Start by marking “Rose (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rose (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #1)

Rose (The Year I Turned Sixteen #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is me and my three younger sisters. Being the oldest has never been easy, but it was especially hard the year I turned sixteen. That was the year that the things I thought would always be the same changed forever. After Dad died, Mom needed me to pitch in more--get a job and help take care of my sisters. I was working so hard to care for my family, I forgot to look ou ...more
Published January 27th 1999 by Simon Pulse (first published July 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose

Alwiyia
Jun 07, 2015 Alwiyia rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The Year I Turned Sixteen is a series of stories which follows four sisters as they each turn sixteen years old. This first one follows Rose, the eldest of the sisters as she's turning sixteen, shortly after her father has died from a fishing accident. With their father gone, the family are struggling financially which is a problem for Rose, one of the reasons being because she's dating a rich boy.

I found Rose to be exteremly annoying when the story started. She was kind of a brat at first and I
 Kendall [Kenny]
Jul 27, 2011 Kendall [Kenny] rated it liked it
(I read it as part of the omnibus version, but because I've not yet read the others...I'm using the singular version.)

A cute story. Very summer read-ish.
Audrey
Dec 10, 2011 Audrey rated it liked it
About Rose during the year after her 16th birthday. Her year starts off not very happy, with a boyfriend who she feels she can't open up to because of the differences in their social status and wealth. Her father has recently died and her family is struggling to make ends meet.

I didn't think that Rose was a very good main character. She whined a lot about her family's money situation and was embarrassed to admit it, she was very unappreciative of her mother. She also was overly emotional and una
Joanna
Apr 06, 2014 Joanna rated it it was ok
This book was kind of a let down for me, considering it came highly recommended by a friend. Rose was less than appealing as a protagonist to me, and there's not much of a storyline either, I guess as a quick read it wasn't so bad, hopefully the rest of the sisters have better stories to them.
R.Z. Valentine
Feb 01, 2016 R.Z. Valentine rated it liked it
It was cute. Not really the kind of book I would read usually but I liked it. Not the best written either but still it was enjoyable.
705dhara
This book was TERRIBLE. Took forever to read with a terrible ending. I forced myself to the whole series, hoping that it would get better as the story continued. it didn't.
Samantha Glasser
Jun 14, 2012 Samantha Glasser rated it really liked it
The Year I Turned Sixteen follows a family of four girls who live in Maine. The oldest is Rose and she is about to celebrate sweet sixteen, but life is not very sweet because their father has just died.

But life goes on, and amid her family's difficulties, Rose starts to really fall for a guy. She also starts to really want to be a singer/songwriter just like her role model, Sheryl Crow. I was in elementary school when I read this and I looked up to Rose, although I'm sure if I read the book now
Kendal
Jun 02, 2012 Kendal rated it really liked it
Really good! I felt like I could really relate to Rose, and the situations she went through we're very believable. She was a very likable character, and I loved Stephen! :) A great summer read. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Nicole
Jun 01, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: series, own
This book was an easy read but it was still good and well written.
I really don't think the girl on the front cover of the book actually looks 16 however...
Good summer read!
Maggie
May 06, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it
Cute!
Sheenagh Morrison
Sheenagh Morrison marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Evi The Fangirl
Evi The Fangirl marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Elyse
Elyse rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Anisa Dahl
Anisa Dahl rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Hyacinthosei85
Hyacinthosei85 marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Morgan Ranieri
Morgan Ranieri marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Azerina B
Azerina B rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Ashli St
Ashli St marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Prachi Singh
Prachi Singh marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Roxy
Roxy marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Entesar Mohamed
Entesar Mohamed marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Maddie Shupe
Maddie Shupe marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Jessica E
Jessica E marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Becky Trepak
Becky Trepak marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Viviana Diaz
Viviana Diaz marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
  • The Case of the Dog Camp Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #24)
  • The Case of the Hollywood Who-Done-It (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #33)
  • Catch a Falling Star (Summerhill Secrets, #3)
  • The Case of the Game Show Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, #27)
  • The Case of the Cheerleading Camp Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #17)
  • Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life
  • Power of Suggestion (Nancy Drew: Files, #80)
  • Love Happens (Love Stories)
  • Surf, Sand, and Secrets (Two of a Kind Diaries, #24)
  • Here Comes the Bride (Sweet Valley University, #20)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • All That Glitters (Sweet 16, #9)
  • Never Tell Ben (Love Stories For Young Adults, #15)
  • July's Promise (Summer, #2)
  • Goodnight Max

The Year I Turned Sixteen (4 books)
  • Daisy (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #2)
  • Laurel (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #3)
  • Lily (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #4)