Start by marking “Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way” as Want to Read:
Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way

Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way

From the nationally bestselling author of Jane Brody's Nutrition Book comes "the ultimate, reabable, understandable, practical, and useful book on how to live sensibly and well . . . a primer on the new nutrition and weight control" (Craig Claiborne). Contains over 350 recipes.
Published January 1st 1987 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Brody's Good Food Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Brody's Good Food Book

Mira
Sep 15, 2011 Mira rated it really liked it
I really, really like to read cookbooks and this is an old favorite. I had a paperback copy which fell apart after years of abuse, and I recently found a hardcover at my library used book sale. All the carbohydrate-phobics should note that the author's emphasis is on low sugar, whole grains, and vegetables. The soup recipes are excellent and easy to prepare, although cooking time is too long to make for dinner after a long day at work. Her lentil and rice soup, vegetable soup with pistou, and al ...more
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
Aug 08, 2012 Sharon Eudy Neufeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Although somewhat overtaken by newer research, this cookbook is helpful in providing low-fat complex carb recipes. I am currently on my 3rd copy! Not a foolproof cookbook. Some recipes, when followed to the letter, are simply unacceptable. But the good ones make it all worth while. I won a chili cookoff with the "Vegetable chili" just tweaking up the seasoning. The Beef Lo Mein is divine (though I double the sauce). The "french" salad dressing is yogurt based and makes a fabulous vegetable dip. ...more
Margie
Apr 20, 2009 Margie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: food
Some really, really good recipes. I used to give this as my favorite wedding shower gift. When my copy started falling apart, I took it to Kinko's and had them spiral-bind it with a protective cover, because it's worth hanging on to.
I've found that my body is much happier on a high protein diet, but just because it doesn't work well for me doesn't mean that the high carb premise won't work well for others. Worth checking out.
My favorite recipes: sesame noodles, and split pea soup with dill.
Genevieve Grady
Apr 20, 2008 Genevieve Grady rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
Well researched, thought, and presented text on food with many useful recipes. A strong focus on vegetarian fare with real taste and an ease in presentation. Refershingly realistic.
Fishface
Jan 30, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, how-to
Always good to leaf through, full of good recipes based on sensible, healthy eating principles. Includes not only hundreds of good recipes you can easily adapt to your specific tastes, but easy-to-follow instructions on stocking your pantry and equipping your kitchen, as well as step-by-step guides to cutting up a bird, cleaning fish, etc. This is not a cookbook that insists you buy all kinds of expensive gadgets or invest in hair-raisingly expensive goat cheese from the Arctic Circle; it's mean ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
The subtitle is "Living the High-Carbohydrate Way" which is out of fashion at the moment. But these are healthy carbs--with the emphasis on whole grains and vegetables. And it's one of my favorite cookbooks for how it introduces different grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruits, complete with illustrations.

And there are many, many delicious recipes that are favorites within the book. Hummus, Cream of Cauliflower Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Peanut Butter-Vegetable Chicken Soup, Mexic
Mary Ker
Feb 06, 2015 Mary Ker rated it it was amazing
I have never tried a recipe from this book that I did not absolutely love. Brody finds a way to trim fat and unnecessary calories from recipes and they still are luxuriously delicious. Her take on cholesterol is now dated, but the recipes are still healthy and totally yummy.
Jun 05, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Obviously this was written prior to the recent Atkins craze. Nonetheless, Brody provides sound nutritional advice and simple changes to living a healthier lifestyle. Brody does not advocate anything radical, she encourages readers to cut back on sugar, increase the fiber, add more fruits and veggies; all the stuff we all have heard countless times. Her recipes are stellar; yummy soups, pastas, muffins, etc.
Rebecca Dale
Apr 05, 2013 Rebecca Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: she-cooks
Totally stole this from Mom a million years ago. Don't let the outdated nutritional info throw you off. There are some really good, relatively simple main courses in here, particularly chicken dishes. Honorable mentions should include: 40 Clove Garlic Chicken, Lemon Chicken with Bulgur, Greek Chicken with Cheese and Chicken Cacciatore with Noodles.
Janice
Mar 14, 2009 Janice rated it really liked it
I've had this cookbook since it first came out in '87 and it's my most-used cookbook of all time. Lots of family favorites here, and Jane's nutritional common sense holds up well. (By "high-carbohydrate," btw, she means complex carbs, so you can make these recipes without guilt or shame...)
Dixie
Sep 09, 2008 Dixie rated it really liked it
I have had this book for many years and I go back to it again and again - admittedly usually to the same recipes, but then I'm not the most adventurous eater (or shopper, or cook). Probably my favorite cookbook, full of "old reliables."
Andrea
Feb 19, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
I use this cookbook ALL the time - my son's all-time fav zucchini bread recipe is in this book - among others. It's great to see that all the nutrition talk out there as come back to sensible food choices, including good-for-you carbs!
Tamara
Apr 27, 2015 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-general
My copy is falling apart. The spin has split, the cover's ripped and I can't part with it. Some of my most-used recipes come from this book -- especially the soups.
Laurie
Mar 03, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I have had this cookbook for years, and will never get rid of it. It weathers all the nutrition fads with timeless, common sense advice and recipes.
Emily
Feb 03, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Who better to recommend bread recipes than someone who advocates living the high-carbohydrate way?

Thanks for introducing me, Emily.
Cathy Wunder
Jun 26, 2012 Cathy Wunder rated it it was amazing
Many good recipes That I use that are healthy. She has sections on how to cook different foods and nutrition info amount them. Love it!
Karen
Nov 02, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
If I had world enough and time, I'd cook like Jane every day! Whole grains, legumes, beans. Crunchy whole foods yumminess.
Anne
May 14, 2007 Anne rated it it was amazing
You have to make the basic pancakes and the zucchini bread. They're a staple for me...
Lisa
Jul 07, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Healthy eating that still tastes good.
Ellen Marchessault
Aug 07, 2016 Ellen Marchessault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
My go-to cook book.
Colleen
Jan 24, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing
BEST COOKBOOK EVER
steppeppp pz
steppeppp pz rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Teresa masters
Teresa masters rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Karen Morgenstein
Karen Morgenstein rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Mary Bishop
Mary Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Donna Altshuler
Donna Altshuler rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Ramona
Ramona rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, rev
  • The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook
  • The Book of Tofu
  • American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook: Delicious Recipes to Help Lower Your Cholesterol
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Cooking under Pressure
  • The Savory Way
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The Vegan Sourcebook
  • Better Than Vegan: 101 Favorite Low-Fat, Plant-Based Recipes That Helped Me Lose Over 200 Pounds
  • Whole Foods for the Whole Family: La Leche League International Cookbook
  • Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
Jane Ellen Brody writes a weekly column on personal health for the New York Times.
More about Jane E. Brody...