Start by marking “Crested Butte: : A Novel” as Want to Read:
Crested Butte: : A Novel
Marilyn Brown Oden

Crested Butte: : A Novel

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This gripping story captures the past and catapults it into the present. Unforgettable characters struggle and celebrate against the backdrop of Crested Butte, Colorado history. Miners and coal barons, freighters and bankers, dreamers and dancers enter the drama and struggle through trials and celebrate triumphs. Historical figures play bit parts. Vini is the star. Separat ...more
Published November 15th 2000 by Western Reflections Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Crested Butte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crested Butte

Sharon Smartt
Great story about early times in Colorado in the mining industry. Enjoyed the story and the characters.
I liked this book better than I thought I would. Yes, it is melodramatic, but that suits the time and place, the wild west. It also didn't hurt that it was very close to where I spent several summers doing summer stock, so it brought up fond memories, not that I went down in a mine or anything. The book was dramatic, fast paced, but rather "soap-opera-ish". Yet enjoyable and presenting another side of Americana.
Kristen Holland Shear
This book was really hard to get into, but I kept reading, hoping that it would get better. It did! The heroine reminds me a bit of my mom - she's a fighter who doesn't let things get her down. The storyline is pretty drawn out at times and I found myself shaking my head a few times, muttering "of course that would happen," but it's a nice read.
I enjoyed the book, especially because we have spent quite a bit of time in Crested Butte and could picture the setting very well. It also gave me a bit of insight into the miner's strikes.
Dec 02, 2013 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tammy, Vonnie, Mom
What a WONDERFUL book! Masterfully told story line; characters that I loved (and hated). All set against the rugged beauty of my Rocky Mountains.
Cynthia Egbert
This story is so sweet. But the writing is a bit poor and stilted.
Don added it
Oct 06, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Macnab added it
Apr 23, 2014
Tricia added it
Aug 25, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2012
KEP added it
Jan 07, 2011
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
Julie is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2010