Start by marking “Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)

Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  8 reviews
...Bloom shook his head. The sad brown eyes looked even sadder. He sighed and then said, "You know anybody who might’ve wanted that little girl badly enough?"

"What?" I said.

"The little girl."

"I don’t understand."

"Badly enough to have killed the mother for it."

"I still..."

"The little girl's gone, Mr. Hope. Whoever killed Victoria Miller took the little girl with him."

What b
Published 1994 by Hodder And Stoughton (first published June 26th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Rumpelstiltskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpelstiltskin

Cathy DuPont
When I started this series, not knowing it was a series at all, I read in this order: First read in the series was #4, then #5, then #1 and lastly, this book #2, Rumpelstiltskin. Therefore I was already familiar with attorney Matthew Hope and his personal situation, divorced with a lovely 13 year old daughter, dating but unattached.

When I entered Rumpelstiltskin on Goodreads, I noticed that my buddy Jim Thane had read it and had given it three stars. When I emailed him he said he couldn’t belie
Laura Noto
Cathy Ryan
This was my first Matthew Hope mystery, actually my first of any of Ed McBain's books. A good story coupled with an excellent narration made for an enjoyable listen. And although several references dated the story a little it didn't really detract. I like Matthew Hope and the tongue in cheek humour, the characters are rounded and believable. In essence it's a good old fashioned whodunit.
I have to say though, it seemed a little odd and unnecessary to spend so much time discussing the whys and whe
Rkutler
I like this period, though I never expected to get interested in a Florida setting, having lived through the worst vacation there...Hope seems to be drawn into solving crimes almost against his will, and the fairy tale themes are intriguing, as they are less obvious than you would expect due to McBain's fine writing.
Charles
Another good entry in the Matthew Hope series. I enjoyed it, and the ending raised it up a notch to take it to four stars.
Michael Kelberer
Second time reading it and got bored with the lawyer-style dialogues
Tommyb
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
  • Candyland
  • Goodbye, Janette
  • The Eighth Commandment
  • Under The Andes
  • A Bullet for Cinderella
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • The Canary Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #2)
  • Chicago Lightning
  • The Goodbye Look
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • The Monsters (Doc Savage, #7)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Moth (Lew Griffin, #2)
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • The Ian Fleming Files:  Operation Armada
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)