Start by marking “Confucius: The Golden Rule” as Want to Read:
Confucius: The Golden Rule

Confucius: The Golden Rule

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
America's premier biographer for young people illuminates the remarkable life and far-reaching influence of the famous Chinese philosopher.

Born in China in 551 B. C., Confucius rose from poverty to the heights of his country's ruling class. But then he quit his high post for the life of an itinerant philosopher. "The Analects" collects his teachings on education and govern
Published September 1st 2002 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Confucius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confucius

Jay
May 30, 2009 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I thought that this book did a good job of presenting an overview of Confucius' life given the fact that he lived 2500 years ago. It combines some history of China with some anecdotes about Confucius. His sayings are interspersed amongst the biography (a book that only consists of his sayings would not be appealing to children).

The illustrations wonderfully combine framed paintings that appear to be ancient with parts of plants (actual ones, not painted) - the combination restores life to old sc
Sheridan
Dec 08, 2015 Sheridan rated it it was amazing
This children’s book tells the story of Confucius and his teachings. Although it is rather wordy, it is definitely an amazing read for a children’s classroom. It teaches the value of compassion and kindness towards others. This book informs readers that Confucius never wrote about his teachings but instead had disciples who did. He also wasn’t a religious person but after he passed away he was seen as a religion. His passion for learning rubbed off on others. I actually really enjoyed reading th ...more
Ally Irwin
Apr 26, 2015 Ally Irwin rated it liked it
Freedman, R., & Ment, F. (2002). Confucius: The golden rule. New York: Arthur A. Levine Books.

Russell Freedman traveled to China to visit where Confucius was born and interviewed his descendants and the teachings of the sage that was written down. With Russell actually visiting his home town and talking to people that follow him you get the most out of this then just facts. You get real stories and what they believe. Confucius shared his wisdom about five centuries before Jesus taught his go
JUNE BENGOETXEA
CONFUCIUS: THE GOLDEN RULE written by Russell Freedman is the biographical picture book about Kong Qiu or Confucius. The biography start telling that he lived with his mother and father and it is explain the good omen that his mother received before having him. When he was 15 Confucius knew that he wanted to be a scholar and began his learning. As he gained knowledge he realized that China was in a dark place full of corruption in the government and he had radical ideas to change it for the bett ...more
Pelican G.
Apr 27, 2015 Pelican G. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because there are a lot of facts. It goes into the right amount of depth and is an easy read. It is written in a way that makes recollection of the information in it very easy.
Samantha Meyer
Apr 23, 2012 Samantha Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: eced-221
Summary
Confucius: The Golden Rule by Russell Freedman is the biography about Kong Qiu or Confucius as he is know in the West. The biography starts off with an introduction about Confucius and what is known to be fact vs what people speculate about. Then begins the look into Confucius' life starting with his mother and father and the good omen that his mother received before having him. At 15 Confucius knew that he wanted to be a scholar and began his learning. As he gained knowledge he realized
Adam Bakken
I feel that this book would be better suited in classrooms aged 10 and up. This book is about Confucius, the Chinese philosopher that lived over 2500 years ago. The book begins introducing who Confucius is, then tells the legend of his life. The book attempts to be as historically accurate as possible, and mentions when it covers parts of his life and legend that are more legend than fact. It tells of his life, how at 15 he knew he wanted to be a scholar, and how he became fed up with the govern ...more
Shelli
Nov 13, 2015 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Confucius may have been alive more than 2,500 years ago but his teachings are just as relevant. Russell Freedman's lengthy picture book biography is a wonderful read for all ages describing this revolutionary philosopher who never gave up trying to spread an enlightened way of thinking and government.

Cheryl
Interesting look at the life of Confucius. I realized how little I really knew about him as I read this book.

"Tradition tells us that Confucius was a large man possessed of great physical strength. He has been described a a homely giant with warts on his nose, two long front teeth that protruded over his lower lip, and a wispy beard. What people remembered most, however, wasn't his odd appearance but his undeniable charm."

The art is sophisticated and I liked the addition of real life fruit, veg
Sarah Maddaford
It's kind of long with pictures that aren't all that interesting. I like all the sayings and the fact that the author actually visited Confucius's home town, but the book was a bit boring. I'm not sure what age group would pick this up for anything other than a research report, but I'm not sure how useful this book would be for that. I was especially confused by the random fruits and flowers overlaid on the illustrations. Were they part of the Chinese tradition of Confucianism or just an added f ...more
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
"Confucius: The Golden Rule" is a memior book. The age group for this book would be primary to intermediate. The book tells all about Confucius and all about their life. What they did so special and how it effected other people. I know alot of people that are effected everyday by Conducius and reading this book made me understand why.

I reviewed this book at 4 stars. I personal think that the author could have made the book more interesting. This book was very well written but it could have been
Jesse Bray
Mar 05, 2015 Jesse Bray rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to the life and teachings of the both the historical and mythic Confucius. Gorgeous paintings and plain language make this an accessible book for all ages.
Miranda
Nov 19, 2015 Miranda rated it it was ok
Way too many words for the average aged reader it was intended for. A little boring, but very informative for those doing research.
Jaycen
Feb 22, 2015 Jaycen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jj-nonfiction
He never knew about Confuscius until this book. A Russell Freedman classic yet again.
Ginn RE
difficult but to be read after marx and Lao Tseu
Jill
May 02, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This is a great book about who Confucius really was - so often we're told he is the sage that teaches religious virtues, and so he did, but predominantly, he taught people how to be good statesmen, how government should work, and petitioned for years for the opportunity to implement his ideas of good government. He encouraged people to act like gentlemen (or ladies), that it was something that you are based on your actions, not your nobility of birth, but your nobility of character. I enjoyed it ...more
Jon Cone
Jan 10, 2012 Jon Cone rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are worthy of deep meditation. Freedman's text is clear, elegant, wide-ranging, and poignant. Freedman's Confucius is made a living, breathing man of great compassion and profound purpose. I didn't hold out much for this book, when I picked it up on a whim at a local bookstore 20% off table. Yet I discovered it to be a most charming book that was highly informative, and written in a style that is its own deep reward.

Highly recommended.
Emily
Aug 11, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
This biography of Confucius is a great one for upper elementary, middle, and even high school kids who need a short biography for a book report. This one isn’t long, but it has a lot of information, a lot of quotes, and a lot of speculation about what we know and think we know about Confucius. Russell Freedman is known for his outstanding biographies, and this one is no acceptation.

Nancy
May 13, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it
I wish I had known about this author when I was helping my kids with school work. His books are well done and informative. There are quite a few of them as well and they give good information on important topics of interest. For my book club we were told to read ANY book by Russell Freedman. You can too...
Kari
Jan 27, 2009 Kari rated it it was amazing
Fascinating telling of Confucius that gives him dignity and reveals how progressive he was, more than 2500 ago. His influence, still seen today, is inspiring. And yet, to him, he was a failure as his dream was to be active in government. He was ahead of his time. I will never make another "Confucius say ..." joke.
Jessie
Nov 12, 2011 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: children, nonfiction
An interesting and informative biography of Confucius--I never knew much about him and enjoyed this introduction to his life. The illustrations are reminiscent of Chinese art from the time period, almost ghostly. The text was a bit on the long side, and lost interest after his death.
Thomas Andrikus
Sep 25, 2011 Thomas Andrikus rated it it was amazing
One of the most simple introductions to Confucianist philosophy, it elaborates how the words of this wise sage still rings true in democratic and secular societies today.
Amanda Cone
Aug 01, 2011 Amanda Cone rated it really liked it
Shelves: ls5360
This book had wonderful illustrations and did not talk down to children. I like that the author assumes that children have intelligence. I will be adding this to my library.
Matilda
Oct 29, 2015 Matilda rated it liked it
Brief history on Confucius, just a little hard to understand and only 34 pages long!
Bullcitytaheel
Dec 19, 2008 Bullcitytaheel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older children through adult
Great introduction to Confucius. Lots of illustrations, but meatier than a typical picture book. I will keep my eye out for any work by Russell Freedman.
Natalie Morgan
This book was a nice overview. The artwork on every other page, was pretty strange.
S10_Helena
Jul 20, 2010 S10_Helena rated it liked it
Shelves: asian-american
Genre: non-fiction
Format: picture book
Grade level: middle school
Mckinley
Apr 12, 2012 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Good job explaining life and age that Confucius lived in.
Beth
Jul 18, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: asian-american
Picture Book/Non-fiction
Ages:10-13
Bamo
Bamo rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Russell Freedman is the award-winning author of 47 books, some of which have been translated into a diverse number of languages, including Japanese, Korean, German, Spanish, Flemish, Arabic and Bengali. But Freedman wasn't always a children's book writer.

He grew up in San Francisco and attended the University of California, Berkeley, and then worked as a reporter and editor for the Associated Pre
More about Russell Freedman...