Start by marking “Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the second book in the "Lessons from Charlie Trotter "series, the lauded chef shares his strategies for success in this guide on how to give the ultimate dining experience.
As winner of the James Beard Foundation's Outstanding Restaurant Award, Charlie Trotter and his service staff run what many consider to be America's finest restaurant. But it's not just about food in
Published November 28th 2001 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter

Sean
Jan 20, 2008 Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Service industry
I give this book to any server, who's engaged in their first "fine-dining" restaurant job. While a lot of the philosophy is common-sense based, and more of it designed for a four star establishment... I still find the basic principles... if adhered to... can make any server a better server. I wish I had Trotter's finances, to lavish extravagant paychecks on all my servers... there's no doubt his payscale creates better employees, unfortunately we're not all living in the Charlie Trotter world.

Bu
Dana
Feb 03, 2014 Dana rated it did not like it
Another book for my exam. I don't even know how to rate this book. Thankfully it was a short read as I don't think I could have taken much more. As a Christian I want to do all things to the glory of God and this includes carrying out my vocation with excellence however the worldview of this book on wine and food and the service thereof is idolatrous in my opinion. This book worships wine and food and perfect service. I really don't know anything about Charlie Trotter and the worldview he held b ...more
Oleg Kagan
Sep 21, 2014 Oleg Kagan rated it really liked it
I ran across this book at a used bookstore in Solvang, CA that was going out of business (note to book lovers: there is another one nearby). I'm glad I did because as a public servant, I am always looking for great books about customer service, and Lawler's book on chef Charlie Trotter's methods is inspiring. Taking pride in the work and appearance of his restaurant, making sure his employees always provided the best experience for customers, taking and respecting feedback were just some of the ...more
Mike Zyskowski
Mar 23, 2013 Mike Zyskowski rated it it was ok
Initially it was an interesting behind the scenes look at a restaurant that strove for an insane level of service, but quickly became dry and tedious. Not to say there aren't some valuable lessons to be learned from it . . . if anything I'd love a Cliff's Notes version of it. I'm a notorious dog ear'er, and if it hadn't been a borrowed copy of the book, there probably would have been a good 20 places that would have been folded over and highlighted. Worth checking out
Nicole Fabian
Oct 07, 2008 Nicole Fabian rated it really liked it
the author has a hard-on for charlie trotter, but the latter really is an expert in hospitality. i recommend that you skim through for the summaries / bullet points of the bottom line at the end of each chapter, thereby foregoing the author's poor prose..
Holly
Feb 21, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
Provides a transformitive view on how powerful it is to be of service and how profound an impact service done well can enliven the soul and carry them to new heights. Deeply philosophical in it's message.
Jerrod Stephan
Apr 05, 2007 Jerrod Stephan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: culinarybooks
Although I am no currently a fan of Charlie Trotter, you have to admit that his passion for perfection is inspiring in this industry. This book is better than his lessons in excellence.
Eddie
Dec 13, 2008 Eddie rated it really liked it
Expected quotes & insight from the respected professional. Although there are details which some may consider common sense, it never hurts to strengthen your foundation.
Mike
Apr 07, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Explains the vision and how Mr. Trotter used his leadership to achieve excellence in service in his restaurants.
Joan
Jan 07, 2009 Joan rated it liked it
A very interesting insight into what makes one of the most famous (and most expensive) places to eat in Chicago so successful!
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Essential reading for EVERY hospitality professional.
Piotr
Piotr marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
ellen e bucher
ellen e bucher rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Drew Beyersdorf
Drew Beyersdorf marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Audra
Audra rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Mike O'connor
Mike O'connor rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Liz Lopez
Liz Lopez is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Rhonda Tates
Rhonda Tates marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
John
John added it
Apr 14, 2016
Marin
Marin marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Jill Jensen
Jill Jensen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Micah Thornton
Micah Thornton is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2016
Ryan Kunde
Ryan Kunde rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Robert Love
Robert Love rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2016
Michhaley
Michhaley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016