Start by marking “Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the second book in the "Lessons from Charlie Trotter "series, the lauded chef shares his strategies for success in this guide on how to give the ultimate dining experience.
As winner of the James Beard Foundation's Outstanding Restaurant Award, Charlie Trotter and his service staff run what many consider to be America's finest restaurant. But it's not just about food in
Published November 28th 2001 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

Dana
Another book for my exam. I don't even know how to rate this book. Thankfully it was a short read as I don't think I could have taken much more. As a Christian I want to do all things to the glory of God and this includes carrying out my vocation with excellence however the worldview of this book on wine and food and the service thereof is idolatrous in my opinion. This book worships wine and food and perfect service. I really don't know anything about Charlie Trotter and the worldview he held b ...more
Oleg Kagan
I ran across this book at a used bookstore in Solvang, CA that was going out of business (note to book lovers: there is another one nearby). I'm glad I did because as a public servant, I am always looking for great books about customer service, and Lawler's book on chef Charlie Trotter's methods is inspiring. Taking pride in the work and appearance of his restaurant, making sure his employees always provided the best experience for customers, taking and respecting feedback were just some of the ...more
Sean
Jan 20, 2008 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Service industry
I give this book to any server, who's engaged in their first "fine-dining" restaurant job. While a lot of the philosophy is common-sense based, and more of it designed for a four star establishment... I still find the basic principles... if adhered to... can make any server a better server. I wish I had Trotter's finances, to lavish extravagant paychecks on all my servers... there's no doubt his payscale creates better employees, unfortunately we're not all living in the Charlie Trotter world.

Bu
Mike Zyskowski
Initially it was an interesting behind the scenes look at a restaurant that strove for an insane level of service, but quickly became dry and tedious. Not to say there aren't some valuable lessons to be learned from it . . . if anything I'd love a Cliff's Notes version of it. I'm a notorious dog ear'er, and if it hadn't been a borrowed copy of the book, there probably would have been a good 20 places that would have been folded over and highlighted. Worth checking out
Nicole Fabian
the author has a hard-on for charlie trotter, but the latter really is an expert in hospitality. i recommend that you skim through for the summaries / bullet points of the bottom line at the end of each chapter, thereby foregoing the author's poor prose..
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: culinarybooks
Although I am no currently a fan of Charlie Trotter, you have to admit that his passion for perfection is inspiring in this industry. This book is better than his lessons in excellence.
Eddie
Expected quotes & insight from the respected professional. Although there are details which some may consider common sense, it never hurts to strengthen your foundation.
Joan
A very interesting insight into what makes one of the most famous (and most expensive) places to eat in Chicago so successful!
Richard
Essential reading for EVERY hospitality professional.
Melinda Coleman-Prince
Melinda Coleman-Prince marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Elizabeth Sotelo
Elizabeth Sotelo marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Benjamin Sims
Benjamin Sims marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jim George
Jim George marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kathleen Roberts
Kathleen Roberts is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Woody
Woody marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Paige Bradish
Paige Bradish marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Hershel Shipman
Hershel Shipman marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Nick Zdon
Nick Zdon marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Copy Chasers on Creating Business-To-Business Ads Charlie Trotter's: A Pictorial Guide to the Famed Restaurant and Its Cuisine (Great Restaurants of the World)