A Writer's Reference

A Writer's Reference

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A Writer�s Reference is the most widely adopted college handbook ever published. The new edition is available in a classic version that provides more help with academic writing, serves a wider range of multilingual students, and lends more support for college research � all in an easy-to-use quick-reference format. Now for all the ways you teach your course, you can
Published October 2nd 2002 by Bedford/St Martins (first published 1989)

Marcy Winograd
This is the English teacher's bible. Thank you, Diana!
Gabrielle
Without Hacker, I wouldn't have made it through college!
Jeffrey
These reference books are all pretty much the same. I've seen dozens (publishers always send professors text books in hopes they'll adopt them for their classes) and they're all pretty much the same. Major points of difference are completness and ease of use. This is a good one for that. Besides, Hacker is a classic.
Jeffrey
Like I said, they're all pretty much the same. But, once again, if you don't know most of this stuff . . . do. Especailly if you're a writer. But even readers can increase their comprehension, vocabulary / diction, etc. Good standard stuff to have lying around the house. Get it.
James Stripes
Solid and informative. My choice to recommend to students.
Heather
I've had Ms. Hacker's book for over 10 years (an earlier edition) and I absolutely love it! Well organized and extremely helpful...it has saved my rear on countless occasions. It occupies a prominent spot in my book shelves.
Charmless
Aug 04, 2008 Charmless rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone who reads and writes in English.
Recommended to Charmless by: A professor from college
This has been my grammar bible since college. (Well, the one I had in college, in the early to mid '90s, was a much older edition.) Hacker's product is a very user-friendly reference book.
Wednesday Green
Not terrible as reference guides go, more helpful information on writing and organization than most. I remember the old New Style manual we used to use that was crap. This blows that book away.
Heather
Great information on writing and research standards. I gave it a '3' solely because I feel it would be better as an ebook, PDF or online resource to allow for quick & easy searching.
Jonathan
This book is an English major's best friend. On every paper that I have done I have had to consult this book at some point or another. It is a permanent fixture on my bookshelf.
John Wick
A very excellent reference book for anyone who wants to know how to write using formal styles correctly. APA, Chicago, MLA, CMS, etc. This is my little writers bible for school.
Sara
Very comprehensive look at grammar, mechanics, usage, and style. The corresponding textbook website exercises were very helpful to drive home the material.
Jim
Not as good as Strunk & White's book, but a good reference, anyway. More up to date on some stuff that I rarely use, like business headers & such.
jacky
This is a second handbook that I was required to get a different year of college. I use this when I need a source different from Little, Brown.
Kay Sterner
I've had this book since college, even took it with me when I studied abroad for two years, and I still find a constant use for it.
Fatima Mahdi
This book is helpful to whoever has something to write about from academic essays to personal essays.
Jessica
Hacker writes a strong writer's reference here. This was my preferred text while teaching.
James
There's a reason this is required for students coming into University.
Letitia
Fabulous. Clear, concise, easiest way to do MLA I've ever found.
Kristina Leonard
Still my favorite writing manual. Love the latest update.
Phillip Ryan
Phillip Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
  • Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, Ninth Edition
  • A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians (Writer's Guides to Everyday Life)
  • The Elements of Editing
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
Rules for Writers The Bedford Handbook A Pocket Style Manual A Canadian Writer's Reference A Writer's Reference with Writing about Literature