Start by marking “Waggit's Tale” as Want to Read:
Waggit's Tale

Waggit's Tale (Waggit #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  40 reviews
He is nameless.
He is homeless.
He is friendless.
He is lost.

Until he is found . . . by a team of mutts who shelter him and teach him how to survive the wilds of the city park.

And so he becomes Waggit, the best hunter and tracker in the pack, and the dog with the most powerfully wagging tail. Waggit grows to love his team, especially its leader, Tazar, and his best friend, an
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Waggit's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waggit's Tale

The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Hardcover Boxed Set, Books 1-6 by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Series Ever
17th out of 70 books — 58 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books
288th out of 452 books — 899 voters

More lists with this book...

Faith
Waggit has been abandoned by his master and has been rescued by a kind team of dogs. He learns to survive in the park and becomes a good hunter, but unexpected things happen making life in the park more difficult.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- There are many dogs in the story.

Reason 3- I could imagine what was happening.

Reason 4- I could feel all the emotions that the dogs were feeling.
Mike Benliyan
This book was a very informative and different book. It was written in the perspective of a dog! They refered to humans as the two legged ones and we were the ones spoiling their world. they had a whole system, territories, and rules. humans,especially the dog pound workers, are there most hated enemy. The main character, Waggit, is a dog thst has been left by his human family and adopted by a clan of dogs. he is faced by many chalanges and has to overcome his fear of being alone to survive. I r ...more
MaryAnn
Sep 18, 2008 MaryAnn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up
John Parker
Waggit belongs in the top shelf of "dog lit." It's not Sounder, or Old Yeller, and it's not as juvenile as Clifford, but it is a special book.
Waggit is special because the story is told from the dog's point of view, and told well. Howe's masterful style will engage young and reluctant readers; it is both suspenseful and predictable.

In a sense, Howe presents an alternate reality based on a dog's world, but that world turns out to be larger and more complex than a dog's one-day-at-a-time view.

Whil
Gina
If you have an adopted dog or known an adopted dog, or just love animals you have to read this book. Wonderful!!!!!!
Laurie
Jul 28, 2008 Laurie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone/ any age
I highly recommend this wonderful story of a homeless dog. This could be the next Charlotte's Web!!!!!
Mazzou B
Just as a reminder, I speed-read books for my younger siblings. I picked this one up at the library and read it while we drove home...By the middle of the book I was sure it contained nothing objectionable but I must admit it was kind of interesting. The author is a good storyteller. But of course- he's British.
My 7-year old sister really liked reading this book. It's not too much against humans, by the way. (not any more than any book focusing on a dog world anyhow. :) ) And not too fantastica
Liesl
This well-crafted tale presented from a dog's point of view was chosen as the winter school-wide book for the elementary school where I work. I was drawn in by Waggit's story right from the start and can see young children easily enjoying his adventures as well. I loved how the park that Waggit and the Tazarians inhabited is a simplified version of Central Park, and how the smaller landmarks throughout had heightened significance through the eyes of a dog. The book opens up interesting discussio ...more
Gavin Kordestani
I really enjoyed this book. It was a lot like the Warriors books, and those were really good too. Just like with The Sight, the ending was not as good as i thought it would be.
Kelly H

I really like this book. This book is adventurous as well as developing a friendship between dogs.
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
A very cute book. But it wasn't as 'cute' as you'd expect. Homeless and nameless, a puppy wanders the streets looking for food and safety, and that's exactly what he finds. A pack of strays find him and bring him into their home and name him 'Waggit'. This story goes through the hardships and the humorous times Waggit has with his pack. The Ruzelas (police, park rangers) and the Uprights (humans)try to capture the strays 24/7, and sickness and famine strikes in winter. A sweet, but sometimes sad ...more
Denise
The book was a poor attempt at personification. The author uses the simplest of phrasing, and a great deal of it, which causes the action to drag. The author invents new words such as Uprights (humans), Ruzelas (policemen), and Longlegs (horses) which may be confusing, at best, for young readers. Because of the agonizing slow pace and strange phraseology it's nearly impossible to use as a read-aloud.
Mr. Steve
I generally enjoy books with talking animals and this title did not disappoint. I thought it was well written and the characters well-drawn out. Definitely a good recommendation for dog lovers and fans of Ann Martin's book A Dog's Life.

Not very intense as far as animal survival stories go, and I would feel comfortable recommending this book to good 3rd grade readers on up, even if they are sensitive to animals.
I loved it! I always love a good book about an animal. Waggit was an amazing character and it broke my heart to read that he was abandoned as a puppy. I'm so happy that he was found by the Tazarians and given a home. The lady that he is livng with ast the end of the story is a good person, but would really like to read that Waggit s back with Tazar and the other dogs.
Jennifer Priester
I really love this book. It is basically the story of a dog, that like many dogs, get dumped by their owner. He finds a group of other stray/feral dogs and becomes a member of their pack. It is a good story for fans of warriors who also like dogs, or those who just like dogs in general. I believe it is a good story for any age to read.
Heidi
Torin and I enjoyed this story, told through the eyes of an abandoned dog and the team of companions he finds in Central Park. I enjoyed the "dogs'-eye-view" and created vocabulary - read the book to learn about uprights, feeders, scurries, curlytails, rollers and ruzelas, and the roles they play in a dog's life. :-)
Shayla
This is a heart-felt story about freedom, sacrifice, and survival. Waggit, an abandoned petulant, is adopted by a team called The Tazarians, lead by Tazar. Waggit is later forced to decide between life in the park, or the pampered eternity of a petulant. What will he decide?
I know, but do you?
Anaya
This book is really one of my favorites. There is also two more books called Waggit Again and Waggit Forever. The last book i have to read is Waggit Again. Once again, really great story and i hope whoever is reading this book also likes it too. Get the series if you do!
Tessa 11-12
Waggit's Tale is a book that show's teamwork and friendship. I really think this is such a good book that I have now read it book two times. The book is something that I can't really explain how good it is until you read it.
Lara
all these books by peter howe are so beautiful, they give the story from a dogs point of view, and use the dogs 'language'. they are nicely written too and explain how hard it is for a street dog to live on the streets.
Anne Marie
I think that it was a very good storyline. Of course, I lo♥e books that is from the animal's view. The only thing that didn't like was the dogs didn't seen to have a great sense of smell. Other then that, it was great!
Lynn Siler
Not too bad, I'm afraid it won't be a classic because of what I consider "holes" in the narrative. But a very pleasant read I can recommend to any but the fussiest English majors.
Hanna
I think this series is great because it is about a pack of dogs who learn to survive together. If you like the first one then you should read the other two.
Ms. Maria
Great for fans of the Guardians of Ga'hoole or Warrier Cats series. Excellent book to recommend to children who like to read about packs and clans.
LS
Jul 22, 2012 LS rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Light read, but the dog perspective is interesting and made me laugh several times. I doubt that they're really THAT organized though hahaha.
 Dawn ( Erica ) Flessner
this was the best book i've ever read. i hope to get the second and third books. James Howe is the most definitely my favorite author
Jason
This was an amazing book. One of the only books where I felt Waggit was my own dog. The ending deserved a standing ovation from me.
Keely
This book is simply amasing its so amasing I can't describe it so I can only tell you this........GET THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drea
This book reminded me of the warrior cat sieres by Erin Hunter. A very heart warming tale about a dogs life as a stray.
Karen
sooo random. all these dog gangs. and the evil dog gang fights the good dog gang...good though
  • Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • The Storm (Dogs of the Drowned City, #1)
  • Finding Danny
  • Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog
  • Dog Lost
  • Star in the Forest
  • Ghost Dog Secrets
  • Goosed!
  • Seaglass Summer
  • Hotel for Dogs
  • Loudest Beagle On The Block (Pet Trouble)
  • Dogmagic (Animalmagic, #2)
  • Titanicat
  • Legend of the Ghost Dog
  • Star in the Storm
  • Puppies in the Pantry (Animal Ark, #3)
  • Nurk: The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew
Waggit Again Waggit Forever Shooting Under Fire: The World of the War Photographer Warriors of the Black Shroud Paparazzi: And Our Obsession with Celebrity