Start by marking “The White Trash Mom Handbook: Embrace Your Inner Trailerpark, Forget Perfection, Resist Assimilation into the PTA, Stay Sane, and Keep Your Sense of Humor” as Want to Read:

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A mommy manifesto for the mom who proudly strives to be less-than-perfect

Michelle Lamar is a wry observer of the politics of elementary schools, the perfect moms who run them, and the kids who are trying to grow up without being embarrassed to death by their parents. This book imparts invaluable advice on how to survive the brutal world of parenting, bake sales, and the PT
Published August 5th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The White Trash Mom Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Trash Mom Handbook

Marsha
A different kind of handbook for the working, caring mother. Here’s a handy guide about how to rear your children without putting too much effort into it. Filled with humor, insight, pearls of wisdom (“It really does not matter what you do because something that you do to your children will drive them to a therapist’s couch.”) and sage advice, this is a must-have book for the exhausted mother who needs to know she doesn’t have to do it all. Motherhood can drive you to drink and this book lets yo ...more
Amy
The quiz at the beginning about whether you're a "white trash mom" or not actually had me laughing out loud.

The book quickly went downhill from there, though... bashing the "popular" moms at school, talking about how to lie to clients and your boss at work, and figuring out ways to avoid having to volunteer at your child's school. Those are traits of a dishonest, lazy mom... not the "white trash" moms in my world.

I realize that it was meant to be satirical, but it really missed the mark with m
Shelly
It was just borderline okay. I really didn't care for the passive agressive approaches suggested for handling what she calls the "Muffia" and that kind of turned me off to the whole book. I know it's somewhat tongue in cheek, but I didn't get into it. I kept thinking, if you're going to call it White Trash, just be White Trash and talk about pulling hair and drinking hooch and screaming f-u in the trailer lot, not about how to insult someone by implying they used to be heavier.
Karen
Apr 26, 2011 Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This one was slightly funny in parts, but, my gosh, the editing was terrible! It read like the publisher asked Lamar to send in some jokes and then they cut and paste things completely willy-nilly. It skipped around randomly- almost made me carsick trying to read the thing.
Prom
It was okay. Ive definately seen some of the moms at my kids' schools a little differently. Like another reviewer said, not as funny as I thought it was going to be, but I still laughed a little in some spots.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
some sections made me laugh. some made me cringe. yikes! i'm glad i'm not this woman's child.
certainly not a cover-to-cover read, but to pick up and skim here and there, funny enough to satisfy.
Katrina
this recommended to me by another mom - i found funny parts (i.d. of "muffia") but tiring overall. in reality a guide to help moms who don't fit in - fit in. what if you just don't want to?
Sandra
Pretty funny thoughts; his is the kind of book I could have written. I found that the ideas presented weren't new for my thinking, & I'm not sure what that says about me!
Catherine
So-so funny. Concentrates on school years which I haven't gotten to yet. If I wasn't already surrounded by hilarious WT moms, this would have been a clever novelty read.
Andie
Totally recommend this book for any woman who is raising kids, is going to raise kids, or wants to laugh about what it was like to raise kids!
Amy
She is a doll and I love her refreshing take on modern parenting :) Whiskey Tango here I come. Quick read and good feel.
Rebecca
Not bad. Not nearly as funny as I thought it would be, but an enjoyable read anyhow! :)
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
lauren
lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Lindsey Gifford
Lindsey Gifford marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Theresa Morris
Theresa Morris marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Narcissa Matte
Narcissa Matte is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013