Start by marking “Makai” as Want to Read:
Makai

Makai

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In her second novel, Kathleen Tyau takes us from the shoeshine stands and dance halts of Honolulu's Chinatown to the rough, remote Maul coast in this saga of two Chinese Hawaiian women and their intertwined tires. Alice Lum narrates this story of her troubling but devoted friendship with her beautiful and bold best friend, Annabel Lee, whose Hawaiian great-grandmother perf ...more
Published July 31st 1999 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published June 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Makai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makai

Thea Steele
I got this book for Christmas (maybe it was 2003, maybe it was my birthday, but anyway) and also The Strokes Is This It. In my mind the two are irrevocably linked. But besides that, this book is amazing- the main character is ordinary, but the tragedies of her life are given weight, so that it feels more like an epic than anything else.
Doranne Long
I had to read this book carefully. It's exceptionally well-written as the author wanders from the past, to the present, her dreams and life. She shares history from the 1940's and forward, while living in Hawaii. Her writing captures the voices of the various cultures of the Islands. Mahalo
Bookfanatic
A story about Hawaii set in the not so long ago past. I am very familiar with Hawaii so I can vouch for the authenticity of the descriptions. The author, Tyau, does a great job setting up the story of Alice Lum, the Chinese-Hawaiian woman, whose friendship with a bold and beautiful woman is full of drama and tragedy. Someone should make this book into a film. It has the ingredients for an intriguing movie. The style of writing is a bit stream of consciousness so it takes some getting used to, bu ...more
Bonnie G
I loved knowing all the places the characters inhabited in this book. It takes place on both Maui and Oahu, the only two islands I have visited, both with fond memories. I also liked the story of two girlfriends who had ups and downs in their friendship, but always a deep connection. The male characters were varied and sometimes mysterious, which made them more interesting. The storyline moved erratically across time, but was very clear. I would definitely read more by this author.
Leilani
I just randomly picked up this book because of the title (makai means to go towards the water if you are giving someone directions in Hawaiian). It was non-linear and the descriptions of Maui and Oahu were very vivid and beautiful, I can totally picture all of the places the book mentions that I have been to. The protagonist depressed me though, and it actually made me sad the whole time I read it!
Mirah W
Since I lived in Hawaii several years ago I find myself searching out books about Hawaii, Hawaiian culture and people. This book was full of interesting characters but I didn't like the almost stream of consciousness writing style.
Mary
I needed a reading excursion to Hawaii, and as usual, I was reminded that the stories of the islands are much more interesting than the myths of paradise.
Zuzka
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! Someone should make it into a movie! Amazing!
Megan
I love this book so much that I've given it to friends, sometimes twice to the same friend. Sorry Alexia!
Michelle Forbes
Michelle Forbes marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Madmary
Madmary marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Christy Childers
Christy Childers marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Aug 11, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Rhonda Arnold
Rhonda Arnold marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mnhoscar
Mnhoscar marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Marion
Marion marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Andra Tartan
Andra Tartan marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Rachel Suntop
Rachel Suntop marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014