Start by marking “Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  849 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Unnerved by the ceaseless demands of your toddler? Concerned that your two-year-old isn’t developing on schedule? You clearly need to spend some time with Tracy Hogg. Nicknamed the “baby whisperer” by grateful parents because of her extraordinary gift for understanding and connecting with children, Tracy became internationally famous after the smashing success of her New Y ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers

Nikki Magennis
This book is making me very uncomfortable. For a start, the subtitle is 'how to control' your toddler. Really wary of books that purport to teach 'control' of children. The word 'Guide', for example, might have had more positive overtones. There's also a strange presumption that all babies/families follow the same routines/have the same lifestyles. There's absolutely no suggestion in here that some families co-sleep, for example, not because they have failed to get their child into a cot, but be ...more
Gunner McGrath
When my son was four months old, a friend recommended Tracy's book The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems for us to learn how to deal with the frustration of his difficult sleeping. Following her technique in that book saved me and my wife from going insane.

Now that my son is two, he's presenting a whole new set of challenges, particularly that we are not really sure how to properly discipline him so he learns good lessons. I decided this time I needed to dive in and read this book cover-to
Kathleen Garber
Oct 06, 2007 Kathleen Garber rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents when their kids turn 8 months
I have not read Secrets of the Baby Whisperer but this book was great. Granted, since I read so much, I already knew most of these tactics even before my children were born but it is different actually putting them into practice sometimes.

Chapter Headings: Toddler Whispering, Loving the Toddler You Have, H.E.L.P. to the rescue, R&R (Routines and Rituals), Nappies No More, Toddler Talk, The Real World, Conscious Discipline, Time Busters and When Baby Makes Four.

However, before I go on about
Keegan
I think this lady has good ideas, but because I don't feel like I match up with her ideal parent (which really does sound amazing) I find them slightly overwhelming. The first day I read this book in large doses I did not feel good about myself. I've decided I've read enough of this book and it's time to return it. I am trying to apply the ideas that I came across that seemed useful. But I just couldn't handle an intensive reading of this book because it didn't really help me.
Natalie
I finally finished this book! Not that it's a hard read, it's just not a priority with a kid and nap opportunities (or, let's be honest, American Idol on). It was good though. I definitely am happy to have any tips on making my life run more smoothly since this is the first time I've had a kid and I'm sure the next one will be different anyway. I think it's always beneficial to read varying tips and insights.
Kara
Love it. Christian is a spirited baby. I love her positive ideas about discipline (teaching). Just reading this makes me calm down and be a better mom.

Eileen
Sometimes reading a parenting book can feel too much like "work" to me. I suppose parenting is my "job" now and I want to do a good job. But it's hard to focus on reading about toddlers when I've been dealing with one all day. Which is why it took me so long to read this book. I read it bit by bit, a chapter here, a chapter there. But, I do agree with her philosophy overall, and will try to carry some of it over into my real life. You should consider yourself an ally in teaching your child how t ...more
Angela
I read and loved her original "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer", so this just felt like a continuation of the previous. There's another quiz in here that helps you figure out what temperament your child falls into - Angel, Textbook, Spirited, Touchy, or Grumpy. Although I think those categories are slightly too simplified, I appreciate the fact that she recognizes that all babies are born with natural tendencies, and that our role as parents is to support those strengths and recognize when we need ...more
Alyssa
Jun 19, 2008 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers (or soon to be toddlers)
Shelves: non-fiction
I highly recommend this book to any parent of a toddler. The main reason I read it right now was for her "Conscious Discipline" chapter since Ian is at a stage that he is needing some limits and discipline. I LOVED her "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" book for infants. It assisted me with getting Ian on a very natural and do-able schedule when he was a newborn. He learned at a very young age to self-soothe so I've never had a problem putting him down for naps or bed because he knows how to go to ...more
Hannah
I love the BW and her first book and the EASY method were very helpful. Maybe I read this book a few months too late but I just wasn't as interested in most of the tips in this book (and too many acronyms, I already can't remember any of them). Her tips about tantrums were very helpful and now I'm a bit more mindful about the way I talk to my toddler, but I found the section about family planning a little weird. Cheerio, ducky.
Sarah Becker
This was pretty good. I like how moderate this woman is-- she's right in the middle of the different schools of thought when it comes to this stuff. A lot of the chapters were really common sensey and repetitive but some of the chapters I got a lot out of. Really enjoyed how she narrated different situations, really helps to visualize things in action and see the contrast between the right/wrong way to handle things.
Cassandra McCall
Oct 01, 2008 Cassandra McCall rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with toddlers
From this book I learned that Owen will be a demon at some times, and a happy go lucky man about town the next. It is up to me to deal with the crank so that it is put in a little box and neatly packaged away. I think this book gives good techniques on discipline, that puts the child first, but also does not allow one to give into their prima donna ways. I like the advice of just stepping back and taking in the situation before acting (unless it has to do with hitting or biting), and how to calm ...more
Ashley Schmidt
Read this book in one sitting. A good common-sense approach to communicating with your baby before he is able to speak. Pretty helpful in deciphering babies' cues and cries. I ran copies of a few of her charts to help me decipher what my son is trying to tell me. Would recommend to new parents.
Shannon
Very useful book. I learned some extremely valuable tools to help me in my current position as a nanny. I loved Hogg's insight into the individuality of each child, and how to respect and also set boundaries for these little people. The key thing I took away was the kind of wisdom and restraint a parent must have with their children: be consistent, be slow to anger, slow to rush in and take over, moderate in praise, etc. Basically, a balance in all things.

It does leave the reader with a sense of
Rachel
I love this book! I wish I had read the baby one when Brecken was a baby. Maybe I will with our next baby just for a refresher :)
I like the quiz you take at the beginning to see what personality type your toddler is and what parent type you are. Through out the book she gives examples of how to handle different situations with the different personalities! She talks about how different behaviors are not 'stages' they are the toddlers personality. I skipped through some parts like eating troubles
Cynthia
Jujur saja, hanya membaca bbrp halaman kemudian berhenti. Maafkan, tapi tidak cocok dgn "Attachment Parenting" prinsip yg kami anut :(
*sayang sekali uangnya, bisa dibelikan buku lain* :(
Lyndsey Griggs
This book had some good advice on how to parent your toddler. She offers advice on showing respect to your children, but also disciplining them in a loving and positive way. I have differing views on certain points, but overall I enjoyed this book and taken several pointers in parenting my own child.
April
Jul 17, 2008 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers ages 1-4
If you have toddlers (ages 1-4 years old), this book is great for understanding them and how to speak their language. It teaches you about how to potty train, feed your toddler, sleep routines that work, discipline, eliminate whining, and other great stuff.I am glad that I read it. After reading this book, many things started to improve immediately. Thanks Baby Whisperer! Although there were a few things that she mentions in this book that any experienced mother should know just by common sense. ...more
Samantha
We decided to try Tracy Hogg's method to get our 4 month old to sleep in his crib. So far so good, we're about a week in and we've seen some progress.
Molly
There is some really excellent advice in here. I needed to read about teaching your child self control the most; discipline is always hardest for me. It's a tough but important transition as a parent.

I'm not wholly convinced of the five types, especially as she doesn't seem to allow for much crossover or change. All the rules and acronyms seemed to be a bit boxy to me.

I wasn't thrilled with the author's address of what felt like one type of parent, and often there was a cheeky tone of condescens
Brooke
This was an exceptional parenting book about toddlers. A friend recommended it to me, and both my husband and I have read it. It gave us plenty of things to discuss. More instructive and comprehensive than its "Love and Logic" equivalent, it helps to give parents an understanding about why they want to do certain things for their child in order to help them develop--with the main emphasis on parenting toward individual need. From reading this book, I could tell Hogg knows what she is talking abo ...more
Lisa
Colton has officially entered the toddler phase of throwing tantrums, becoming possessive over his toys, not being good at sharing, etc. This book was recommended to me by quite a few moms and I'm glad it was! It was a great book to read with some terrific ideas. I can't say that the ideas work because we're just starting to teach him and I'm sure it will take quite awhile for him to learn, but I'll let you know down the road! I'd recommend this to anyone who does not have a perfect toddler..... ...more
Bridget
This was in a pile of hand-me-down books that I found while cleaning out the attic this weekend. Just like the first book, I still don't think babies (or toddlers) fit into neat little pigeon-holes of angry or grumpy. Most of the advice is on the obvious side (hint - don't give your kid the candy bar at the checkout after you say no and he starts to cry). I think I was really looking for a developmental information book (what does a 2 year old understand? how long does he remember things?) and t ...more
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it to be one of the better parenting books I've read. The author includes a quiz that helps you figure out whether your toddler is Spirited, Grumpy, and Angel, or Textbook. Throughout teh book, she explains how to handle each type of personality. Most of the info was pretty standard as far as most parenting books are concerned. It was fun reading it from her perspective and seeing her reasoning behind everything. I would reccomend it to any parent of ...more
Becca
I'm not sure what it is about some child rearing books, but this one kind of talked down to you, too. She kept using terms like "luv" and "dearie" referring to you the reader. A little distracting. I got this book to look at ways to deal with separation anxiety. I liked her idea of weaning slowly so the child gets used to being away from the parent for longer periods of time. I don't know exactly how I'm going to apply it to our situation, but good ideas.
Nicole
So I read Tracy Hogg's first book concering the care of infants and LOVED it. It was amazing how well her tips worked with Isaac. I think her key to success is that she categorizes babes into five different personality types and for each type she offers different tips so you come away with very specific things that will work on your specific child. Anyway, now that Isaac is one I am anxious to discover what she recommends for my "spirited" toddler.
Heather McCrocklin
I essentially picked up this book for tips on getting my daughter's sleep habits back on track after moving her to her twin bed...I didn't find what I was looking for, but there's certainly plenty of advice on changing my own attitudes to make dealing with a toddler easier.
Eliza Mansuetto Uribe
I like Baby Whisperer so much I automatically bought this one too. It wasn't great. Toddler are much more complicated than babies and the instructions on how to handle certain tantrums and situations were incomplete. I found myself with tons of unanswered questions. I heard the author has some sort of manual or extended version of this book that gives more information. I might just skip this one and go straight for the manual.
Irene
This book has some excellent information but its tone is very much about things you *should* do. I can't help but feel like the author keeps wagging her finger as she is telling you what to do and how to be a parent. It is not a supportive to parents who might have a more difficult or spirited child but it has some good ideas. I really like that it has a chapter on siblings and spacing of children in the same family.
Suki
I was so thrilled with this book. Tracy gave us the motivation, support, and ingenious ideas to help with some problems we have been seeing. Other books have a similar train of thought but Tracy's writing style really was fabulous for us.

This has become the book that I would recommend to any mother with a toddler. I have the faintest idea that I would recommend her baby book but I haven't actually read it yet. :)
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • Your Baby's First Year: Week By Week (Your Pregnancy Series)
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • First Time Mom: Getting Off On The Right Foot  From Birth To First Grade
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Baby-Led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • On Becoming Toddlerwise: From First Steps to Potty Training
  • The Well-Behaved Child: Discipline That Really Works!
  • Jo Frost's Toddler Rules: Your 5-Step Guide to Shaping Proper Behavior
  • Superbaby: 12 Ways to Give Your Child a Head Start in the First 3 Years
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think
  • The Christian Parenting Handbook: 50 Heart-Based Strategies for All the Stages of Your Child's Life
Tracy Hogg obtained her nursing degree in England, specializing in maternity and neonatal care. Her uncanny ability to understand and calm babies led to her nickname "The Baby Whisperer." In 1997, she founded Baby Technique, through which she consults with parents individually, organizes and teaches group classes, and provides nanny training and referrals. She is the mother of two daughters.
Tracy
More about Tracy Hogg...
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood Secrets of the Baby Whisperer Sleep: Secrets to Getting Your Baby to Sleep Through the Night The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: By teaching you have to ask the right questions