Start by marking “Le Jardin Armé” as Want to Read:
Le Jardin Armé

Le Jardin Armé

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Il était un temps où l’on s’étripait au nom de Dieu.
Il était un temps où le chemin du Paradis s'offrait aux Hommes.
Il était un temps où le travail était un crime.
Des temps troubles et héroïques qui ont trouvé leur parfait conteur, un héraut à leur démesure.
Published by Futuropolis (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Le Jardin Armé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Jardin Armé

Emilia P
This was pretty badass.
I was all euh why am I reading about Muslim stories after I just finished a definitive comic book on Muslim stories. With not entirely dissimilar swirly-exact artwork. But no, this was an entirely different type of thing -- The Veiled Prophet was one of those existential tales of old that was eerie and sad and boundlessly frightening as the seas, just because of a dude with a giant turban. The other two stories were related to the religious revolts of the Adamites and the
Ty Melgren
Bizarre and badass Christian and Persian legends from the eighth and fifteenth centuries. David B rubs some brown watercolors over his drawings which somehow makes his style a lot more appealing to me than it was in EPILEPTIC. The color scheme reminds me of Jason's IRON WAGON, but in that book the drab colors made an already boring story seem even worse, and here I guess it reminds me of a crumbly parchment, I like it. If you look closely at the pages though you notice that some of the drawings ...more
Jeff
This is an absolutely brilliant collection representing one of the world's premier graphic novelists at the top of his game. Although these pieces previously appeared in the pages of Mome, it is rewarding to have them gathered together in a single volume featuring larger page impressions than English-speaking readers have previously seen for these same works. David B's work is outstanding on every level - stunningly beautiful pen work, highly original story-telling, and well-conceived page layou ...more
Scapeghost
Drums Bound in Human Skin and the Women Who Love Them

I was blown away by the art of David B the first time I encountered it, in a mid-nineties French anthology, most likely Lapin. He's remained among my top 20 list of cartoonists ever since, along with other masters of sequential art like Charles Burns, Killoffer, Jim Woodring, Al Columbia, Thomas Ott, Mezzo, Juanjo Guarnido, Stephane Blanquet, Jens Harder, Blutch, Sammy Harkham, Dan Clowes, Frederik Peeters, Michael Deforge, blah blah blah, etc
Sonic
History and Mythology are often intermingled in David B.'s wonderful, beautiful, and imaginative stories. I know I had already read at least one of the stories, but it didn't matter I was glad to re-read them.
I love his drawing style!
Sam Quixote
The book contains three long-ish stories; The Veiled Prophet, The Armed Garden, and The Drum Who Fell in Love. All three books contain David B's unique drawing style which lends itself nicely to the surreal nature of the stories.

The first story has something of the 1001 Arabian Nights about it, telling the tale of a prophet whose face is covered by a veil and the quest others took upon themselves to see beyond it. I'm not sure if this story is an original by David B or is an adaptation from the
Kirstie
Jul 01, 2012 Kirstie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in graphic novels, wars, and myths
David B. is an incredible artist and I really think, for me at least, I have to love both the drawings and the words/story involved in graphic novels (otherwise, I'll still to words only). David B's drawings are sometimes morbid, sometimes sensual, and sometimes just showing overwhelming expression and detail. He doesn't slip at all in his drawings here and there's a very mythical sense to what he's exploring. He's really talking about the beginning of creation, different warring thoughts, and s ...more
Stewart Tame
Lovely! Part fable, part history, part mysticism, these three ales by David B. are decidedly good. He has a knack for writing things that get under your skin and itch. Of the three, my favorite is probably, "The Veiled Prophet." The more I see of his work, the more I like it.
René
Los puedo hacer bailar con mi tambor.
Penelope
David B's illustrations are flawless, and the stories here are pretty interesting. I'd read parts of them in MOME but I don't think I actually read any of the stories in this book in their entirety before now. I enjoyed Epileptic more, partly because I really like autobiographical graphic novels but also because it just felt like a much stronger story. Nonetheless, I thought this was a fun read and would definitely recommend it based on the illustrations alone.
David Schaafsma
Great art work, especially. I preferred his memoir, Epileptic, which I thought was terrific, but these part history, part legend/part fantasy stories do help to work toward B's strengths as a "fantasy" artist (some of the best sequences in Epileptic are those that help us imagine what a Grand Mal Seizure might have been like for his brother..). The art is the thing to spend most of your time reading, in these tales.
Brandon
The first story in this collection of three was freakin' badass. For that story alone would I recommend reading this book.

The only two stories were okay, but I wasn't as interested in them as I was in the first.

If you've read something by David B. then you most likely won't be disappointed in the stories and you certainly won't be disappointed by the art.
Derek
Beautifully drawn, and memorably told, this is a dream-like exploration of Persian and Christian mythology. It's very dark, almost nightmare-like at times, and light and cartoonish at other times. The writer/artist is clearly talented, and I enjoyed his versions of these stories. I'm not sure I'd ever re-read it, but it was well worth the journey.
John
Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant are 3 short stories by David B. Mythic and heretical and full of passion and longing. Not only am I thoroughly enchanted by these stories but I am intensely curious about the historical Al-Muqanna, Jan Zizka & the Adamites. David's artwork is exquisite.
Matt Thomas
Fun and thought-provoking stories about the nature of the universe, tyranny, war, death, obsession, music and love, all from an historic and to my mind Middle Eastern perspective. Fun but not for a quick read.
Derek Royal
I like these short DavidB. stories. Because of their length, and also because of the art and tone, they have the feel of legend, myth, or fable. This is a characteristic of many of DavidB.'s comics.
Scott
Best known for his autobiographical graphic novel, Epileptic, David B. has created three incredible fairy tales based on medieval Christian and Muslim history and mysticism.
Peter
A marvelously sumptuous and bonkers little book mixing religious myths both Christian and Islamic. I loved this mad little book and found it perfect bed-time reading.
Barbara
Quite beautiful art, but all the mythical stories were rather impersonal, so the book didn't really speak to me. The art reminded me of Tomi di Paolo somehow.
Matt
Crazy myths spun via Abrahamic traditions like a modern take on something a masonic knight of olde might spin over brine punch and turns on the rack.
Erik Erickson
Fun stories and great art. If you liked Epileptic you'll probably like this but it's not so deep narratively. Really love his drawing though.
Tricia
weird, the first story had a great ending, but the others.....
Samuel
Nerdy bedtime stories
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Dominika
Dominika marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
  • The Man Who Grew His Beard
  • Congress of the Animals
  • Everything We Miss
  • The Strange Tale of Panorama Island
  • Billy Hazelnuts (Billy Hazelnuts, #1)
  • GoGo Monster
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • Ethel and Ernest
  • Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2 (B.P.R.D., #4-5,12)
  • Pinocchio
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue
  • Very Casual
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 4: 1957-1958
  • Marble Season
  • Heads or Tails
  • Curses: Glenn Ganges Stories
Pierre-François Beauchard, who uses the pen name David B., was one of the initiators of the French alternative editorial house L'Association, and is now well-known among the French comics audience. After his Applied Arts studies, David B. had his first publications in magazines such as Chic, Circus, Okapi and A Suivre. Among his early creations are 'Le Timbre Maudit', a story published in Okapi, a ...more
More about David B....
Epileptic L'Ascension du Haut Mal, Tome 1 Nocturnal Conspiracies: Nineteen Dreams From December 1979 to September 1994 Incidents in the Night: Volume 1 Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]