Start by marking “Bear Feels Scared” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,752 ratings  ·  137 reviews
In the deep, dark woods
by the Strawberry Vale,
a big bear lumbers
down a small, crooked trail....
Published August 5th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Feels Scared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Feels Scared

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
237th out of 1,544 books — 1,063 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
213th out of 236 books — 307 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
Nov 24, 2012 Nina added it
Bear feels Scared by Karma Wilson is a compassionate story using rhyme and clear structure about a Bear is in the woods and hungry, but due to cold weather decides to give up his search for food and go home to his cozy cave. On his return it gets dark and Bear stop by a base of a tree, shaking with fear. Wondering where he is his two friends, Wren and Badger go out into the storm to look for Bear. They eventually find Bear and calm his fears.

This is a book suitable for pre- school up until class
Sara Andrews
“Bear Feels Scared” is a wonderful book that helps guide and express emotional and social development. The sing-song lyrical prose and beautifully illustrated pages bring the main character Bear’s emotions to life with vivid color and expression. The book highlights the importance of friendship, self awareness, and teamwork, all the while conveying to the reader a sense of emotional connection and empathy for the lost Bear.

The story is a about a bear who is hungry and goes out to look for a snac
Literary  Chanteuse
Great illustration! Bear's expressions say it all.
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: Bear goes out for a snack, but gets caught in a storm. He becomes very afraid and can't find his way home. His friends are waiting back at the warm cave and notice that Bear has not returned. They form a search party to find Bear. When they bring him home, they form a cozy pile and go to sleep.

ILLUSTRATIONS: As with all of the Bear books, the illustrations are lush, adorable, and expressive.

THE GOOD: My favorite part of the Bear books is when friends rally together to help each other. B
Brenda
In the same vein as Bear Snores On and Bear Stays Up, author Karma Wilson has brought a wonderful addition to the Bear stories. I especially love the illustrations of the wind swept grass and how the tension increases as the pictures get darker with night approaching. That contrasted with the warm colors inside his cave are really wonderful. What's most touching is the cover and why all the animals are huddled together.
Thu Nguyen
This book is so cute. Usually the bear is the scary animal, but in this book, the bear is lost and scared. And all his little friends have to go out and search for him. This book teaches children about friendship. We can talk about different things that we can do for a friend. We can talk about feelings thqt children might. Have. What do they do when they are scared? This book an open many great discussion with children.
Matthew
Bear gets lost ten feet from his cage and a storm hits. His friends go out and find and they all end up happily snoozing in the cave together. Another happy ending. Well done.
Jasmine
Bear Feels Scared- Author Karma Wilson Illustrator Jane Chapman

This book is about a bear who get caught up in a storm while walking through the woods. as he makes his way back home bear is scared and longs for a friend. Little does he know bears animals friends are worried about him and they go looking for him. Bear hears his friends as he continues to walk and they find each other. They make back home safe and sound.

The content of this book focuses on friendship, and teamwork

This book can be
Savannah Work
"Bear Feels Scared" is a wonderful book to use when exploring social-emotional concepts. I feel like it could help children understand that everyone gets scared and that everything will eventually be okay when they've got friends to help them. This is a book that I would have in my classroom at all times if possible.

Facts about the author: Karma Wilson's first book was "Bear Snores On"; it was published in 2002. Since then she has written over 30 other children's books. Karma wrote several books
Kenia Soto
Bear Feels Scared is about a bear who has a hard time finding his way back to his lair. In the book it expresses that the bear, who is a large animal, is scared. His friends set out in search for their friend. The S/E skills and concept in this book are friendship, teamwork, self control, self awareness, and a sense of belonging. I would use this book to explain to the children that it is ok to express their feelings whether they feel scared, sad, or even mad. I would have them make various feel ...more
Angie
I would have totally thought I'd already put this on Goodreads. But lo and behold when it showed up on one of my friend's feeds I didn't have anything next to it. I just finished a Karma Wilson author study, for heaven's sake. And just a few days ago we had a bad storm come in (first rain in like 100 days) and they had all the kids from the portables camped out in all the classrooms. When a kindergarten class came in she begged for some extra time because her room was so crowded with fourth grad ...more
Britteny Gilge
Bear Feels Scared is a story about a bear that is all out on his own and is starts to become dim and he becomes scared. He doesn’t know what to do, but luckily his friends come to find him. The search and search and then finally find bear. This is a great tail about friendship and how friends help in times of need and we can always count on them. One thing I really liked about this book was its illustrations. The illustrator did a very good job at setting the different scenes between the friends ...more
Rosa Cline
Bear is such a wonderful character that Ms Wilson has written about. All his books are great. Written in rhyme and so fun to read. In this one Bear gets lost in the storm and he feels scared. His friends all set out to find him and bring him home. They worry about him until they find him then bring him back home. Such a wonderful story of friendship.
Erica Rhodes
My kids loved this story. The rhyming rhythm is enjoyable and my four year old loves to put in the predictable last word when talking about how Bear feels. The other animals show great care for their large, timid friend, which helps children see compassion in action. We love these books and are seriously considering looking for the whole series.
Lindsay Michael
I like how this book shows children if you have true friends, that they will always be there for you and worry about you when they feel something isn't right. I also enjoyed how the book was suspenseful at first, and then calming at the end. It gives the reader almost a relief and I think kids would enjoy that feeling as well.
Sarah Lane
This is a great story about a bear and his fear of being away from home, feeling scared, and his friends who come to help him. The rhyming in the story and repeating of "bear feels scared" are great ways to get children hooked on the story. Children can also relate to being alone/without their parents or friends and how they felt.
Dominique St-pierre
Yet another sweet book about Karma Wilson about a Bear who is out in the woods (imagine!) by himself and the weather turns. His friends have to decide what to do. Predictable for adults maybe but my Kindergarteners really struggled with what Bear's friends would decide to do. Great for helping students make predictions and talking about what scares them.
J.
This was such a sweet and adorable book. Surprising depth of detail in the plot, too. I enjoyed it a lot. One of my students put this book in front of me to read (she's in eighth grade, and by no means the target audience for this book, either).
Paige P
First of all, I love all the bear series. Karma Wilson does a great job making bears friendly. This story is about bear being scared and his friends come and rescue him. Students can learn about friendship and how to work together as a team.
Bunty Jah
Bear Feels Scared has great illustration and will be good to discuss amongst children in a group setting. Great book to talk about friendship and feelings. It's will be suitable for per-preschoolers and will be good for retelling story..
Great rhythm, and his lair always looks irresistibly cozy. The only thing that bothers me is that he got lost only TEN FEET away from his home. Come on; Bear is smarter than that. He would've seen it from that distance, even if scared!
Ashley Fischer
The cover really does a good job of setting up the book. If you read the title, Bear Feels Scared, and then look at the picture on the cover, the reader really has to look at the details to figure out what may happen in the story. If you just look at the picture and see the bear scared and the other animals by him that don’t really seem scared, a reader may just get the idea that the bear’s friends comfort him. However, if the reader really looks at the details and the texture of the bear’s fur, ...more
Matthew
My two-year old is very concerned about the bear and becomes anxious about all the noises the bear hears in the book. I think a few more pages about how Bear is comforted by his friends would help.
Wooden Horse
My 3 year old cousin is fond of saying that he's "scared". He doesn't really know what the word means so I've been trying to find examples for him. This one provided a pretty good example. He was curious as to who all the animals were and what their names were. We read Bear Wants More and Bear Feels Sick right after this one. He was quick to point out that it was the same bear. They are all cute stories. This one was the regular hardcover and the other two were the board book versions.
Sherri
I love reading Bear stories by Wilson. Her rhyme scheme makes it easy to read aloud with a solid rhythm. It's always entertaining to read about Bear and his family of animal friends.
Maddie Jaques
I really love the Bear books! The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the stories always end with lots of friends. I enjoy the whole lot of them, I can't help it!
Hope
Predicting- I wonder what Bear is afraid of. Hmmmm. Look at the cover. What do you see? About mid-way through the story, talk about their predictions; confirm that it was indeed nighttime, and we learned that what made Bear feel scared was that he was lost and lonely in the dark and he wanted to be home with his friends.

The authors choice of words can be discussed.
-What does it mean when the ‘sun starts to set‘?
-If I ‘mutter‘ something, I might say it like. . .
-When Bear ‘sheds big tears‘, wha
Kim
Not as good as the other Bear books, but gosh the illustrations are just too cute. These are such great gentle books for little people.
Andrea Wilkinson
Beautiful full-page illustrations with an equally simple, but beautiful story about friendship and caring about others.
Parker Catlett-Miller
I cannot properly explain my love for these "Bear Feels " books - but love them I do!
  • The Busy Tree
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Little Mouse and the Big Cupcake
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (10 books)
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Bear Hugs: Romantically Ridiculous Animal Rhymes
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies