Start by marking “Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with your Baby” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  5,958 Ratings  ·  871 Reviews
Tracy Hogg knows babies. She can calm even the most distressed or difficult infant, because she understands their language. Hence, her clients call her 'The Baby Whisperer'. Her incredible sensitivity and ability to read infants' cries, coos and assorted baby noises quickly earned Tracy the admiration and gratitude of high-profile couples, including a host of celebrities.

I
Published February 1st 2001 by Vermilion (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets Of The Baby Whisperer

Ellen
Aug 02, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2010 when I had my first child. Now that baby #2 is almost here, I've picked it up again. I have a love hate relationship with any book that tries to tell you how to be a parent. I find the overall advice from Tracy is dead on in terms of how important it is to provide structure and a routine for your baby and how to go about getting your baby on that routine. Her overall method is basically the same as BabyWise, however I like her approach better - it seems not so judgmental ...more
Hannah
Aug 23, 2007 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new and expectant parents
My big take-aways from this book:

1) Slow down with your baby - go at your newborn's pace, which is way, way slower than you'd expect

2) Respect your baby's personhood - develop an attitude toward your baby like they are a person who is in the room, which they are! Let them know what you're going to do next ("Now we're going to change your diaper... Now it's time to eat... Now it's time to go to sleep...")

3) Give your newborn a tour of the house when you first arrive home from the hospital, or, i
April
Oct 02, 2008 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new moms, pregnant moms, anyone planning on having kids
Recommended to April by: Britt-Marie
I really loved this book. I will recommend it to everyone who would like to understand how their baby communicates. I really feel like I can understand what my babies are saying and asking. I like the author's style of writing because I felt like she was my friend and right here helping me.

People complain that she bases everything off of experience and not science and that she doesn't know anything about breastfeeding. Well, I've read two la Leche League books and I really have had enough of th
Margaret
Feb 11, 2009 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book saved my life. It is similar to Babywise in principal, but much more respectful to a baby's temperament. It is also filled with practical tips. For example, if you are having trouble nursing, there are safe and natural supplements that you can use to increase your milk. She even tells you what to expect with side effects. I read some of the reviews where people said her program is ridiculous and rigid...if you want rigid, read Babywise...The Baby Whisperer advocates a routine, but she ...more
Rachel McCready-Flora
I purchased this book following the recommendations of other new moms on babycenter.com (great website, by the by). My husband and I sat down to read it together, but after an hour going through some of her material, decided it wasn't worth continuing (I think we read the second and third chapters). Leaving her annoying writing style aside (for the sweet love of god, I'm not your 'luv' and don't like being talked down to), no part of her book is based on scientific studies or fact. The one study ...more
CS
Feb 19, 2008 CS rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
At first the advice in this book seemed so logical that I was excited to have a plan for how to be a mom for the first time. Once my son arrived, I decided that this book was evil.

Hogg's basic idea isn't terrible - it's the guilt she assigns to anyone who doesn't use or can't follow her method. I was in tears more than once because I felt like a failure when her advice wasn't working. One day I literally threw the book against a wall with frustration. I think that action surprised enough to see
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one
Recommended to Elizabeth by: I dare not say!
I found this book completely useless and actually ridiculously funny at times because it was just so off. This may work for Tracy Hogg's celebrity clientele who have nannies taking care of their children but it is pretty useless for hands-on Moms. Her tone is annoying (she keeps referring to the reader as "ducky"). Try reading Dr. Harvey Karp's (yes a real MD!) "Happiest Baby on the Block"--a much better and more useful read. We use this book to elevate my son's mattress when he has a head cold. ...more
Damecatoe
Aug 15, 2007 Damecatoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pregnant women, first time moms
Shelves: non-fic
I knew zilch about babies, so my friend picked this up for me at the library. In those first few weeks, I found the book helpful because it had charts to help with understanding a baby's cues.

When my son was less than 6 weeks old, I thought the author's E.A.S.Y. method was bunk. I mean, if a baby wants to fall asleep while eating, no cajoling seems to help. But by the time he was 2-3 months old, I realized he was on E.A.S.Y. - eat, activity, sleep, you time. And I was saner for it.

I read the b
Michelle
Dec 13, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this five stars because I read it in one day, put my two month old on the E.A.S.Y. routine the next day, which she took to immediately, napping like a champ, and she slept through that night. That very night! Amazing!

This went on for a few weeks...Then her naps went all screwy. And she started waking up at night. And her naps got worse. Which made me want to throw away this book in frustration because I was trying to follow it to a tee and it was not working!

I still don't know what i
Rachel
Oct 31, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I read this book before my baby was born, thought it was great, and foolishly thought myself well-prepared to handle my baby. Fast forward a few months to after my baby was born--nothing in the book was helping at all. I thought, surely I was remembering the book wrong, or not applying her ideas correctly, so I read it again. Completely useless. I bet that if you have a very easygoing, laid-back baby who isn't very needy or fussy, this book might be helpful. But for me and my extremely fussy bab ...more
Gail
Oct 11, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oooh did I enjoy this parenting book. I really did. Now, I've since read a critique from a mother of two who liked Tracy Hogg's take on "E.A.S.Y." parenting too —- until she actually HAD the baby. And then discovered it's not a perfect mold.

Which, I get ... you can't apply one parenting concept to every kid. That said, what I liked about Tracy's take on parenting versus some other articles (even books) I've read is how she really drills in this idea that, YOU GUYS--IT'S COMMON SENSE. Yes, paren
Ashley
Feb 08, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is so full of misinformation that it would be comical if Tracy Hogg wasn't intending for it to be actual parenting advice. I should have known that a woman who left her own children across the ocean to become a "parenting consultant" for Hollywood families would have nothing useful to say about actual parenting. Seriously - check out the reviews on the back cover - they are all from actors, producers, etc. rather than from pediatricians, nurses, or (gasp!) ACTUAL PARENTS.

Just a few rea
Carol
Feb 28, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ref-parenting
This book was recommended to me by a friend. I found it really helpful, although the author goes a bit overboard with the mnemonic devices. I liked that she gave some useful tools for how to provide babies with structure & guidance. The best thing was that she taught me it was ok to pause before reacting/responding to whatever my baby was doing. And that the best way to parent is to respect your baby as a person with his/her own personality, interests, likes & dislikes (which is harder t ...more
Christina
Well, I would definitely have to say this book has good points and not so good points. There are some very useful tips in this book, however it all needs to be taken to heart with a good dose of reality. It is very important to begin to get your child on a routine as early as possible, but let's be real, you are never going to get a 3 day old newborn to space feedings out to 3 or 4 hours between each one. Neither are you going to get your newborn to sleep through the night right out of the gate. ...more
Sally Adcock
How can you follow parenting advice off someone who has never even met your child. YOU know them best. Stop worrying and have the confidence to do what you think is best for them. People will always give you advice and unknowingly guilt you with decisions, but stay strong to what you think is best. Perhaps I should write a book on my opinions and make money from vulnerable mums.
Mikaela Robertson

This was my favourite book I read during my pregnancy for helping me prepare for a new baby.

Good points:
• It’s a fairly middle-ground approach to things. She explains the two extremes, then where her approach fits.
• Explains how babies are different and there is no one right way. I found this really encouraging, and also extremely non-judgemental. Still, she gives you a guide for how different things work for different types of babies, so there is still guidance and practical stuff to try, d
Jul 17, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though baby experts never seem to agree with each other and I have read other books that contradict a lot of what Tracy Hogg says, I think she makes the most sense and supports her advice with logical, but easy to understand, reasoning.

One of the things I liked best was that she recognizes that babies have different personalities. In fact, she lists five personalities (Angel baby, Textbook baby, Touchy Baby, Spirited Baby, and Grumpy Baby) that she has encountered in her interactions babie
Amy
May 18, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I was looking for as a first time parent: how to understand why your baby is crying, and how to figure out eating and sleeping routines. I really like the idea of figuring out what your baby is telling you from the signals he is giving you. I had borrowed this from the library, but am ordering a copy for my house, so I can reference and bookmark as much as I want.

I'll be curious to see how much I'll actually use when my baby is here, but for now, I like that I have a p
Chris Springmeyer
Mar 22, 2013 Chris Springmeyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her advice passes through most of my BS filters. Looking forward to applying her framework for raising a well adjusted li'l man.

Some takeaways:
- get into a cycle of E)at, A)ctivity, S)leep, Y)ou time
- Treat your baby with the same respect you'd afford an adult: ask for permission, use their name, keep letting them know what's happening
- Don't rush in when crying...take a few moments to evaluate what might be the issue
- Flip side of above: don't let them cry it out, either
- Formula vs. brea
Shiri
Aug 31, 2013 Shiri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shiri by: Ilana, Efrat, Limor
Shelves: parenting
I was advised to read this book preemptively before the birth (given that afterwards I won't have time for it). I can definitely see why. The common sense tips and advice resonate with contemporary scientific advice for grownups (a la "Power of Habit"). As a bonus, the book is written in a fun tone, easy to read and reassuring for the potentially anxious/neurotic parent. I can already tell this one will come in handy!
Rachel
Jul 10, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I have read so many baby books, but this is by far my favorite one! The author's advice is helpful and practical for any parent.Instead of offering another method the author focuses on giving your baby a predictable life with routine and teaches parents to show respect for their babies. This book has helped me be a better mother and has helped me get my baby to sleep through the night and take naps. This book and the author's book that focuses on sleep was an answer to my prayers.
Noémi Balási
So pregnancy brain kicked in, and it's really hard to read anything else than fairytales or child related books. I even have problems with those, mind you. But this book was a fun ride, an easy read. I liked that it's very down to earth and it makes you ready for and feel good about whatever comes. I just need to remember to really slow down and pay attention to my little one.
Carrie
May 17, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the absence of a child to apply these too...I have no idea how they will work, but the concepts seem sound.

Wish me luck. I know I'm going to be cursing these books when my baby won't do what they say he will.
Trish Sanders
Jun 08, 2016 Trish Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Such a huge help in trying to figure out what baby was trying to communicate with me via their body language and sounds. Got some great advice on sleep too!
Yana
Sep 12, 2013 Yana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Има добри идеи, няма спор за това. Но са напъхани в твърде много плява... Особено частта за храненето е под всякаква критика, ужасно много подвеждаща и неадекватна информация.
Amanda
Aug 29, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great tips and tricks. It lost me a little with the whole "tell your baby what your doing" (ex. "Ok, I'm going to take your diaper off now, is that ok?")but I would definitely recommend it.
Tobi
Feb 19, 2012 Tobi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is ridiculous
Jenny Marsh
Jan 08, 2017 Jenny Marsh rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jenny by: Elizabeth
I found it really difficult to rate this book. Whilst reading the first chapters I wanted to pitch the book out of the window as it was one of the most patronising things I have ever read (Sentences like "Yes ducky, we do project that far in advance when it comes to our babies"). Talking down to people, rarely gets them on side!
However, my sister said she had found this helpful so I gritted my teeth and ploughed on. Once she has set out her stall and done with trying to persuade you that she is
Carrie
Mar 31, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Parents
Recommended to Carrie by: Anne, Danielle
Approaching motherhood is a daunting and exciting time. For me, attempting to get prepared has involved asking friends, taking classes and reading... a ton. It is difficult as the 'conventional wisdom' is constantly changing and opinions can vary widely. This is by far my favorite pre-mommy book and will stay on my bookshelf for a re-read in the next coming weeks.

Author: Tracy Hogg

______
Rossella
Nov 14, 2010 Rossella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Ho comprato questo libro perchè una mia amica, di cui mi fidavo molto, me ne aveva detto meraviglie, secondo lei era una lettura addirittura *obbligatoria*, tanto che avevo finito di leggerlo prima ancora della nascita di mio figlio, mi era sembrato convincente e mi ero riproposta di seguirne le indicazioni da subito.

Beh che dire, oltre al fatto che in questo tentativo, ho rischiato di rovinare i primi mesi di vita del mio bambino e mi sono inutilmente esaurita e innervosita, nel tentativo di f
  • Baby Bargains, 7th Edition: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: What You Need To Know For The First Year From The Uk's Most Trusted Nanny
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Lady's Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
Tracy Hogg obtained her nursing degree in England, specializing in maternity and neonatal care. Her uncanny ability to understand and calm babies led to her nickname "The Baby Whisperer." In 1997, she founded Baby Technique, through which she consults with parents individually, organizes and teaches group classes, and provides nanny training and referrals. She is the mother of two daughters.
Tracy
More about Tracy Hogg...

“Start as you mean to go on.” 2 likes
“It takes patience and a calm environment. It takes strength and stamina. It takes respect and kindness. It takes responsibility and discipline. It takes attention and keen observation. It takes time and practice—a lot of doing it wrong before you get it right. And it takes listening to your own intuition. Notice how often” 1 likes