very intrigued by the stories of top CEOs and founders of companies like Dell, Cliff bars, Nantucket Nectars, and Nike to learn the path they took to get to where they are today. Makes you believe in dreaming big and focusing on what you are passionate about - and having the faith that the money will follow.
Ms. Cross
Dec 01, 2011 Ms. Cross rated it it was amazing
This book is so easy to read because the chapters are short and each one focuses on a different person. I read this right after college, when I wasn't sure about what I was going to do with myself. Hearing other people's stories not only inspired me, but made me feel like I was normal for not knowing exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Plus, it's a fun read and the characters are extremely likeable.
Karen
Sep 30, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
I found the documentary series on PBS late one Saturday night and became intrigued. College students trying to figure out their futures by interviewing successful busines folks. Amazing. The dude from Cartoon Network is my kindred spirit. If you drive past a crew digging a ditch and think you would rather do that than go to work, then it's time for a new job.
Laura Pasquini
Jun 09, 2012 Laura Pasquini rated it really liked it
Great book - currently using this for a First Year Seminar curriculum and student group projects to learn more about major and career options. Great examples and videos linking to topics for my students in media, journalism and business, and great "how to" go about interviewing and connecting with professionals at the end of the book.
Amanda
Mar 15, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Inspiring(!) is the word that comes to mind! Made me want to run right out and conquer the world! The title's a little misleading and it's certainly not high caliber writing, but what it lacks in structure it more than makes up for in motivation. Hell, it's simplicity is what makes it so honestly accessable to everyone!
Graham
Aug 18, 2009 Graham rated it did not like it
Good topic, good information, stupidly repetitive. 75% of the book is famous people saying not to get tied down early and to do what you want to do, the money will follow. Great. It felt good to read the first 10 people saying it, the next 10 not so much.
Ideen Solhtalab
Apr 10, 2012 Ideen Solhtalab rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for people who refuse to lead cookie-cutter lives; and instead, want to pave their own unconventional path. Chock full of motivating inspiration and practical information, which is presented in 100 or so profiles/interviews of some amazing, pioneering people.
Charlie Miksicek
Nov 18, 2015 Charlie Miksicek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The book is great. The PBS series and website are even better. A must for every Career Counselor or Life Coach.
Jen
Jan 26, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Wow, how did these people get such cool jobs? Book details the journeys of people who broke into lucrative work and became well known after personal introspection and extreme moxie
Amanda Nan Dillon
Aug 12, 2013 Amanda Nan Dillon rated it liked it
I think if I had read this during college, or had known about the documentary and blog, it would've resonated deeper with me than it did.
Tricia
Oct 20, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful, inspiring book I've ever read. Anyone in the job search needs to read this book!
Mike Archibald
Mike Archibald rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2012
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2008
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2011
Charlie
Charlie rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2013
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Joseph Doss
Joseph Doss rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Jacki
Jacki rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2008
Natalia
Natalia rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2007
Lydia Anderson
Lydia Anderson rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Your Best Year Yet!: Ten Questions for Making the Next Twelve Months Your Most Successful Ever
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • The Trophy Kids Grow Up: How the Millennial Generation Is Shaking Up the Workplace
  • Geeks and Geezers: How Era, Values and Defining Moments Shape Leaders
  • Winning Marriage: The Inside Story of How Same-Sex Couples Took on the Politicians and Pundits--And Won
  • The Thomas Paine Reader
  • 501 Must-Visit Natural Wonders
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
  • Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers
  • A History of Western Philosophy, Volume 1: The Classical Mind
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy