Start by marking “Ireland a Terrible Beauty” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ireland a Terrible Beauty

Leon Uris

Ireland a Terrible Beauty

Ireland: a terrible beauty ; the story of Ireland today (1970's during the time of the Troubles) with 388 photographs, including 108 in full color, 213 pages.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1978 by Bantam Doubleday Dell (first published October 21st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ireland a Terrible Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ireland a Terrible Beauty

Manny Hawthorne
Feb 19, 2012 Manny Hawthorne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super read! Wish I had of read it thirty years ago; maybe I'll read it again? You see, I'm one of the unlucky ones, who left my Home (N.Ireland) & all who belong to me; because of the "Troubles!" I'll say this though, that if you're not from Ireland you'll never understand the "troubles" and / or my story; saved by reading this little book. A Terrible Beauty, an irony to put it mildly! As the book addresses, a beautiful land & people indeed, forever living life's irony!
Aug 13, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Ireland, Irish politics, history
I could have saved $40,000 in a celtic studies degree if only I had read this book. Everything I learned in university (with the exception of Irish Gaelic) was pretty much in here. Way more economical to just read this. Oh well.
Clare Fitzgerald
Jul 06, 2014 Clare Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Jill Uris and Leon UrisIreland A Terrible Beauty with the intention of giving it a quick skim; the book is part of my dad’s motley collection of old Irish stuff that he’s decorated the “camp” in Maine with. Much of this stuff is at least as old as I am; it includes a collection of VHS tapes about Irish emigration, and a lot of signs and wall hangings that I recall as fixtures in the basement of our first house, the one in which I shared a room with my little brother.

Ireland: A Ter
Lisa
Oct 27, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several different metrics by which one could rate this book, so take my three-star rating with a grain of salt.

Strengths:
- The photographs are amazing and impactful, and a certain few will always remain with me when I think of Ireland. Jill Uris did an excellent job of capturing the "spirits," both friendly and unfriendly, that haunt Ireland.
- Leon Uris's descriptions and personal thoughts regarding the long-ago and recent history of Ireland are movingly lyrical and bring Ireland to li
James O'Connor
Nov 14, 2015 James O'Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such raw-nerve detail regarding the political, social and militaristic history and horrific challenge of Irish life over the centuries.
My first visit to Ireland, in 1982, included "taking care" to NOT speak of "The Troubles" in public spaces, like the pubs I frequented, and frequented often. Such beauty, such terrible beauty, Mr. Uris does a fine job of wrenching my heart, while also engorging my heart with pride.
Pride for our gift of language, our undying generosity of spirit, our willingness t
Nativeabuse
Nov 19, 2012 Nativeabuse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading outdated books, and this is a great book. It is written only a few years after Bloody Sunday, and it has tons of interesting quotes, interviews, and beautiful pictures I have never seen anywhere else.

It tells the whole history of the troubles from the very early beginnings all the way to what was then the present. Fantastic book.
Jenny
Aug 18, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best pictorial histories of the troubles to ever be published. This book really showed how Northern Ireland was during the 1970's. I fell in love with this book. It's just too bad it is out of print.
Echo
This was written at the height of The Troubles, so obviously, it's a little outdated by now. The authors also let their bias shine through at times. Still, it was an interesting look into 1970s Ireland.
pjr8888
its many photos enliven the taut and exciting prose.

i read this soon after it was published in the mid 70's.

i remember i bought and read it then in tribute to cuch moriarty... it still today has a compelling power that pulls me into every page!
Bap
Apr 17, 2008 Bap rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, non-fiction
Leon and Jill Uris combine pictures and text to portray Ireland . The text are short essays to accompany the pictures. Pictures are beautiful. Ranges from poltics, the people, the countryside and the culture.
Nancy
This book was like a companion to Trinity - the true side of the fictional story. It may be a bit dated, from the 70's, but it explained and amplified the story of Trinity. The photographs were amazing, often sad, especially the children.
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
John Joseph
John Joseph rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Annie Peacock
Annie Peacock rated it really liked it
May 15, 2009
Tricia
Tricia rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Marc Leroux
Marc Leroux rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Elaine Brennan
Elaine Brennan rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Tom Brennan
Tom Brennan rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Bojik
Bojik rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Gail megna
Gail megna rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Patty
Patty rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2010
Marianne Crapol
Marianne Crapol rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Eric Berry
Eric Berry rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Althea
Althea rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Lorna
Lorna rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Kip Hoover
Kip Hoover rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Tom Zwolenski
Tom Zwolenski rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Robin Edman
Robin Edman rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
zenbren
zenbren rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2010
  • Mother Ireland: A Memoir
  • Bobby Sands: Writings from Prison
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • Rebel Hearts: Journeys Within the IRA's Soul
  • Sun Dancing: Life in a Medieval Irish Monastery and How Celtic Spirituality Influenced the World
  • Belfast Diary: War as a Way of Life
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa
More about Leon Uris...