Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)

Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Unrest fills the Dales as Joisan sets out from her refuge to seek out her husband, Kerovan, journeying on a secret mission in the Waste where the evil powers of the Dark threaten on every hand. Companion to the earlier book, The Crystal Gryphon.
Published March 1st 1981 by Atheneum (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Gryphon in Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gryphon in Glory

Valerie
It's hard to read these books in chronological order, particularly when they weren't written in chronological order. This is the part when the Were-Riders were recruited to help the Dales against the Alizonders, but it includes Elys and Jervon, and so is after one of the stories in Spell of The Witch World. (I figure that, by the end, Norton must've had a huge chart to remind her of what was when, and who were contemporaries.)
Bunnyjadwiga
Not bad. Of course there's a lot of romance-novel stuff which I ate up as a youngster, but it's got a nice variety of plot elements.

Joisan and Kerovan are supposed to be married; but Kerovan has rejected her in order to protect her from the fate following his magic-imbued birth defect. Joisian cannot let him go though, and it's just as well, as he will need Joisian's courage and help, and the magic of gryphon charm he gave to her, to follow his destiny. Joisian is a strong, capable woman and she...more
Zimye Hunter
Must read for Witch World

This book is fast paced, thought-provoking and spell-binding. Another must read in the Witch World saga. Andre Norton at her best.
Nona King
As per usual, another awesome fantasy [romance] adventure by Andre Norton. She is always so adept at merging fantasy, adventure, and growing romantic feelings that leave me wanting more--and this novel was no different. I love her books, and this High Hallack series was as poignant as The Crystal Gryphon or Year of the Unicorn. I look forward to my next read.
Anne Elizabeth
I like this one a lot. I like it about as much as it's direct predecessor, The Crystal Gryphon. It's not easy to follow a book with one neither much better nor much worse than the first, but Andre Norton did it here. But then, that's why she's the Grand Old Dame of science fiction and fantasy. {REALLY BIG GRIN}
Maureen E
I was startled by how old-fashioned this one seemed. I think it was partly the language which was rather deliberately trying for archaic. It made everything seem a little distant. However, the alternating narrative didn’t bother me! [Nov. 2010]
Doris
Sometimes reading these books can be confusing, as they were not written in a chronological order. This book continues the tale of the Wereriders and their separation from their world and from the Witch World, and what that has cost them.
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Zaichatina
Zaichatina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Adam Kokkonen
Adam Kokkonen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kidaraine
Kidaraine marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Rita Hanley
Rita Hanley marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jim B
Jim B marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Deron
Deron marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Robert Schneider
Robert Schneider marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • The Glass Dragon
  • Wizards Eleven (Land of the True Game, #3)
  • The Stone Fey
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms #3)
  • Prison of Souls (Bard's Tale, #3)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Spinneret
  • Starliner
  • Hastur Lord (Darkover, #23)
  • Wizard's Hall
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • Эльфийский клинок (Кольцо Тьмы, #1)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Fury
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)