Start by marking “Growing up on the Chocolate Diet” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Growing up on the Choc...

Lora Brody

Growing up on the Chocolate Diet

Lora Brody's droll combination of cookbook and remembered experience reveals the delightful story of how a chocomaniac turned her consuming passion into a successful career.
Published October 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Growing up on the Chocolate Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing up on the Chocolate Diet

Bonnie
Dec 21, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I had picked this book off the shelf of my eccentric Spanish Immersion teacher's library of weird-books-to-have-in-a-sixth-grade-class. I believe it was her first year teaching something other than kindergarten and she wasn't quite sure about what 11 and 12 year olds were reading. I must have just flipped through it all those years ago after whizzing through a test because as I read through it this time around, there were only two specific parts that I remember: Brody's trip to France and all th ...more
Danica
Jul 05, 2013 Danica rated it did not like it
Pretentious & boring. The writer tries very hard to be self-depreciating but it seems forced and not funny at all when she is trying to be. Perhaps it's due to the condescending tone of much of the book (ex. "Yes, these desserts are expensive to make. If you can't justify the expense, then satisfy yourself with reading the recipe and eating a bowl of cornflakes." )

I actually found her snooty retelling of how a reader dared to question a recipe of hers more amusing than any of her 'catering h
Devan
Apr 03, 2012 Devan rated it it was amazing
Fun read, amazing recipes. There isn't much more to say other than I want to meet this woman more than I want to meet George Clooney. She had me laughing, reading her different stories out loud to my not such a book loving boyfriend, and salivating over her amazing recipes. My favorite story was the one involving the Trianon cake, and I can tell you, that cake is amazing. The cake itself leaves much to be desired for it is not frosted and to be quite honest, it's ugly. I do promise you that if y ...more
Okvegascowgirl
Jul 02, 2007 Okvegascowgirl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies
This was the first truly "foodie" book I ever read, and I was surprised to find it didn't deal exclusively with chocolate! Instead, it is a lovely combo memoir/cookbook that I have re-read countless times. From Ms. Brody's childhood experiences that were indelibly stamped by food memories to her utter cluelessness about entering the food industry, her ability to paint a clear life portrait framed by food is unparalled (except perhaps by the late Laurie Colwin.)
Kathy Kattenburg
Jun 23, 2012 Kathy Kattenburg rated it it was amazing
This is much more than a cookbook. It's also a memoir of the author's growing up in a Jewish family (despite the Irish-sounding name), and loving chocolate, and books, and boys, and a whole bunch of stuff. It's really well-written, engaging, and just charming. I loved it. Among my hundreds of books, I only have a few that I would not consider parting with, and Growing Up on the Chocolate Diet is one of them.
Emily
Aug 14, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies-etc
As a book, it contains vaguely amusing vignettes which I imagine might have come across better recounted during a dinner party. Honestly though, I was spoiled by the first two of Ruth Reichel's memoirs as I feel she did a lot more with the format. Some solid advice about the catering business (i.e. don't enter it if you want a normal life). Can't wait to try the recipes.
Jmlc
This is the cookbook that went to Israel with me. I have made so many things out of it and all were delicious. In addition, my copy has a handwritten note from the author to my grandmother. I eventually emailed the author and got a nice response back about how great my grandmother was. This book makes me feel a bit closer to her when I'm lonely.
Cynthia
Mar 07, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first food memoirs I ever read. It is laugh out loud funny. Laura Brody has gone on to write many other books, mostly cookbooks, but as far as I am concerned this is her all time best. The recipe for Bete Noir is superlative.
Lisa
Mar 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves chocolate
Recommended to Lisa by: a friend
Lora Brody's humorous memoir with recipes makes for good reading and delicious eating — especially if you love chocolate. Her recipe for Bete Noir is one of my standbys for when I need a stunning and tasty dessert.
Avis Black
Mar 12, 2008 Avis Black rated it really liked it
Shelves: desserts, 4-stars
Her best book by far. Brody is just hysterical in this memoir, and yes, she is the sort of person who would go prancing down the street in a gorilla suit to cure her shyness.
Jodi
Feb 10, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it
A great memoir about chocolate and her journey to be a chocolate consultant. great recipes!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Allison Anderson
Allison Anderson rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Gu
Gu rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Adam Dunnells
Adam Dunnells marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Serena
Serena rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Andrew Brisman
Andrew Brisman marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Chris Shieh
Chris Shieh marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Jennifer Walker
Jennifer Walker rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Lime
Lime marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Randal
Randal rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Jason
Jason added it
May 15, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012